Quantcast

Windrock or bust from Washy DC

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
Quote--"a sign is worthless"
I'm not entirely sure what windrock has against signs, but its time that somebody implements them. Not only are there no warning signs prior to stunts, road gap, broken bridges. There are no signs on the shuttle road to lead you to the trails. For the first timers it's a pain in the ass.
Clearly Windrock is becoming more and more popular and with that comes increased stress on the trails. With that being said there needs to be an increase in safety regulations. If certain sections are washed out and in dire need of repair.....CLOSE THEM. Don't throw some skethcy ass jump to a death landing. And I rode over this thing as it was broken and did notice that the last 3-4 planks were missing. Not cool.
Hey swizzle dick, If you dont like it and think something should be done.... Than do something. Make up some pretty signs and bring them to the rock and put them up. We have all been riding there for years with no problem.(we made friend with the trail builder there and he is our personal trail guide)
The problem with Windrock becoming more popular... Is it brings outs people like yourself. You have posted up 4 posts,and have been to Windrock what?? Once, and YOU are going give the guy thats been out there busting his hump day in and day out for many many years advise on how to run his trail system. I say stay home or ride somewhere else. Leave the man dramma elsewhere. Way to make friends dork- JM

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Damn you guys, the kid (or guy) was just giving his opinion, if you disagree with him that fine, but no need to belittle him. I don't think signs really need to be posted either, but I think he was just sharing his thoughts (good or bad). I don't think he was trying to start any drama nor do I think he was trying to tell Joey how to run the place.

BTW, what does the number of posts have anything to do with it? Hell John you only have 64!

ShawnB

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Oh hey John Chimp- I'm already visuallizing the duct tape over your mouth. Guess what I have ridden windrock more times than your mom, so keep your nose out of my post. If this site is the benchmark for # posts=great biker, well little boy keep it up.
You might want to think before you type away.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
Damn you guys, the kid (or guy) was just giving his opinion, if you disagree with him that fine, but no need to belittle him. I don't think signs really need to be posted either, but I think he was just sharing his thoughts (good or bad). I don't think he was trying to start any drama nor do I think he was trying to tell Joey how to run the place.

BTW, what does the number of posts have anything to do with it? Hell John you only have 64!
Did you read this persons post?? He was telling Joey how to run the place.....(put up signs, close trails) and whats the big deal I am "Just sharing MY thoughts". As far as the post count, It was in referance to the only time he has spoke up was to complain. Personally I think showing up making friends, then try to change the world is the way to go. With 666 post when do you find time to ride you're bike??- JM

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
. Guess what I have ridden windrock more times than your mom, so keep your nose out of my post.
Beautiful!

On a side note what's with all the hardcore attitudes its just one guy talking about signs.

I know a quote from a famous band of the late 80's or early 90's will bring everyone back together.

Signs *covered* by Tesla

Signs Signs
Everywhere there's signs
F*cking up the scenery
Breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sign

Basher

Monkey
May 8, 2007
Hicktown, NC
Not taking any sides here but one of the great things about WR is it's ruggedness and the fact that once you drop in you’re on your own. Making it to the bottom unscathed is entirely up to you. You can push as hard as you like and ride/or skip any section of the trail. Signs would take away from that effect not to mention take precious trail building time away from the few doing it. And, I can’t see how anybody can talk about liability when all day long you see idiots on ATVs bombing up and down the road, around blind corners in the wrong lane with out any kind of safety gear on what so ever, hell some of them don’t even wear shirts. When you’re riding you always scan the trail ahead and if you see something sketchy then it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth the risk. In my case it usually is worth the risk and I always accept responsibility if something goes wrong.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
Oh hey John Chimp- I'm already visuallizing the duct tape over your mouth. Guess what I have ridden windrock more times than your mom, so keep your nose out of my post. If this site is the benchmark for # posts=great biker, well little boy keep it up.
You better bring a friend and a lunch, Because duct tapeing me will be a ALL day afair. As far as my mom she has NEVER ridden Windrock.
But you're mom..... she was there and we ALL rode her.
I am the far from "little" or a "boy" and I have survived Windrock plenty and never had to run away crying and snivilling. Maybe that will speak for my great biker skills. I am done with this tread- JM

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I know a quote from a famous band of the late 80's or early 90's will bring everyone back together.

