Quantcast

Winter ridding.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Well I have no license until Jan. 10th long story. Anyway bicycles have become my main form of transportation, and I have never rode in the winter other than a little around town, on an MTB. I live in Ohio, and we get some decent snow. Just wondering how well a roadie gets along in the snow. I am not gonna use my carbon Trek, but my old Steel Frame Schwinn. Wondering how you guys set them up? I was thinking of some cross tires, and platform or MTB clipless pedals. Easy on easy off you know. Any suggestions you guys can think of?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I feel for ya. I used to live in a town that got a lot of snow and no bike goes very well in the snow. The big problem is going to be the ice, that will take you down in an instance. I would say the roadie would work alright if you could clear some cross tires....the nice thing is that cross tires will cut through instead of trying to float.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I feel for ya. I used to live in a town that got a lot of snow and no bike goes very well in the snow. The big problem is going to be the ice, that will take you down in an instance. I would say the roadie would work alright if you could clear some cross tires....the nice thing is that cross tires will cut through instead of trying to float.
Yeah, if it is ever do deep I need to float. I got the 2.7s on the DH rig. That should only be needed if we get another blizzard though. Usually they can clean stuff up pretty fast. I will probably lower the seat on the roadie too. That way I can dab, if I need to when the ice gets slippery.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well I have no license until Jan. 10th...
good. Try to live car free as long as possible and when you eventually get a car, continue commuting and utility cycling as much as possible.

Get fenders, full wrap. Not for you, but your drivetrain and brakes.

If they clean up the snow quickly, but you still get ice, you can put screws through a set of tires, like at 45* off-center. Cover them with insulation an duct tape, run a smaller tube.

Get some cheap lights so people can see you. Maybe even a reflective vest.

Get a rack with grocery bag panniers or something. Always keep an extra set of layers on your bike.

If the riding you'll be doing is relatively flat, go single-speed. If not but you'll still be facing some crappy conditions, consider an internal geared hub, 3-speed should be fine.

I'm looking forward to winter. It'll be my first time dedicated to commuting, even in the slop. NO EXCUSES! :D

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
good. Try to live car free as long as possible and when you eventually get a car, continue commuting and utility cycling as much as possible.

Get fenders, full wrap. Not for you, but your drivetrain and brakes.

If they clean up the snow quickly, but you still get ice, you can put screws through a set of tires, like at 45* off-center. Cover them with insulation an duct tape, run a smaller tube.

Get some cheap lights so people can see you. Maybe even a reflective vest.

Get a rack with grocery bag panniers or something. Always keep an extra set of layers on your bike.

If the riding you'll be doing is relatively flat, go single-speed. If not but you'll still be facing some crappy conditions, consider an internal geared hub, 3-speed should be fine.

I'm looking forward to winter. It'll be my first time dedicated to commuting, even in the slop. NO EXCUSES! :D
I already have the bike I am gonna use for it. It is my old Schwinn Traveler, circa 1987ish. It will fit wider cross tires, and has provisions for racks. It also is a 12speed I removed the front deraileur, and only use the big ring. I am trying to get a job at one of the Bike Sources in Columbus the one I want to work at is 5miles away from my friend's house I plan to move in with. So it is a decent commute, but not bad. They informed me they have showers there, and encourage workers to ride to work.

I really love cars, but not carrying insurance, and not buying gas for the past 3mo has been wonderful. Even when I can drive again, I don't think I am going do it as much. Just for dates, long distance traverses, going to races, driving across the country to live in California, and stuff you really need a car for. I really like the idea of relying on my legs, and not an internal combustion engine. I feel like I'm becoming a hippy or something.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

Might I suggest a 1x9? I was running that on my Redline (just low level Shimano stuff...Tiagra I believe), and I never had problems with it throughout the winter. Ice/snow/salt will accelerate drivetrain wear, but I never experienced poor performance from crappy conditions (even when my cassette/chain/rear mech had a nice thick coat of slush and ice).