Quantcast

Windrock Shindig April 12-13 (x-post from DH Forum)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
educated alot of people about how dangerous that places gets in the wet. :D
That was a long time ago compared to the layout we have now. Before riding in the wet was a total lose-lose situation since everything was STFD. We're not here to scare the poop outta everyone with eroded gullies. The current trails are laid out to be some what enjoyable when wet, but you do have to throttle back quite a bit. I'd recommend bringing some proper tires if you have the room.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I rode up there last year and got about 4 runs in and it started raining about half way down Windmill but, not enough to soak the trail.
So I just had to do one last run, while it was bout pouring- My dumbazz took Trail One cause it's my favorite trail from the 1/2 way point,
but, also has some of the biggest rocks on it! Busted azz about 3-4 times! Didn't get too hurt but, had to laugh at myself cuz it was so stupid slick and I just kept riding or trying to-

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Alright, fellas. I'm flying out today around 1PM and I should be to Atlanta around dinner time. I'll put my bike together tonight and get on the road by 7 tomorrow (provided that I can shovel my GF's tired ass out of bed by then). That should put me to Windrock between 1045 and 11, so I'll plan to meet you guys after you've had a chance to take a run or two. Cecil has my cell number.

Can't wait!

--JP

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
We've got 5 of us going up tonight, sleeping at some hotel in Oak Ridge tonight and should be hitting the slopes in the morning. We're most likely going to head out saturday night after we get done riding.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I rode up there last year and got about 4 runs in and it started raining about half way down Windmill but, not enough to soak the trail.
So I just had to do one last run, while it was bout pouring- My dumbazz took Trail One cause it's my favorite trail from the 1/2 way point,
but, also has some of the biggest rocks on it! Busted azz about 3-4 times! Didn't get too hurt but, had to laugh at myself cuz it was so stupid slick and I just kept riding or trying to-
Yah, Doug, Jeremy, Dave, and I went up for a last run one day on the Windmill trail and as soon as we got to the top the gates opened from the sky!!!!! It was raining so hard we had to take our goggles off and 1/4 down the trail there was a river forming the size of the Mississippi River!!!! At one point all of us piled up in the same section. Let’s just say when we got to the bottom we just went over to the creak and got in it to get all the mud off of us. It was fun though and we had some great laughs over it at Captain Toms.....

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Alright, fellas. I'm flying out today around 1PM and I should be to Atlanta around dinner time. I'll put my bike together tonight and get on the road by 7 tomorrow (provided that I can shovel my GF's tired ass out of bed by then). That should put me to Windrock between 1045 and 11, so I'll plan to meet you guys after you've had a chance to take a run or two. Cecil has my cell number.

Can't wait!

--JP
Will be picking Greg up around 7:15 in Asheville and should be there around 10:30. JP I will call you around 9am.

Cecil

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Right on. EXCELLENT day of riding yesterday. You guys (locals) have done an incredible job on the trails over the winter. Major thanks for your efforts.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
So where are all the pics and stories of this past weekends shredding. And what the hell happened to the bikini clad shuttle driver?

Good to meet you guys and look forward to part 2

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah, the bikini team couldn't take the chilly day eh?
That would have made it even a better idea, right!
I had a blast and enjoyed the heck out of all your guys work...
Great job!
That new second double on the new like to have taken out half the Ga. crew- or at least our gear... hahaha
Guess the 5ft. snake I ran over was OK? Hey it wasn't too cold for a bikini and snakes are cold blooded...
Hope to make it in two weeks!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That jump has taken out so much equipment this year. The old style of Windrock jumps didn't have backsides, but thankfully the new style up here does. Mark and I talked about signage that would indicate jumps and merging for safety.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Was a great time!!!! Plus it was good seeing JP which I had not seen since around 2000 or 01. I think the weather could have not been any better for a full weekend up there. I really don’t understand how that second double takes out so many people? Hell I think the lander needs to be out longer. That’s just me though. Trails were in great shape like always and Southern Rocks once again put me upside down on my back with my bike on top of me. One day I will learn that trail!!!!! Saturday night was something though after leaving Doug’s house after a few laughs. Greg and I went to meet up with JP and the bikini team for a few drinks and was pointed by a local to a fine establishment called the Atomic Sports Bar down from the Super 8. That place had so talent there let me tell you!!!! The bar was filled up with all the American Ideal rejects from 1960 to 2007 trying to sing their favorite Karaoke Song. Plus if you were there for more than 5 mins to would have thought you smoked 5 cigarettes. Thanks to all that shuttled that day and to Lu for taking us up early a few times Sunday morning before JP and the crew got up…..

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
In Brady's defense, he was just cruising at half speed as it was his first time down the trail and he (understandably) thought it was just a log drop w/out a lander til he was on top of the tranny and committed.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Wait which jump are yall talking about? I'm assuming you're referring to the trail snakerock and the jump referred to as the "road gap" that was more of a gulley gap? ...cause there were a couple of other jumps before that one.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yah I just found some broken parts on my bike tonight.:disgust1: I now have to send my shock off to get fixed. Greg blew up a rear wheel also. This weekend put a toll on a lot of people and parts!!!!
I had to make a call to formula today for some replacement brake parts.

What exactly did you do to your shock?

OnePointFive

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Awesome weekend for sure, great trails. Thanks for all hard work, really paid off.

On a side note, Windrock can be ridden on a 5.5" trail bike. Even Southern Rocks:biggrin:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
On a side note, Windrock can be ridden on a 5.5" trail bike. Even Southern Rocks:biggrin:
That was awesome. Not the first but still awesome. Some of the guys from Industry Nine have rocked the rock on 5" trail bikes.

I am assuming you are the guy on the Turner?

I was stoked to see you smiling as you came down Southern Rocks, which is the best trail out there in my opinion.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That was awesome. Not the first but still awesome. Some of the guys from Industry Nine have rocked the rock on 5" trail bikes.
And don't forget McCoy.
Went down Southern Rocks on a 4 inch trail bike,
and then took off his front brake for another rider, and went down Snake rock back brake only. All with a belly full of Nathan's hot dogs.:clapping:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
And don't forget McCoy.
Went down Southern Rocks on a 4 inch trail bike,
and then took off his front brake for another rider, and went down Snake rock back brake only. All with a belly full of Nathan's hot dogs.:clapping:
Well nuttypoolog isn't like the rest of us humans, so I didn't really want to compare others to him. Thats not fair to them.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
What exactly did you do to your shock?
I really don't know when it happened. I was cleaning my bike last night and got on it to play around and felt the rear shock bottoming out way to easy, but also felt it was not using all its stoke. It only uses about 2" of the stroke and stops with 3/4" still left. I plan to send it off Thursday to RS. Should have it back next week. Will not be the first and last shock I blow.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That reminds me. 2005 was the first time that trail opened...and it was the first time I wore my brand new D2. Kalen bobbled in front of me..and I fell over the bars on my first pedal stroke restarting and put scratch #1 on it.

Brian Quillen rode it the first day he ever rode a DH bike...most ballsy thing done in a while.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Moto, I sort of didn't help on that one.

wiL, Southern Rocks is very ridable in the wet. There are no roots and little dirt to get muddy, plus its south facing so it dries really well.