Quantcast

Windrock XC trails?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Short answer is no.

Long answer is the local SORBA chapter feels our area needs more beginner trails. The small handful of guys that are enthusiastic about the trails are vastly outnumber. Bummer. Just wait until Brian and Mark get it in their head to build XC trails.

In the meantime there are plenty of double track and ATV trails to link together until you can't stand to climb anymore. I have done that a bunch and there are some epic route.

Nothing is cut yet but the project is moving along albeit slowly.
I work at Windrock doing trailwork mainly for ATV trails but also for bicycles as thats my thing.
Anyhoo, the bike route has been "loosely" identified and it's on Walden Ridge.
Right now we are finishing up the completion of our RV park and campground along Windrock road .
When this is done i have a commitment from the GM to green light the XC-all mountain style Walden Ridge project.
The campground is now in the final stages of completion.

Stay tuned!:cheers:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The project has been green lighted and progress has been made. So far we have 2 miles, with another 9 miles mapped.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
That's pretty awesome. I'm sure everyone is looking for some new xc trails! Especially with that terrain feature .
I'm more excited to buy a pass for the XC trails.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
This ridge trail is like having Pisgah singletrack in East TN - no joke. It's as fine of trail as I've seen anywhere and all we've had to do is clean it up so far. I'm just as excited about this as any DH trail we've built down the road.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
:clapping:

Really doe, this place is real and soon WR will have an XC trail to match its DH wonderland. East Tennessee is getting better by the trail.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
Nice pictures Mark. I didn't know you had even left yesterday until I was walking back to get my bike. The ride out was great. This trail is a good thing.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Wow, we got a lot done today. Thanks goes out to Mark, Ben, Brian, Jeff, Zak, CHepler and Josh.

When we thought we had 2 miles last week, we only had 1.2 miles. A very rough 1.2 miles. Today we got another 1 mile. So now we have a 2.2 out and 2.2 back.

Here are some Google maps with the route.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My parents live about 1/2" above the yellow thumb tack. :)

That's the old route of the Cumberland Trail. That climb out of Oliver Springs is a bitch. If I recall correctly, the trail that your are putting in should total just over 10 miles. At the thumbtack the trail goes through an old strip mine and comes out on Coalfield Road. If you take a left on to Coalfield, you'll come to 27, take 27 north, cross the bridge, and you can pick the trail back up, then it climbs Whetstone mtn, rides the ridge for a while, and drops down to the "flat woods" area and eventually you wind up back on 27 again.

I've got a bunch of old maps of the original trail from Lake City all the way to about Wartburg (from the 1980's). If you could link that back together it would be freaking epic.

I'm so glad to see that you all are reviving those trails. I grew up stomping around those hills. Last time I tried to hike the Walden Ridge trail section you all are working on was in the late 90's right after the pine beatles hit. It was a 10 mile long hellish nightmare of a bushwack. I wanted to cry.

PS: while you are out working, keep a close eye out for the old white blazes for the old Cumberland trail, they are getting harder and harder to spot, but there are still a few around. I painted them for my Eagle Scout Project back in 1990.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
jdshall,
Wow, excellent info! So the old trail was completed to HWY 27?
Edit: Upon jogging my memory, I think it came out across 27 from Loan Mtn. State Park.

Yes, it crossed Coalfield Rd (at the thumbtack), followed 27 for a few hundred yards, then went up Whetstone Mtn. behind my parents house (heading back east) Actually some of the trail is actually on their property. Then drops off Whetstone to the north and comes out on 27 just south of Wartburg. Most of that land is Coal Creek, so I imagine, it would be easy to get permission to build. A lot of the stuff behind my parents house is ATV single / narrow double track. I've ridden miles of it. I used to push up the hill behind the house and then take the single track down to 27. That was a ripping ride.

I'll draw a map of what all I remember with Google earth and post it in a few minutes.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Maps:

A rough sketch of where the trail used to go between Emory Gap to 27 across from Lone Mtn. ~ 9 miles.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/urbaindk/Maps/EmoryGap2LoneMtn.jpg

The Northern Section from Dutch Valley Rd. (at the bridge crossing Poplar creek) North to Lake City. ~ 20 miles.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/urbaindk/Maps/oliverspringstolakecity.jpg

I don't think I can impart to you how wicked it would be to have the Lake City to Oliver Springs section revamped. You just have to get out and see it. Epic Views of the Smokies to the East and Cumberlands to the west. Wicked sketchy rock spines with 50 to 100 cliffs on each side. Rolling ridgeline trails with seriously steep entrances and exits at Oliver Springs and Lake City with tons of switchbacks. Absolutely amazing.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
OMG! And then include the section we are currently re-opening and we'll have to find a new adjective to describe the trails.

Lake City ---> Dutch Valley ~9miles
62/61 ---> Hwy 27 ~11miles
Hwy 27 ---->Emory Gap ~20miles

40 miles ONE WAY!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The only issue is the private land on the 'old' section of Walden above Frost Bottom. That was shut down by some gun toting locals. CC has already said we can use the section that they own, but that leaves a lot on private property.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
The only issue is the private land on the 'old' section of Walden above Frost Bottom. That was shut down by some gun toting locals. CC has already said we can use the section that they own, but that leaves a lot on private property.
Yep, that's what I've heard too, but that was years ago, maybe things have changed? Or is your info more current?

If you could link it, it would be 40 miles + the loop at Lone Mtn. Epic indeed. :) Good luck.

FYI : Walden Ridge Parking/ Trailhead

The parking area for MTB access to Walden Ridge is now in the "Choices Cafe" directly across the road from the trail.

The cafe is closed on sundays but please use this parking area with respect and do your best to use spaces to the side and not directly in front of his business.
You then cross the road on bike and ride about 100 yards to the left and cross the closed off bridge along side the flower shop. The trail entrance is on right.

And remember, this jem of a trail is on COAL CREEK property which means you have to pay to play. Anyone bking\hiking this trail when it is "officially" opened will have to have a permit. The same permit you buy to ride Windrock is what i'm talking about.
All you regulars that have a yearly permit ( A bargain at $88) are already good to go.

Yeah, yeah....i know XC guys aren't use to paying like this but i assure you quality of the trail will not disapoint.:rockout:

Gonna meet Webb sat. afternoon in case anyone is interested!

huckaduck

Chimp
Mar 23, 2008
Scruffy city
i think me and webb and a couple of others are going to go on sunday too if anyone doesnt like the rain. i dont know how far up the trail has been cleared to this point, i know there has been work done since last sunday, this place is so cool. its on the spine of the ridge and you can see just about everything on both sides, even the smokies. i will have to so a veiwshed analysis once i get a good DEM of the ridge. this place is gonna rock. :rockout:

Since you guys were up clearing trails last sunday, Brian "the machine" Poston has added another '2000 feet or so.

Seriously, the guy has 2 kids, a girlfriend, 2 shifts at a night time job, gym membership, rides trail regularly ans STILL finds time to build swett a$$ trail.
Take note people, take note....:bonk:

huckaduck

Chimp
Mar 23, 2008
Scruffy city
Today me, Mark Zaki Buddy, and later Loo went up and worked some more on the trail, the farther we go the better it looks, it really starts to open up a little, there are going to be some cool little jumps and drops in there, and it has a lot of flow to it, this trail is going to be an awesome all-mtn trail. Mark took some pics, the leaf blowers are what are really needed the most up there, that damn rake will wear you out in no time. by the time i saw doug on his way in, i was beat. thanks to "The Cell" Mark and Loo.