Signs by Tesla

Signs Signs
Everywhere there's signs
F*cking up the scenery
Breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sign

Actually Tesla covered that song. It was originally written in the early 70's by the Five Man Electrical Band. Damn, I'm old:disgust:

The only sign needed at WR should be placed in the upper parking lot and it should say, "Don't be Stupid!"

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Actually Tesla covered that song. It was originally written in the early 70's by the Five Man Electrical Band. Damn, I'm old:disgust:

The only sign needed at WR should be placed in the upper parking lot and it should say, "Don't be Stupid!"

Awww, more wisdom past down by the elders shining a light for greater personal responsibility. :lighten:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Chill Shawn B. It's the e-world. Joey says you can't ride at Windrock...but secretly he wants you to. That way...if you were to ever fall, roll down in the parking lot with a boo boo or something else...he'd feel like he'd accomplised something. 'Yet another victim of the rock" as Joey always says.

Less talk...more hugs...let's ride.

gayper01

Chimp
Apr 30, 2007
You have posted up 4 posts,and have been to Windrock what??
Since when dose how many post you made on this bitch board have to do with riding?

This shyte makes me sick!!! There is less drama than this at haw ridge. This constant smack talking makes me want to sell my bike.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Look, the point here is that in the absence of a commercial enterprise running windrock, the trailbuilder(s) word goes. If its too sketchy for you, don't ride it. Some of the stuff I build for my own use and the use of my friends might not pass muster at a resort, but I better not hear any complaints unless I also see a shovel in your hand.

Be a contributor to the trails rather than a leech. If you think it's important to alert people to upcoming stunts, you can go and tie caution tape around trees for a few hours. I doubt Joey will stop you, but he's probably got a better use in mind for that time.

Jun 15, 2006
to the swizzle dick commenter and joey,why dont you guys chill your old nerves for a sec . all he asked for was some sighns, very reasonable.
why is windrock and or joey above questioning? as far as i can tell joey got nasty on here, not the guy asking for sighns.
it is 100 percent logistical and inexspensive to put up a small yellow sighn saying around this corner is a 20 foot creek gap that you cant see from up above, ride with caution.
and where do you get off thinking you can ban anyone from riding for an argument that you(joey) escalated , online of all places too. dont let your pride get in theway of the fact that your a 50 year old man, you should be the one seeing the practicality of people offering advice, especially when someone got hurt on your jump on your trails.
the level of arrogance on this board is uncalled for. everybodys a tough guy online, but stop and think about your response for a sec. the dh community should be coming together, not bickering and banning just to be right

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Not taking any sides here but one of the great things about WR is it's ruggedness and the fact that once you drop in you’re on your own. Making it to the bottom unscathed is entirely up to you. You can push as hard as you like and ride/or skip any section of the trail. Signs would take away from that effect not to mention take precious trail building time away from the few doing it. And, I can’t see how anybody can talk about liability when all day long you see idiots on ATVs bombing up and down the road, around blind corners in the wrong lane with out any kind of safety gear on what so ever, hell some of them don’t even wear shirts. When you’re riding you always scan the trail ahead and if you see something sketchy then it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth the risk. In my case it usually is worth the risk and I always accept responsibility if something goes wrong.
hey stiff.
don't delete any of this.

because i'd hate to see the above statement disappear.
this wraps it up in a nutshell.

you can't win up here.
i either have someone crying to anyone who might listen, that i'm wussin the place out.
or i have a guy like this saying it's in need of signs so that folks won't get hurt.
and yet nobody seems to be standing next to me at lowes when it's time to lay the plastic down. ($132 just awhile ago. and that doesn't count the 5gallons of gas i'll be buying for the pre-mix for this weekend.)

