Quantcast

Windrock March 21-24

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Finally took the time off from work to go and ride Windrock, I need some help though.
Which of the these motels is less ghetto, the Econo or the Day's Inn?
How is Windrock when it rains, is it rideable...we ride Snowshoe in the rain, I can only assume it's similar.
We plan on driving down on Friday the 21st, riding Sat. & Sun. Where do you guys meet and where do we pick up the passes?
Anyway, any help would be great...thanks

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Drainage isn't much of a problem here. By this time of year, half a day after it rains it tacks up pretty nicely and you'll be good to go.

When you enter the main Windrock parking area, (and you'll know it) on your left will be the Snack Shack and a sign that says "permits sold here". Once you have your permits drive on up the paved road to where it starts to turn left over a bridge. On your right is a smaller gravel lot where we park and turn around for shuttles.

FYI - Permits are $17.00 daily
But the memories you'll take with you - priceless

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Thanks for your help, we are really looking forward to it. The shots of the log drop on the other post look sick too...can't wait, damn the 7 hour drive!!!

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
I had my intro to the rock last weekend. It rained like hell all Friday and by 12:00 Saturday it was prime. It was slick as owl sh!t that morning though. If you have never been there before, I suggest you hit the halfway point (freeride trail) first. I have ridden all over the country and Windrock is some of the steepest trails I have ever ridden. The first 1' of the Windmill trail will let you know if you are gonna have fun there......or not.

Stay at the Day's Inn.

...whatever you do, stay away from the Super 8. It smells like a truck stop.
I second that one. I woke up at 6 and the guy running the place that morning was so whacked out on meth or crack I though he was going to spontaneously combust.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I second that one. I woke up at 6 and the guy running the place that morning was so whacked out on meth or crack I though he was going to spontaneously combust.
Cranberry, the whole Oak Ridge experience would not be complete unless you saw atleast one meth head! :twitch:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Demo, Captain Toms is a given. How could you drive right by the place and not stop there to eat after riding all day?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Demo, Captain Toms is a given. How could you drive right by the place and not stop there to eat after riding all day?
Its closed...

We never get him on our Wednesday evening or Sunday rides because he is closed.

I hate driving by and not stopping to eat. I usually slam the pedal to the floor and look the other way as I pass.