Quantcast

Windrock work weekend

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
last year i built the roadgap jump and trail leading into it off of trail one, and the exit out onto the end of middle finger.

the jump was finished, but the proper lander was never built.
as it sits now you have to jump out 35-40ft. to catch anything but a deep drop to a relatively flat landing.

saturday march 31st. brian and i planning on getting in there and spending all day cutting dirt out of the the old roadbed ridge right next to it.
i plan to build up a much steeper landing zone coming back up the hill at least 15ft. from where the "backside" currently sits.
building it at least 5-6ft. wide and tapering it up quite a bit.

this is NOT a two man job.
im looking for about a half a dozen riders to join in the action.
this will probably take most of the day as this will require moving a large amount of dirt.
we have all the tools needed.

what we need is the man power.

we have two options here.
one is to build this lander to fit the size of the jump.
the other is to de-tune the jump to fit the existing lander.

i'd rather build the lander.

edit: you will need to have a land permit.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
What's wrong with the existing jump? Just hit it and see what happens that's how I learned to clear it. I can tell you from my own experience that you can case the hell out of it and ride away with zero issues. Plus, as far as I know of no one has been hurt attempting this jump.

just a thought......

*Wait a second, did you hit the jump the other day and as a result you want to mend the lander? Cause if that's the case than I of course am off track.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oooooh....give me from 8am-12pm with my mattock and my buddy who's dying to come and free rides to Windmill for at least 3 runs. We can have that thing done in a morning. I'll dig like a badger for some Windmill runs!!!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Having hit the gap, and many like it, several times I can say that the lander and distance to the lander is very much appropiate for the size of the lip. Of course the lip has lost a little bit of its "pop" due to weather and use, but its not in any way insufficient.

I think pulling the lander back or extending the lip will make it too easy and not a challenge to those wanting to push their limits. I thought the essence of Windrock was to provide a place for hardcore riders to push their limits.

If the Waterfall is too hard - ride down 14
If the old Trail 2 rock garden was too hard - ride Snakerock.

I used to complain a lot about difficult sections as beening built wrong, but I realized that I needed to push myself and ride what was before me without modifying every inch of trail to within my comfort zone.

*edit* and I am a better rider for it.

The Roadgap was built great and the rush of clearing it is still as great as it was the first time.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the roadgap is going to be finished off with a proper lander that is up to my specifications.

it sat there for an entire season as an elitest jump.
now i'm going to finish building it right.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
in photo #3, the flat area right behind where doug is landing is what is going to be built up.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I can't commit 100% just yet but I SHOULD be in for that day - especially if I can hitch with the Kill bros. I'm definitely excited to see a bit of the trail building process.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I can't commit 100% just yet but I SHOULD be in for that day - especially if I can hitch with the Kill bros. I'm definitely excited to see a bit of the trail building process.

thanks man.

hook up with those guys.
and two more have phoned me about this.

so we should have no trouble getting this completed.

this will go a long way towards keeping trail 1 open and maintained for a long time to come.

there's another jump a little farther back up the trail from there that we moved too far back last year. and that lander was never properly re-done.
there's a good dirt source right next to it also.
and it shouldn't take but an hour or less to restore that lander to a little more of and downslope than it is now.

these are two high speed jumps that need smoother high speed exits than what they have now.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
you don't want to start f'in with me.
you have nothing to say about any of this.

so go infest someone elses conversation.
now I'm confused.
I offer to come help fix the jump the way you want it.
You call the jump elitist. Doug's posting pics of him jumping it.
I make the two into a joke with even a funny little smilie face?

how does that make you mad?:poster_oops:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
now I'm confused.
I offer to come help fix the jump the way you want it.
You call the jump elitist. Doug's posting pics of him jumping it.
I make the two into a joke with even a funny little smilie face?

how does that make you mad?:poster_oops:
you're on-line track record here in the south as of late, is anything but stellar.
and your list of accomplishments in this very young year doesn't paint you with a very clean brush.

so if i look at any of your posts with a jaundiced eye, you have no one but yourself to blame.

a smart man would let this go.

Oct 9, 2006
An effort on my part will be made to be there. Should I bring my garden clogs so as not to get my pretty socks dirty while we dig?

Windrock is going to be awesome this year! Can't wait.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Its actually Saturday the 31st, not this Saturday.
we have 6-7 now.
we're all set.

the flow we're going to be putting back into this trail will bring this right back up to the top of the list along with the windmill trail as one of the premier runs up here.

this trail has been on the verge of permanent closure do to age, wear and tear and a general lack of desire on my part due to all the other stuff we have.
it's deserving of all the t.l.c. it'll be getting soon.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
  • dhbuilder, you're far too sensitive.
  • seabass, stop instigating.
  • bizutch, ... uh, I can't see what you did wrong here, carry on. :D
If the bickering continues, the thread gets locked. If it continues into other threads, I'll take other actions.

Seriously, seabass you've done some aggravating in other threads in this forum and we had a PM discussion on it. Just stop poking the badger with a stick, he's gonna bite back and you know it. If you can't restrain yourself, I will remove the temptation.

I don't care who thinks what of whom, or what justification anyone has for being argumentative. My goal is to keep the peace. If you're disrupting the peace, being right or wrong doesn't matter to me. OK?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
  • dhbuilder, you're far too sensitive.
  • seabass, stop instigating.
  • bizutch, ... uh, I can't see what you did wrong here, carry on. :D
If the bickering continues, the thread gets locked. If it continues into other threads, I'll take other actions.