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
to the swizzle dick commenter and joey,why dont you guys chill your old nerves for a sec . all he asked for was some sighns, very reasonable.
dude chill out. no need to escalate things.
why is windrock and or joey above questioning?
Because the guy doing the shoveling makes the rules. It's called universal trail etiquette and respect.
it is 100 percent logistical and inexspensive
Not when it's coming out of his own pocket.
to put up a small yellow sighn saying around this corner is a 20 foot creek gap that you cant see from up above, ride with caution.
you can see if from a good distance.
and where do you get off thinking you can ban anyone from riding for an argument that you(joey) escalated , online of all places too. dont let your pride get in theway of the fact that your a 50 year old man, you should be the one seeing the practicality of people offering advice
again what exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Are you working towards a constructive solution or adding to the problem?
especially when someone got hurt on your jump on your trails.
So now you acknowledge his trail stewardship which you previously said he had no right to ban anyone, at the same time you are implying he's accountable for someone else's misfortune. Think about it. All they are saying is hold yourself accountable for your own actions. Not some lack of a sign to remind you you're riding some of the toughest trails on east coast.
the level of arrogance on this board is uncalled for. everybodys a tough guy online, but stop and think about your response for a sec. the dh community should be coming together, not bickering and banning just to be right
Exactly right.
This forum sucks and is quickly becoming far worse than pinkbike.

I hope the orignial poster deletes this abortion of a thread.
i'm outta here

ShawnB

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
Wow- I never imagined it would be this simple to get everybody's panties in a wad over a few suggestions. I pay my 15$ every visit and overall I love the challenge that windrock offers. But if I present a concern don't fire back with that predictable self-aggrandising glory gab.

No one on this post knows me and therefore good luck with whole banning, forbiddance, prohibition from windrock.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Wow- I never imagined it would be this simple to get everybody's panties in a wad over a few suggestions. I pay my 15$ every visit and overall I love the challenge that windrock offers. But if I present a concern don't fire back with that predictable self-aggrandising glory gab.
While I sort of agree that the harshness that was thrown your way was a little excessive, you do need to keep in mind that it's not good to keep throwing gas on the fire. And maybe if you would have choose your words better, it would have been met with better results.

No one on this post knows me and therefore good luck with whole banning, forbiddance, prohibition from windrock.
Now your just asking for an ass-whopping by challenging Joey that way. My guess is your first name is Shawn and your last starts with a B. Now how hard do you think that it is for Joey to go down and pull your info from sign up shack?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

Now your just asking for an ass-whopping by challenging Joey that way. My guess is your first name is Shawn and your last starts with a B. Now how hard do you think that it is for Joey to go down and pull your info from sign up shack?
yeah especially considering most of the guys who sign the name shawn at the sign up shack can't even write, let alone spell... :thumb:

"samb"
"shwb"
"shawan"
"showa"
"kawasakashan"
"shone"
"shine"
"shawn b"----------->:lighten:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC

Oh man.....Shawn, you just stepped into a pile-o-puddin' my man. I think 90% of the regular South forum participants had this whole thread diagramed out before it even got off the 1st page. :rofl:

Give yourself 100 points if you knew there would be at least 3 bizutch posts that, while on one hand, complimented Joey, but on the other hand, sniped him one or two good times.(Oil & Water, those two).

Give yourself 50 points for each poster who said your skills were the problem, not the trail.

25 Points to be awarded for each Spoke80 and profro post because they absolutely have to post in every thread about Windrock.

A measly 10 points for every panty that got wadded.

Another 25 points for every poster that helps defend your position.(hint: you only get one defense-poster per 3 pages.....)

Now......this is where it gets tricky: Give yourself 10 points every time Joey mentions how much $ he spends out of his pocket. 25 points for every time he mentions how old he is and how he can still ride every trail out there. 30 points go to you if Joey is able to simultaneously compliment bizutch, but yet burn him two posts later. And of course, 10 points every time someone gets told by Joey that he doesn't care what people think about Windrock.

So there ya go, Shawn.......an illustrated guide to every Windrock thread you'll ever read in the South forum. Try not to take it personally, though........A large percentage of the people here in the South forums are really awesome people to ride with and are good people as well. Just understand, we're not big on signage here in the South as a general rule---most of ours have bullet holes in 'em if that helps. :p

Oh.......and give yourself 50 points if you knew I would get burned for making fun of a Windrock thread. :poster_oops:

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
The way I look at WR and similar non-commercial spots is that those who build or provide some other service out-vote everyone else. Period. Talk is cheap and internet chat is cheaper.

I also support the idea that the harder the trails, the fewer users there will be, and therefore less time spent maintaining and more time building and riding. On the tracks I've architortured, many (most?) think them unrideable or lacking flow. Well, fine, I don't take it personally if they don't like, but they can find/build their own, or ride on the bikeclub's neutered XC trails, or they can pay their $37 at Diablo and if lucky can have somewhat of a say there (or not). I love checking out handmade local gravity trails, where you can see the personality and character of them come out in a way that machine or resort trails usually lack (fun as they may be). And that character is rooted in the character of the builders and the land itself.

