Quantcast

Windrock - Nov 19th and 20th

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The High Gear crew from Michigan will be rolling into Windrock again on November 19th and 20th. We have made the trip twice a year for the last 3 years and have had up to 25-30 people with us.

I am not sure if we will have shuttle space, but if we do, ask to jump on.

Joey: Can't wait to see the new stuff.

Chris

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Hell yes! Joey told us about this weekend. Three of us from GA/SC will definitely be there. We'll bring our own truck but if you've got the space, we'll gladly chip in for the shuttleage.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I know Grand Haven very well, we used (in the 80's) to bring a little kicker jump to the end of the lighthouse and jump into Lake Michigan. There is a old school SE Quad-Angle BMX bike on the bottom somewhere. I was born and raised in Grand Rapids, well Kentwood.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
ChrisKring said:
We have made the trip twice a year for the last 3 years and have had up to 25-30 people with us.
make sure to have wheel blocks behind the trailer this time before you guys unhook it. :D

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
BKQuill said:
I know Grand Haven very well, we used (in the 80's) to bring a little kicker jump to the end of the lighthouse and jump into Lake Michigan. There is a old school SE Quad-Angle BMX bike on the bottom somewhere. I was born and raised in Grand Rapids, well Kentwood.
Didn't anyone tell you to tie a milk jug to the handlebars as a bouy? Then you can retrieve the junker. The kids are getting crazy with the jumps into the lake now. I have seen a ton of flips with variations. Even a few bikini wearing girls doing it.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
ChrisKring said:
Didn't anyone tell you to tie a milk jug to the handlebars as a bouy? Then you can retrieve the junker. The kids are getting crazy with the jumps into the lake now. I have seen a ton of flips with variations. Even a few bikini wearing girls doing it.
Probably, but we were stoned a lot back then, but we did learn after the first jump though. And we also learned that if everyone put some of our spare parts together, we could have a dedicated lake bike, and not thrash our race bikes. Brilliant, F'ing brilliant we were I tell ya!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hey d.e.f. that's pretty dang funny. i'll never forget that site or the pathetic cry for help that followed, or that nice green dodge pick-up that was parked down range right in it's path. chris a lot of us are looking forward to your trip down. i hope the weather co-operates. i don't know if there's anything "new" that has been built since you were here last with the exception of the creek jump at the bottom of the spine trail and ensuing lander.that has turned into a real jaw dropper for the motorized crowd since it comes out right next to the paved road. but every thing has been well ridden this year and has "seasoned in" nicely. you were some of the first folks to ride the new stuff we built last winter, so it should be as good or better than you remember it. hows john? is he going to make the trip or is he still healing?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
John M will be attending. It will be his first ride after shoulder surgery and 4 months off the bike.

I rode the spine trail to creek jump this spring. Too much fun. Is Grand Turismo complete?

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
dhbuilder said:
hey d.e.f. that's pretty dang funny. i'll never forget that site or the pathetic cry for help that followed, or that nice green dodge pick-up that was parked down range right in it's path.
I just remember comming up from finishing a run down GT trail w/ Julian only to see some activity in the parking lot and the trailer 10 ft away from my car.
Me: "Why all the comotion?"
One guy from Michigan: "Man, the trailer got away from us and almost smashed that silver wagon."
Me: "Woah....Wait....Thats my car!"
Michigan Cat: "Yeah....it was pretty funny!"

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
d.e.f. said:
I just remember comming up from finishing a run down GT trail w/ Julian only to see some activity in the parking lot and the trailer 10 ft away from my car.
Me: "Why all the comotion?"
One guy from Michigan: "Man, the trailer got away from us and almost smashed that silver wagon."
Me: "Woah....Wait....Thats my car!"
Michigan Cat: "Yeah....it was pretty funny!"