Seriously, seabass you've done some aggravating in other threads in this forum and we had a PM discussion on it. Just stop poking the badger with a stick, he's gonna bite back and you know it. If you can't restrain yourself, I will remove the temptation.

I don't care who thinks what of whom, or what justification anyone has for being argumentative. My goal is to keep the peace. If you're disrupting the peace, being right or wrong doesn't matter to me. OK?
thanks.

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
you don't want to start f'in with me.
you have nothing to say about any of this.

so go infest someone elses conversation.
Binary, the message above, aimed at Butch for no reason, should be drawing your agnst, not I.

I was just reinforcing the message "DON'T MESS WITH JOEY". It appears everyone had forgotten and he felt the need to thump his chest as a reminder.

Maybe a little more attention needs to be given to the overly sensitive "badger".

If you feel the need to ban me, carry forward.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Binary, the message above, aimed at Butch for no reason, should be drawing your agnst, not I.

I was just reinforcing the message "DON'T MESS WITH JOEY". It appears everyone had forgotten and he felt the need to thump his chest as a reminder.

Maybe a little more attention needs to be given to the overly sensitive "badger".

If you feel the need to ban me, carry forward.
Now you've called down the "e-thunder" so prepare to reap the e-whirlwind! :brows:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
stephan: you have no idea.

we get to the top of this mt.
and you're looking sooooo far down into the valley you'll be dumping out into.
and on clear days,you look across the tennessee valley to the smokies.
and you hike around up here building in the best terrain in the country for what these bikes are capable of.
and you look around and see where there's so much potential for more.
then getting everything cleaned up after the winter break is great.
as you look back over your shoulder and see world class trailbeds appear as the leafblowers do their work.
and you realize we have more land up here than all of the other places to ride locally combined.

and you have the satisfaction of knowing how much the few of us have created from this place.
and how many riders will soon be riding here.
and how many folks we've befriended.
and listening to the din in the parking lot get louder as riders come trickling in after a run.

oh.
and then you get to throw a leg over your own top tube.

sensitive ?
you bet !!
and i make no apologies.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Both of you got attention in my post. Maybe you didn't read it, but the first two lines and the last paragraph applied to both of you.

I don't get some kind of thrill/power trip out of banning people or having to play nanny. I am trying to keep things as peaceful as possible in here, and you are instigating - as well as having a history of instigating in these circumstances before. If my goal was to ban you, it would have been done already. My goal is specifically not to ban people if they can instead just coexist normally.

I don't care if you don't like him. Just refrain from picking fights because of it. If he gets mad at bizutch, your dislike of him doesn't make it your fight.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
all this over two jump landers.

thanks for the laughs.
you have no idea how many i've linked to this.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thanks for the laughs? "All this over..."?

You're the one who reported the post to the moderators like you were upset over it and it was a big deal. If the issue was so insignificant, why didn't you just ignore it and move on?

The moderators here don't have unlimited resources or time, it's not like any of us get compensated for our time spent babysitting. If you can't stop taking the bait or baiting others, this forum isn't the place for you.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge

You're the one who reported the post to the moderators like you were upset over it and it was a big deal. If the issue was so insignificant, why didn't you just ignore it and move on?

The moderators here don't have unlimited resources or time, it's not like any of us get compensated for our time spent babysitting. If you can't stop taking the bait or baiting others, this forum isn't the place for you.

Oh snap.

Riding at Windrock for a local is like being a member of the girl's middle school cheerleading squad. There way too much squabling, back stabing, and tip-toeing.

Luckily I have my own permit, shuttle truck, and a couple friends who like to ride without drama. So I'll adjust my riding schedule to maximize goods times and minimize the drama.

Peace out.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005

trust me.
these guys are no problem to handle.
but you are the one that wants to keep the peace.
that's what i was after too.
you could have read the report and viewed the thread and let it go.
but you obviously saw the same thing shaping up that i was seeing.

i've been here long enough to know that pre-emptive strikes are the best way to deal with some here.
you know the histories of those involved.
a recent thread in this section about just simply riding turned into a major e-battle.
it was beginning to happen here too.

i know it.
and everyone here knows it.
the desire to get involved in every single thread here in this section has run it's course with more than you know.

and doug.
you stated your opinion about me working on my trailsystem loud and clear in person last sunday.
you posting it up again was nothing more than you trying to politic for your own personal desire.

and as for the cheerleading squad reference ?
seeing as how you have made more snide remarks than anyone else about riders, local and out of towners alike up here who aren't in your little click, and how the trails here aren't built to suit your every need.
you're basically calling yourself out on that one.

nobody stabbed you.
none of the p.m.'s, e-mails or phone calls i received or responded to ever even mentioned you.
so peace out.

and the moderator was summond when stegall poked his nose in where he has no buisness.
going on and on about the same old tired issue that nobody pays attention to anymore.
what he was trying to get across had no bearing on the thread.
i simply wanted him gone.
i get it.
the guy doesn't like me or the way i run things up here.
believe me, i lose no sleep over that one.

all i wanted in creating this thread was help from a few riders to get a few projects taken care of, so that more riders of varying skill levels could ride all of the jumps and adjacent trails.
that seemed to greatly upset some and open the door for others to butt in.

but hey.
just another day at the monkey, eh ?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Possibility to keep everybody happpy:

If I remember how much flat/safety case area there was to work with and the volume of dirt Joey's talking about moving, is it possible to build one backside about 4' high on at the very front of the face of the current second hump so that it creates a triple step down with small or big lines? Either jump to the shorter backside then pump a few feet of flat and roll down the current backside or just boost the whole thing.

Something to thunk on.