Quantcast

Winter riding passion - Fingerlakes National Forest

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
We’ve been cooped up for weeks now with freezing cold wind chill temps and snow here in Central New York and the Southern Tier. We were itching for some good pedaling, and hoped that some of the singletrack and snowmobile trails in Finger Lakes National Forest would deliver. Wondered if this plan would lead to a death march in bitter cold temperatures or sweet ridin’ on buffed snowy trails…

Party sunny skies, windy, and 20 degrees for our little day adventure. We wrangled up 6 riders - TheDude, No One in Particular, Rod Stabler, David, niteviper2k, and me. A good mix of hardtails, singlespeeds, rigids, and 29ers.

Truck full o’ bikes.

Getting’ my game face on. :imstupid:

FLNF is a pretty cool place, nestled on top of a ridge overlooking the East shore of Seneca Lake. 16,000 acres of forest land and fields. It’s not much for singletrack in the summer so we rarely ride there, but in the winter the snowmobiles typically leave us some good tracks to ride on.

Niteviper2k warming up with a pre-ride smoke. :disgust1:

The trail started tough. Not packed too well, and slipperly, snow covered boardwalks to negotiate. Rod trying to hold a line.

There was a little pushing involved to start with…we were all hoping there would be better things to follow.

After a mile of tough stuff, we found some good stuff. Niteviper2k coming out of the woods.

The first nice downhill gave us a great view and the promise of better trails ahead.

Me enjoying some downhill.

No One In Particular pedaling some nice trail.

The trails on the edge of the fields had some big snowdrifts. The effort to pedal through them was like trying to hop over a log every 30 feet. And there were some big drifts. Some of them were packed down enough that they made nice little jumps on the downhills.

Mmmmm, purdy picture.

Riders down….a couple of low speed drift-related crashes.

We met some nice XC skiers along our travels, most of them looked as us (and commented) that we were out of our minds. Oddly enough we didn’t see barely any snowmobilers.

David with a controlled slide down the snowy hill.

TheDude feeling the radio tower vibe on the downhill.

Me trying to hang onto a bridge.

Rod zipping around a nice hardpacked corner.

No One In Particular pulled a nice wheelie into the ditch, just for our enjoyment. Hilarity ensued…shortly after, No One In Particular firmly planted his front tire in a snowy ditch at speed and went over the bars. Not to be outdone, Rod immediately followed with one of the sweetest over the bars I’ve ever seen after also burying his big front 29er tire in a ditch. Cursing the snow and thanking it at the same time.

Loving life.

This ride had a couple of huge climbing sections. Here’s looking up as I start one of them. The snow tends to add a bit of rolling resistance…

And here’s looking back from the top on that same climb. Silly singlespeeders.

I’ve been quoted once saying that Central NY doesn’t have much for impressing vistas, but FLNF had quite a few.

TheDude and No One In Particular testing the ice on the frozen pond near the end of the ride.

A satisfied, tired, and hungry group. Ok, we have beer…where’s the pizza?

Pizza!

More pics in my photo album

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Nice looks like a ton of fun! and a lot of work too!
The digital camera worked really well too dispite the cold temps. Fully charged the battery before we went, and it took tons of pictures over a 3+ hr ride. Glad I brought it.

Skookum said:
That's what we call in these parts a skroggfest
"Skrogg" is one of those great words that can be used in so many different ways. :biggrin:

I don't think we actually pedaled on dirt at any point of our ride. But, we're darn lucky with what we have...our friends just two hours North of us have been blasted with snow recently.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Nice ride report. That Flyte is a 29er right? What about the Rigid Zion? Is that a 26er??

What was the temperature??
Yep, Flyte 29er. Rigid Zion singlespeed 26".

The thermometer showed about 23 as the high for the day, but the wind chill was brutal at times, especially riding across the open hilltop fields. Wind chill temps were probably close to 0 degrees then. Fingers and toes got a bit cold at times, but for the most part layering clothes and pedaling kept me pretty comfortable.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Awesome! Another ride with you guys is certainly in order. We've been lucky down here to only get hit a few inches of snow. Looks like that will change on soon however. A big storm is on the way!