Windrock lived up to my expectations in those terms but I do have a question about trail closures/openings: how hard would it be for Joey or someone to say to the first trailerload of shuttlers: "ok, before anyone makes a run, you've all got to clear off trail x" and then you all rapidly walk down in one pass opening the track or even tracks. We've done that up here and in previous places I've lived and it works ok.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Oh man.....Shawn, you just stepped into a pile-o-puddin' my man. I think 90% of the regular South forum participants had this whole thread diagramed out before it even got off the 1st page. :rofl:

Give yourself 100 points if you knew there would be at least 3 bizutch posts that, while on one hand, complimented Joey, but on the other hand, sniped him one or two good times.(Oil & Water, those two).

Give yourself 50 points for each poster who said your skills were the problem, not the trail.

25 Points to be awarded for each Spoke80 and profro post because they absolutely have to post in every thread about Windrock.

A measly 10 points for every panty that got wadded.

Another 25 points for every poster that helps defend your position.(hint: you only get one defense-poster per 3 pages.....)

Now......this is where it gets tricky: Give yourself 10 points every time Joey mentions how much $ he spends out of his pocket. 25 points for every time he mentions how old he is and how he can still ride every trail out there. 30 points go to you if Joey is able to simultaneously compliment bizutch, but yet burn him two posts later. And of course, 10 points every time someone gets told by Joey that he doesn't care what people think about Windrock.

So there ya go, Shawn.......an illustrated guide to every Windrock thread you'll ever read in the South forum. Try not to take it personally, though........A large percentage of the people here in the South forums are really awesome people to ride with and are good people as well. Just understand, we're not big on signage here in the South as a general rule---most of ours have bullet holes in 'em if that helps. :p

Oh.......and give yourself 50 points if you knew I would get burned for making fun of a Windrock thread. :poster_oops:
I haven't laughed that hard in a looooong time.
Well, since last weekend. :biggrin:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Snap son you got me. Geyhound no doubt knows how much I love the public Windrock beat-downs so here's another 25 pts. I hear that after 1000pts you get one sign.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
...Give yourself 100 points if you knew there would be at least 3 bizutch posts that, while on one hand, complimented Joey, but on the other hand, sniped him one or two good times.(Oil & Water, those two).

I'll have you know I snipe everybody. Don't go announcing that I give Joey special treatment. Next thing you know...people will be whispering of inappropriate things...:twitch:

While I'm at it. Here's your snipe of the day. You're an old fart!:busted:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Snap son you got me. Geyhound no doubt knows how much I love the public Windrock beat-downs so here's another 25 pts. I hear that after 1000pts you get one sign.
Will the sign say "turn around and go home?"

This thread is pure comedy and entertainment. Just read the entire thing.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Will the sign say "turn around and go home?"

This thread is pure comedy and entertainment. Just read the entire thing.
Isn't that what this forum is for? Well other than imaginary bannings, swizzle dickery, panty waddings and new guy bashings?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Isn't that how it's done everywhere? You broken-off bastard!
How you healing up anyway?
Well, I am shooting you a bird, but I am having to hold up three fingers.:clapping:
Ha, it doesn't hurt, but this cast stuff is for the birds.

.....if there had only been a sign that said,
"Hey Dip$hit, don't flip over your handlebars and land on huge boulders.":rofl:

mpaub1386

Chimp
May 29, 2007
b.t.w.

two good quotes came out of this weekend.

1/
"you guys have any advil ? we've kinda gone through all of ours."

2/
"that's ok, i dont need any armor or full face helmet. i'm walking most of it anyway."
Sadly it seems that the group I was with is getting a lot of recognition on this board.

To Joey: sorry that the guy on the Blur was such an asshole. I was standing their when qoute number 2 was stated and I just had to walk away. I hadnt meet the guy before that trip and he just kind of showed up with someone else so :poster_oops: . Also awesome work with the trails. I showed up with a full-face helmet and shin and knee protection but the place really opened up my eyes. I will certainly have on full armor next time!

And to the guys that tried to follow us up to the top I must apologize as well. Most of us hadnt been there before and we were all at the mercy of the ATV riders who tried to help us out but just confused us even more.