Quantcast

Winter clothing experts

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Is an outer shell made with Gore Tex that much more better than one made with Conduit or any other waterproof breatheable membrane?

Example The North Face shells all got Gore Tex where as Mountain Hardware uses Conduit.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
you ll probabally find that 'conduit' is just mountain hardwares version of gor-tex... the patent has been expired for a while... i m sure either jacket is good... mtn hardware is one of the best imho...

edit - i m not sure about these particular jackets, but overall i like mtn hardware...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Northface had/has awesome customer service. I ripped the large panel on the back of my shell, and they replaced it for $40. They fixed it, returned it and then sent the bill.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wumpus said:
Northface had/has awesome customer service. I ripped the large panel on the back of my shell, and they replaced it for $40. They fixed it, returned it and then sent the bill.
did you know what the repair costs were gonna be up front?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
You are pretty safe if you stick with any of the main top brands. They all do their own version of waterproof breathables but they are NOT Goretex unless it says Goretex. The main differences are slight variations in the performance; variations in resistance to water permeability ( water resistance) and moisture vapor transfer (breathability)

For example, Conduit is more waterproof and less breathable than Goretex.

Several important factors.
1. all these fabrics are designed to work better in a dry alpine climate than in a wet, humid climate
2. you need to keep it clean, and renew the DWR at least once a year. DWR is a surface treatement on the actual fabric, it is something totally different from the laminate or WPB coating on the inside.

geargrrl

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jonKranked said:
did you know what the repair costs were gonna be up front?
I think they said it wouldn't be about $60 or so. I know I was surprised that it wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be and cheaper than they quoted.

The piece they replaced was in the top center of the back -- connected to the sleeves and shoulder area about 24"x18".

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
geargrrl said:
You are pretty safe if you stick with any of the main top brands. They all do their own version of waterproof breathables but they are NOT Goretex unless it says Goretex. The main differences are slight variations in the performance; variations in resistance to water permeability ( water resistance) and moisture vapor transfer (breathability)

For example, Conduit is more waterproof and less breathable than Goretex.

Several important factors.
1. all these fabrics are designed to work better in a dry alpine climate than in a wet, humid climate
2. you need to keep it clean, and renew the DWR at least once a year. DWR is a surface treatement on the actual fabric, it is something totally different from the laminate or WPB coating on the inside.

geargrrl

How do you renew it? I got a 10 year old North Face Jacket that I've never retreated. I notice that water no longer beads off but smears.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
SkaredShtles said:
Nikwax has a wash-in DWR product as well.
Nikwax is good, also Grangers' makes excellent stuff.

It is a two step process - wash it, and then re do the DWR with the second step.
Nikwax it's Tech Wash then TX Direct,
Granger's it's G-was followed by Wash-in Waterproofing.

Do not use Scotch guard, use products specifically formulated for waterproof breathables.

In case you are wondering how I know all this stuff
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/about/whatis.asp

I am factory authorized for non-warranty work by the North Face and other companies.

gg

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Some of the people who started the North Face, left because the North Face blows now and started Mountain Hardware. That's why some of Mountain Hardware stuff is so nice, like the old North Face stuff used to be.

Gore-tex is heavy. Heavier than pretty much everything else. And usually more expensive.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
North Face is now owned by Vanity Fair corp, they've moved an awful long way from their mountaineering roots. VFC also owns Lee, Wrangler, Riders, Rustler, Vanity Fair, Vassarette, Vans, and Jansport to name a few.

They've got a lot riding on a brand name.

My favorite brands for technical outerwear are Arcteryx (worth every penny) Patagonia, Marmot and MH. There are other good ones too.

gg.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
For outer shells, Marmot has pretty good features/ quality for your dollar.
I have a MH, but the Marmot was half the price and 90% of the garmet.

Also, REI house brand is pretty good. It's no good if you're a brand whore, but the stuff is a great deal.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Yep, REI house brand is good value. One nice thing about REI is that they really do have a lifetime warranty. You can take just about anything back for replacement, with no "product lifetime" clause to worry about.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
geargrrl said:
North Face is now owned by Vanity Fair corp, they've moved an awful long way from their mountaineering roots. VFC also owns Lee, Wrangler, Riders, Rustler, Vanity Fair, Vassarette, Vans, and Jansport to name a few.
Exactly. Which is why now all their stuff is garbage.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
But it's so cheap! You can get it at Costco and Sports Authority! Plus I found a great deal on ebay....

Forgeries of TNF are rampant. I wish I had a buck for every one that came through my shop. The forgers are so good they have #800 numbers and answer the phone, "North Face".

Story - I'm with a ski patrol that does a huge swap every year. Two years ago, someone brought in 200 "North Face" coats that didn't look right, so the guy checking them in called me down to take a look at them. Total crap forgeries. They called in the sherriff, confiscated them, the guy is crying that he spent his college tuition on them blah blah blah.... he bought them out of a container on a Seattle dock, duh.