Well it was pretty funny Doug...ten guys in full dh gear chasing a trailer across the parking lot :p

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
GravityFreakTJ said:
Well it was pretty funny Doug...ten guys in full dh gear chasing a trailer across the parking lot :p
Oh, I can imagine. :D They told me it drug one guy a good 25ft who was holding it at the tounge, leaving 2 long skidmarks like skis before help quickly arrived.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oh man; if we ever took out a non-mt.biker vehicle in that parking lot, those guys in the a.t.v.club would never let us live that down. anyone who's free that weekend would be advised to make it up for that weekend,that crew is a helluva lot of fun.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
there's talk about having a cook out in the parking lot the afternoon of the 19th. i'm sure we'll all be hungry by then.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
whatever type of red meat you want to char. your bike. how much you wanna bet every thing else takes care of itself.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm assuming from the 'you are what you eat' saying. I figure if you eat nothing but Mountain Dew and pork reins you can't taste that good.

ridinobryan

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Atlanta
Hey. My name is Gary. My brother and I are coming up that weekend. We're trying to get a few more folks from ATL too. We'll have a truck that we can shuttle 4-5 bikes.

Just wondering if you guys are riding Saturday and Sunday?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
with the season winding down, terry and myself have been pounding out 8-10 runs on sat. and sun. bring it on we'll start aruond 9-10am. chris; i can't seem to find a recipe for cookin them fellers, so we may have to fall back on burgers and hot dogs.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
ridinobryan said:
Hey. My name is Gary. My brother and I are coming up that weekend. We're trying to get a few more folks from ATL too. We'll have a truck that we can shuttle 4-5 bikes.

Just wondering if you guys are riding Saturday and Sunday?

A few of us are riding both days, I'm looking forward to hanging out and checking out the locals at the buffet joint after the eating of the rednecks in the parking lot.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
I'm not going to be riding off the mountain this year, but planned on snapping some photos that weekend. If it will help I'll volunteer my truck and trailer to haul you guys up the hill. Let me know.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
CHepler said:
I'm not going to be riding off the mountain this year, but planned on snapping some photos that weekend. If it will help I'll volunteer my truck and trailer to hual you guys up the hill. Let me know.
I don't think that you'll get any complaints from anyone if your willing to haul our a$$es up the hill, and taking some pics on top of that...

Let me be the first to say thanks!!:thumb:

Brian

MoodDude

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
Southern Hell
Guys,
Don't know if I will be able to make it that weekend, yet, I will be there this coming up weekend.

I rode Pilot Rock trail this last weekend over at Pisgah. If you have never riden this trail, I highly recommend it. That rock garden section reminds me of "Southern Rocks" and those switch backs that end in a cliff if you mess up get my big thumbs up too!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've ridden pilot rock and cove more times than i can remember. pisgah is just about the best place i've ever ridden an x-c bike. bring the c.d. of your helmet cam shots of w.r. i hear it came out real nice.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
chepler; if you help out with shuttling i'll make darn sure the gasoline won't come out of your own pocket. you'll be the hero of the weekend.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dhbuilder said:
chepler; if you help out with shuttling i'll make darn sure the gasoline won't come out of your own pocket. you'll be the hero of the weekend.
For sure. It looks like we only have 6-10 people this time. :(

Therefore, we might skip the U-haul and just truck shuttle.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
MoodDude said:
Guys,
Don't know if I will be able to make it that weekend, yet, I will be there this coming up weekend.

I rode Pilot Rock trail this last weekend over at Pisgah. If you have never riden this trail, I highly recommend it. That rock garden section reminds me of "Southern Rocks" and those switch backs that end in a cliff if you mess up get my big thumbs up too!
hmmmm....what were you riding? Me, JeremyR & SoEastMatt were on Laurel Mtn Saturday day. Three guys in grey jerseys, Grey/Red Haro hardtail, White Turner 5 spot and grey Santa Cruz Chameleon....

Jeremy and Matt got to see some douche in a White Ford F250 smack the side of a Back-hoe on the dirt road that was turned off...and still jumped out and cussed the crap out of the road crew. It was a sad day for mountain bikers to be represented by him

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Update:

We have 7 guys and 3 girls coming down this weekend. Holy crap, I just realized that's the most number of girls above the parking lot with all of thier teeth ever.

Anyway, we will be shuttling with a pickup and trailer. We should have room for a few. First come first serve. Make sure to chip in to John Frucci for the gas. He will be riding a Tomac. Look for the Michigan plates.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
that's 10, plus 3 from SC & GA for sure, (plus a few more that are trying) plus the local crew, I'm guessing around 20 riders easily? It's going to be a fun weekend at "the Rock"!!!!

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I'm going to be at Bigfoot with the kids and possibly a few others from the ATL.
I'd love to hit WR but this is the first opportunity I have to get Katie back out there so I'll take one for the family.