Quantcast

winter (car) tire question...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've had my current winter tires since I bought my car new in 2013. I have a vague recollection that they were beginning to feel worn at the end of last winter (had trouble getting up some snowy hills, seemed to take longer to brake that they should when it was slippery out, maybe a bit of understeer in certain corners). After 6 winters, I wouldn't be surprised if they need to be replaced (though I turned over 100,00 kms this summer - 62,000 mi). I will have a closer look at them this weekend to see what state they're in.

I know that normally you replace all four tires as a package. But I have a front-wheel drive manual transmission (Mazda CX-5) vehicle. I'm wondering if it would be feasible to just replace the front tires? Any thoughts from the :monkey: gallery?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Replace 'em all. They do have a manufacturing date on them somewhere, btw.

I'd go for Nokian Hakka R3 +/- SUV if you need the extra load rating.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What's the wear like across all four?
A set of tyres is probably the same cost as your deductible and a lot less hassle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fresh snows up front and worn ones in the rear just lets your front end stop while your ass end tries to make a passing maneuver.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I do all at the same time - equal traction across the board.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Yeah - replace all 4.

Do you mean you have put 62,000 miles on the snow tires?? Because that would be AMAZING.
I'm reading that as 100k km over winter + non-winter tires, so more like 25,000 miles on the winters. That sounds more like my experience.

Replace 'em all. They do have a manufacturing date on them somewhere, btw.

I'd go for Nokian Hakka R3 +/- SUV if you need the extra load rating.
And the useful lifespan of tires is five years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do all four.

From what I gather, you rarely drive anyways, so just get any name brand winter tire. I've personally had good results with Pirelli, General Tire and Toyo with their walnut shell technology.

You can usually find a deal around this time of year where you can get a rebate for the equal amount of the cost of at least one tire.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The older a tire gets, the less reactive the rubber gets. The reactivity level is a large portion of why a "snow" tire works.
Err, no, it’s the silica. There are layers though that wear out/off after a few seasons and any summer or warmer driving wears these soft tires real fast, so they can wear out rather fast. I’m in the market for at least two new rears. No reason to get 4, unless you are shopping for a deal. Depends on the state of your current tires of course.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The rubbers react with ozone and UV as well. They definitely have a useful life then get worse.

All four. Nokians. Seriously.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm reading that as 100k km over winter + non-winter tires, so more like 25,000 miles on the winters. That sounds more like my experience.
Yes, this.

Thanks everyone. I measured tread depth and they're down to about 5/32", so they're due to be replaced. I think I knew this already, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Also, if post #2 is correct, they were manufactured the 11th week of 2012... So also getting towards the end of their useful life anyways.

I guess it's time to start shopping for a deal...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Yeah - replace all 4.

Do you mean you have put 62,000 miles on the snow tires?? Because that would be AMAZING.
i ruined a set of winter tires in a week house sitting in conifer once....forgot to switch them out...that was a fun week of driving though....

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Yes, this.

Thanks everyone. I measured tread depth and they're down to about 5/32", so they're due to be replaced. I think I knew this already, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Also, if post #2 is correct, they were manufactured the 11th week of 2012... So also getting towards the end of their useful life anyways.

I guess it's time to start shopping for a deal...
I usually finish the winter tire off the next summer.

I'm shopping right now and so far I like the BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS90

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your car has 50/50 weight bias, awd, only exists on flat ground and never accelerates?
Traction will obviously shift with weighting, however as long as your rubber has the same wear point, you have a base consistency. If it's AWD, you should be replacing all at the same time because you can fuck you diff with different rotational speeds on the same axle. Happy?