Quantcast

Winter Riding Gloves

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Last year was the first year I needed winter riding gloves since I actually get winter up here. :) The pair I bought turned out to be crap. I need a pair of warm waterproof, and windproof gloves. I know a lot of them on the market claim to be just that, but who has a pair that they have tested and like?

I'm currently looking at some GORE Windstoppers that Performance carries..any other suggestions?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the high end pearl izumi ones. kinda suck for gripping the bar though. i've been using these military sur-plus ones that are called sealskinz

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have a pair of those expensive Pearl Izumi ones. They are so frikkin warm they make my hands sweat. I don't ride enough in the winter to have put them through enough of an endurance test though, but for the times I have worn them, they certainly do a good job of keeping my hands warm.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Heidi said:
Last year was the first year I needed winter riding gloves since I actually get winter up here. :) The pair I bought turned out to be crap. I need a pair of warm waterproof, and windproof gloves. I know a lot of them on the market claim to be just that, but who has a pair that they have tested and like?

I'm currently looking at some GORE Windstoppers that Performance carries..any other suggestions?
I got a pair of those lobster mits. I've been pretty happy with them.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=670&type_id=1&sport_id=5&category_id=9&color_code=021

The windstopper doesn't mean waterproof. You might wanna check sierra trading post or campmor. They always have kick a$$ deals on gloves.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I Are Baboon said:
I have a pair of those expensive Pearl Izumi ones. They are so frikkin warm they make my hands sweat. I don't ride enough in the winter to have put them through enough of an endurance test though, but for the times I have worn them, they certainly do a good job of keeping my hands warm.
My b/f and I have those same pair. They work really well! :)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
DRB said:
The windstopper doesn't mean waterproof. You might wanna check sierra trading post or campmor. They always have kick a$$ deals on gloves.
:stupid:

I have some windstopper fleece gloves and they are definitely not waterproof. That said, I do like them a lot for cold weather riding since they keep out the wind yet are very breathable so my hands don't get too sweaty.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Manzella glove liners with Manzella goretex outers. Good and warm, waterproof for the most part, and cheap. We sell the liners for $7 and the outers for $22. I can ride in temps down to the teens with them no problem. If you buy to sets of liners you can you alternate the dirty ones....

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
DRB said:
I got a pair of those lobster mits. I've been pretty happy with them.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=670&type_id=1&sport_id=5&category_id=9&color_code=021

those lobstermitts rule..... i rode all last winter with them and not one problem and my hands were almost too warm.. i was kicking myself for not getting them the year before

edit: I just saw the price on them .. if your interested i can find out a better price for them from my LBS

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I just use north face windstopper fleece gloves, during the winter I only ride when its cold enough not to be slushy so my hands getting wet isnt even an issue. They are grippy, flexible, and breathe pretty decently. That said I only winter ride when I start wanting to ride really bad, its not something I do just for fun.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SkaredShtles said:
Get a decent pair of ski gloves that'll fit over your regular riding gloves.
:stupid:

Bikey specific clothing is mostly expensive crap. If it wasn't for chamois in shorts i wouldn't buy anything from the biking industry cept maybe for summer socks and of course clipless shoes....

Look for X-country skiing gloves, usually can fine em on sale on REI or some other outdoorsy store.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
For my ten year sentence in Illinois I found I like using Sno-Mobile Gloves, Think about they are designed to grab a handle bar and throttle, and are rated for like 40 below or something, I bought a pair about 6 years ago from a polaris dealer in The U.P. they cost me close to $100 but they always kept me warm