Quantcast

Windrock work weekend

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Possibility to keep everybody happpy:

If I remember how much flat/safety case area there was to work with and the volume of dirt Joey's talking about moving, is it possible to build one backside about 4' high on at the very front of the face of the current second hump so that it creates a triple step down with small or big lines? Either jump to the shorter backside then pump a few feet of flat and roll down the current backside or just boost the whole thing.

Something to thunk on.
Like zeessss?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Possibility to keep everybody happpy:

If I remember how much flat/safety case area there was to work with and the volume of dirt Joey's talking about moving, is it possible to build one backside about 4' high on at the very front of the face of the current second hump so that it creates a triple step down with small or big lines? Either jump to the shorter backside then pump a few feet of flat and roll down the current backside or just boost the whole thing.

Something to thunk on.
Anything is better than the current state of affairs and until some resemblance of brotherhood returns this is a waste of my time. I find it strange that we were all side by side Saturday night at my apartment drinking good beer, talking smack, and getting stoked.:disgust1: Why couldn't this have been discussed at that time? I'm not going to give this lameness anymore of my time I've got bikes to ride.:plthumbsdown:

Jeff,
Morristown races start Saturday!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Anything is better than the current state of affairs and until some resemblance of brotherhood returns this is a waste of my time. I find it strange that we were all side by side Saturday night at my apartment drinking good beer, talking smack, and getting stoked.:disgust1: Why couldn't this have been discussed at that time? I'm not going to give this lameness anymore of my time I've got bikes to ride.:plthumbsdown:

Jeff,
Morristown races start Saturday!
and i have trails to work on.

your party wasn't even the place to bring this up.
i could just imagine what your non-riding guest would have thought about all of this.

here's a little food for thought.
the deep lander in it's present state isn't a natural land feature.
take a good look at the third photo.
the flat area and adjoining cut in the hillside was where all the dirt was mined to build up where the big guys are landing now.
terry and i with the help of brady and JeffD busted our butts to get it to where it is now.
and terry and i have well over 150 hours invested in that area.
and to leave it unfinished is a shame.

and as far as being a place to push your limits.
i understand that fully.
those you are young enough to do so, have done just that.
now i'll finish it so the rest of us can enjoy it too.
not just sit there and watch others.

i'm as much looking forward to hitting the jump big, as i am ripping into the two berms and ensuing trail that follows.
there's a classic old trail sitting there fragmented right now.

my desire to pull it all back into one long run is just going to give a huge boost back into an area we're gravitating away from as we develop all the new area we're moving into.
some of the old trails over there will be allowed to grow over.
the trailbeds will always be there if and when we ever decide to re-open them.

trail 1, dropout, southernrocks and snakerock will always be open.
and i'll be in there this weekend working on dropout and possibly southernrocks if i have time.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey Joey,

One small thing I learned in that trailbuilding class last month from Woody was interesting to note. When they cut a fresh trail, they always rake and toss the leaves and light organic matter to the uphill side of the trail. When they're done digging, they rake the leaves and loose dirt across the trail and cover up the loose dirt that they pulled downhill. It acts as a garden for 'lil plants' to take root and hold the downhill side of the trail intact.

Don't know if that's useful or not....

PEACE

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Hey Joey,

One small thing I learned in that trailbuilding class last month from Woody was interesting to note. When they cut a fresh trail, they always rake and toss the leaves and light organic matter to the uphill side of the trail. When they're done digging, they rake the leaves and loose dirt across the trail and cover up the loose dirt that they pulled downhill. It acts as a garden for 'lil plants' to take root and hold the downhill side of the trail intact.

Don't know if that's useful or not....

PEACE
peace indeed.
and if respect is passed around in accordance with who's doing what for whom, the peace will be kept.

everybody plays a role up here.
building a fence for folks to choose sides over or to gingerly straddle, isn't the way to play your role.
i stand up for (and will continue to do so for every truck, no matter who owns it.) local truck owners who have concerns about the wear and tear shuttling has on their vehicles, and the lack of respect others have for said vehicle.
(we've already lost one valuable truck for just that issue)
using it as a tool to drive a wedge in our group isn't the way to play your role either.

and by the same token, the trails are my responsibility.
and my buisness (and a buisne$$ it has become)
decisions about the layout, build style, and modifications are mine and brians to make.
we have more than just the desires of racers to think about when we make those decisions.
95% of the riders who ride here could give a rats backside about racing.
they just want to ride.

as far as the upside edge of trails are concerned.
i actually take the leafblower when i'm cleaning trails off, and clean about a 2-3ft. buffer on the upside.
this keeps most leaf litter from sliding or blowing down onto the trailbed.
and poison ivey is so thick underneath it, that we don't have to worry about de-nuding (tee-hee) the soil.
and we've seeded shouldered areas before and probably will soon if we can ever get into a normal rain cycle.
thanks for the tips.
they may not always work from one mt. to another, but ya never know.
and there's always more to be learned.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Unrelated epiphany: I <3 Dropout. Yeah, it's the easiest trail on the mountain but dayum is it fun.

Ben, so you gonna RIDE your 24" this year or just post about it? :pirate2:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Unrelated epiphany: I <3 Dropout. Yeah, it's the easiest trail on the mountain but dayum is it fun.

Hey Jeff...the track in Hendersonville just got a lighting company to sponsor them for some lights and a sponsor to pave the start hill.

If all that gives you some idea of how basic the track was, they've even uped the ante to include several.....doubles...
www.wncbmx.org

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Mmmmm dropout! Love that trail. The left side knobs on my tires don't but.... haha

I love the road gap too. I remember when I finally got the balls to jump what I had helped build last year. Man what a feeling that was! And damn near cleared it on the first try.

Truck wear... yeah it does the last time the Michigan guys were down towing that trailer up to the top of the windmill trails took a toll on my tires but they are old anyhow so no worries. Now when I get a new truck this year I might have to rethink some of my shuttling strategies.... :)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001

just post about it

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Mmmmm dropout! Love that trail. The left side knobs on my tires don't but.... haha

I love the road gap too. I remember when I finally got the balls to jump what I had helped build last year. Man what a feeling that was! And damn near cleared it on the first try.

Truck wear... yeah it does the last time the Michigan guys were down towing that trailer up to the top of the windmill trails took a toll on my tires but they are old anyhow so no worries. Now when I get a new truck this year I might have to rethink some of my shuttling strategies.... :)

Hah. when I was rehabing my ACL years back. I could only ride road. THe loop I did was pretty tight and the last turn was down a steep paved road into our drive. Did the loop for 3 months straight and one day ate sheet when most of the right side knobs peeled off as I was turnin' in.

Which one's dropout again?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yeah, yeah, yeah.
i know, it doesn 't explain the black heart.

(you're a real funny guy. :):))