Quantcast

windrock trail construction update.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
notice the old windrock church in the distance.

it'll be watching over those who hesitate on the approach to this little beauty.

or we could get the pastor to hike up there after the sunday service, and flail one of his serpents around to ward off the evil endo gods.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
dhbuilder said:
notice the old windrock church in the distance.

it'll be watching over those who hesitate on the approach to this little beauty.

or we could get the pastor to hike up there after the sunday service, and flail one of his serpents around to ward off the evil endo gods.

nothing like a Sunday morning at Windrock, I just love the music...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
stewdogg said:
Is this trail close to the greensboro area? is sounds pretty hardcore.
around 10+ trails (what's the count now Joey?) and all in the 4.5 to 6.5 minute range. Paved shuttle road to the top...and motos, ATV and massive rock crawlers permeate the parking lots for all the other trails. It's the one place DH bikes are the lowest impact....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
man, there's so many now, with all the different connectors and options, that every time "T" and i start counting them up, we get all to hell with confusion.

probably about 18-20 different runs on 10+ major trails.

not open for buisness just yet though. stay tuned.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Your going to need to put together a trail map! I have a hard enough time now trying to figure out what trail is what.:help:

You have plenty of time to put a map together, it's not like your got anything else to do;)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
actually i am "kind of" working on that.

tommy rhea, the g.p.s. guru for the a.t.v. club has g.p.s.ed all the trails on coalcreek prop. and he has a computer program worked out with with a man named kelly garner from a co. called landmaps.

i've talked recently with tommy about doing that with our area. and he's all for it. so now it's up to him when he can take the time to hike the trails with me, and plot them out.

the ball is in their court, and i'm just "sitting around doing nothing" but waiting on himto call.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
tomvan72 said:
A trail map would be rad! I get lost all the time and that's not even on my bike. I wake up lost!
BKQuill may have a seedless remedy for that affliction

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
actually i am "kind of" working on that.

tommy rhea, the g.p.s. guru for the a.t.v. club has g.p.s.ed all the trails on coalcreek prop. and he has a computer program worked out with with a man named kelly garner from a co. called landmaps.

i've talked recently with tommy about doing that with our area. and he's all for it. so now it's up to him when he can take the time to hike the trails with me, and plot them out.

the ball is in their court, and i'm just "sitting around doing nothing" but waiting on himto call.
sounds like that costs a lot of money...I'm surprised anybody would offer that service for free.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
who said anything about free ?

ya'll'd crap yer shorts if you knew how much i spend up here.

and it's worth every nickel !!

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Joey, you are spending too much time on the computer, I am expecting perfectly groomed trails by june

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
SinatorJ said:
Joey, you are spending too much time on the computer, I am expecting perfectly groomed trails by june
being self employed means sometimes you're unemployed.

and right now i have a pretty severe flare up of a twenty year old knee injury that i'm nursing, so that i can spend the next two days building trails(i should be sponsered by alleve.)

you can bet your pro a$$ that this place will be absolutely perfect for anybody passing on the way to the national at sugar. i may not have a ski lift, but i make up for it where it really matters.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the map may or may not happen any time soon.

it's all at the mercy of when the man from the a.t.v.club can get a day or two to set aside to hike the area. they're pretty busy themselves with all their trail maint. projects also.

his services in g.p.s.'ing the area will probably be free. but the services of the landmaps co. won't. i'm going to have to weigh the cost vs. benefit ratio before i decide to go through with it.

soon i'm going to try to see what the costs are going to be involved in getting t-shirts instead. i think that might be a way to get a better turn around on any $$$ investment.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
All I want it a piece of paper with a rough layout of the trails in relation to one another and the names. Hell, I'm just going to have you draw me "the map" on a 8x10 piece of paper the next time I'm there (which should be mid to late February).

I know people get tried of having to explain to me over and over again where trail 14 and Dark Hollow come together or how the road gap is where freeride section and the old race run comes together, etc...

I know these are not correct, but you get the idea of what I mean.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I think that I have been down just about every trail with Brady and Jeff at one point or another, but I still have no idea of what-is-what or where-is-where, when we're talking about it. They were trying to explain to me where all the new trails and jumps branch off/on, to/from exsiting trails.

I think that I did too many drugs in my younger days, my short term memory is sketchy... My short term memory must be sketchy from all the drugs I did in my younger days.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Joey, If it the maps are going to cost a lot, talk to me. I have many friends with GPS's and I have the DeLorme software somewhere so I would only have to get the TOPO maps for Tennessee and layover the waypoints on top of it. I have done this for XC trails - easy cheesy.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Taz said:
Joey, If it the maps are going to cost a lot, talk to me. I have many friends with GPS's and I have the DeLorme software somewhere so I would only have to get the TOPO maps for Tennessee and layover the waypoints on top of it. I have done this for XC trails - easy cheesy.
I should have know that Inspector Gadget would have something.;) :thumb:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Taz said:
i'll have to get with tommy at the a.t.v. club. i didn't ask as many questions as i should have about all the details.

the g.p.s. and software work is what he'll do just because that's one of his responsibilities with the club. that should be no charge.

the printing of the maps is what i'm not sure of. how much $$$ if any.
the club might spring for that too.

i don't like asking for stuff all the time, that way when a real need comes along (like a gate blocking the new gas well road to keep a.t.v.'s out.) they won't hesitate to lend a hand . they're great support.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
or a more direct answer would be "20 minutes North of Knoxville in the town of Oak Ridge, TN. Super convenient to get to.
Butch could you be more vague? Just use the directions on the website.

Windrock is above Oliver Springs. You will drive through Oak Ridge to get to Oliver Springs via Hwy 61.

If you listen to Butch then you might become a permanent resident of Deliveranceville, USA.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
spoke80 said:
Butch could you be more vague? Just use the directions on the website.

Windrock is above Oliver Springs. You will drive through Oak Ridge to get to Oliver Springs via Hwy 61.

If you listen to Butch then you might become a permanent resident of Deliveranceville, USA.
hah hah. you biotch...don't you have a bmx bike to tend to?

Nah, he said "where is it" not specificly "I need driving directions". Figured I'd save him the time of reading paragraphs, links, etc on the site. If he's in Colorado, "20 minutes North of Knoxville" is all he'd need to know. :eviltongu:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
When Joey crawls out from under the last rock he moves and does not see his shadow.
If he does see his shadow he crawls back in and then builds 6 more trails.
We win either way.
for someone who lives so darn far away, you sure have the routine here figured out.