Quantcast

Winter gloves

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Sir, this is the internet, answers are a search engine away. But the internet doesn't have hands and I assume some if not most of you do.

I'm looking for a pair of winter gloves for road riding for when it sucks and is 30-someodd degrees and windy. I had a pair of Pearl Izumis for what worked pretty well but popped out of my jersey pocket somewhere on 9W last year. Would prefer 5 finger over lobster, I have a pair of those I dislike already.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Once it gets close or below freezing I always liked Pearl Izumi Amfib's. No idea what they currently have in their lineup though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I really like my 100% brisker gloves- they are great for the seasonal transition where it's like 35-55 degrees outside. Below that, in strong winds where it's already around freezing, they taper off dramatically. Still, they have a nice thin palm and heavy back that keeps my hands warm, and I've realized I hate riding in sub-freezing temps anyways. Might be worth a look unless you're looking for truly cold gloves.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I really like my 100% brisker gloves- they are great for the seasonal transition where it's like 35-55 degrees outside. Below that, in strong winds where it's already around freezing, they taper off dramatically. Still, they have a nice thin palm and heavy back that keeps my hands warm, and I've realized I hate riding in sub-freezing temps anyways. Might be worth a look unless you're looking for truly cold gloves.
Second the briskers. I like mine. I've ridden mine down to about 25°F on shorter rides. I will note they run a bit slim so I had to size up.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The Briskers are nice gloves. Basically a regular palm with a little insulation on top. Only thing I don't like about them, is that there is no added insulation on the thumbs, beyond the regular sweat cloth stuff - which I don't use anyways when its cold, because that it just asking for frozen thumbs.

Last year I got some Handup cold weather gloves and have been using them ever since. The Briskers are now my postride beer gloves.

These things are definitely warmer. They have "cold" and "ColdER" gloves (though the latter don't seem to be on their site anymore). The cold gloves breath and are more flexible. The ColdER gloves are thicker and have insulation on the palms as well - I've only used these a few times, as they are very warm.

These might be the same thing as the ColdER gloves - https://handupgloves.com/collections/all-snow/products/snow-gloves-blackout-bolts-spring-2020

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Once it gets close or below freezing I always liked Pearl Izumi Amfib's. No idea what they currently have in their lineup though.
What flavor Amfibs? There are like 8 now and lolidunno. I'd like something thicker and better insulated than the briskers. I think with a balaclava, thermal tights and better gloves, I might be OK riding in the winter.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Was out today with temps in the upper 30s and a bit windy. I'm set with the rest of my ensamble, having a good base layer is the shit. I was wearing a pair of gore wind stopper gloves I found in my reject pile, which , besides being a size too small, did all of jack shit to stop any wind. All 11 of my fingers and were cold. Fuck those things.

Anyway, going to try a pair of the Pearl Izumi Amfibs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What flavor Amfibs? There are like 8 now and lolidunno. I'd like something thicker and better insulated than the briskers. I think with a balaclava, thermal tights and better gloves, I might be OK riding in the winter.
Not sure on the current offerings versus my old ones.

I've a couple of pairs of the Amfib tights I wear over bibs that I've had for 13ish years and those have been good down to single digits.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sadly it looks like they are no longer made but I actually run a pair of West Marine sailing gloves in the winter. Thicker faux leather palms and fingers and the rest of the glove is neoprene. Faux leather isn't waterproof but they still work well when wet.

Also good for winter mimosas at the yacht club.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was out today with temps in the upper 30s and a bit windy. I'm set with the rest of my ensamble, having a good base layer is the shit. I was wearing a pair of gore wind stopper gloves I found in my reject pile, which , besides being a size too small, did all of jack shit to stop any wind. All 11 of my fingers and were cold. Fuck those things.

Windchill on the road will require warmer gloves than MTB'ing at the same temp will require.

Check out prices on the PI website versus wherever else you're shopping, they've been hitting me with sale emails for ages.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The good news is you need about 28 degrees before frostbite is even possible.