Quantcast

Winter snow pants, no flare/wide leg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'd love some winter snow pants I can pull on, over thermals, or other pants. These would be for everything (walking, playing with the kids, snowshoe, living in canada, etc), and not skiing or snowboarding.

The trouble I'm having is that all snow pants i can find have a massive bell-bottom flare or wide leg for ski boots. When you're not wearing ski boots, this is annoying.

What I've been doing so far is just layering... 3 layers on the coldest days (shell, thermal 1, thermal 2). I would love to simplify with some regular snow pants w/o a boot flare or super wide leg.

Any suggestions? Online shopping has not delivered as the flare is often obscured by the staging of the photo (ovalizing the pant leg front to back)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah some of the mountaineering stuff and backcountry stuff is lighter and doesn't have as aggressive flaring or none. Some have powder skirts, some do not. But I find it makes more sense to use some tech pants (more like breathable hiking pants) with a base layer and some snow-gaiters if you'll be encountering snow. Waterproof pants aren't needed IME unless it's raining or right near freezing with tons of wet snow falling, and even then it depends on what you'll be doing whether it makes sense to put waterproof pants on. And then I simply use my waterproof rain pants over a base layer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Eddie Bauer.

Hey dump, I don't know how burly you want to get but look at some snowmobile pants. All the waterproof/windproof rating shit is based on "the activity for which it is intended". So that means it's for cruising along at 40mph in a snowstorm. The fabric is usually thicker and burlier than anything in the ski or mountaineering catalog crap and they're made for snow boots, not ski boots. Cheaper than that bougie foo foo shit too.

Only downside is if you want them for tons of strenouous hiking since they also tend to be a little warmer than the ski stuff. But then again if it's cold, the same gore-tex or similar breathable layered stuff is there too.

Actually what's your waist? I might just just mail you a pair of you want.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Hey dump, I don't know how burly you want to get but look at some snowmobile pants. All the waterproof/windproof rating shit is based on "the activity for which it is intended". So that means it's for cruising along at 40mph in a snowstorm. The fabric is usually thicker and burlier than anything in the ski or mountaineering catalog crap and they're made for snow boots, not ski boots. Cheaper than that bougie foo foo shit too.

Only downside is if you want them for tons of strenouous hiking since they also tend to be a little warmer than the ski stuff. But then again if it's cold, the same gore-tex or similar breathable layered stuff is there too.

Actually what's your waist? I might just just mail you a pair of you want.
Thanks – that's a good call – I'll give them a look. The one time I went snowmobiling, the rental place had overall snow pants and jackets. I thought it was overkill at the time, but damn did they keep us toasty in -20C. Those bar heaters weren't bad either!

The mrs. would like to give these as a gift, so I'll decline on the pants, but thanks for the offer!

Also, @Adventurous and @Jm_, thanks for the mountaineering pant recommendations.

I think this would be so much easier if I could see the damn things. Basically want a ski-style pant, warm, no flare. Don't want to wear 2x layers underneath it. Basically what I put my kid in... but for adults!
C3372549-88E8-4928-8567-1C3E6892CCB0.jpeg

these are MEC brand (like rei for the Americans) and they’re great and not crazy expensive.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Have you checked MEC or Sail for hiking pants?
That's a good call. Let me have a look. The hiking pants I've seen aren't sufficiently warm... they're just pants made from synthetic material with a little bit of fuzz on the back side.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I haven't looked at snowboarding gear in ~17 years, but I still wear an old pair of snowboarding trousers over my hiking boots and they're not too flared for that at all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was going to make some recommendations then noticed the ask was about winter snow pants and I only have information on summer snow pants.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's a good call. Let me have a look. The hiking pants I've seen aren't sufficiently warm... they're just pants made from synthetic material with a little bit of fuzz on the back side.
I think you'd be surprised how well that can work with a base layer underneath. I can get by with some stupid simple stuff for lowers, like base layer + nylon running pants, etc. And I haven't found any base layers that work better than yoga pants. Obviously you may want a little more wind blocking, but IMO it doesn't take much and you don't need to go overboard here. I have some Kuhl and Columbia pants that work great like this. They are more like hipster-outdoor pants that most people just wear to go to the supermarket and are sold for "hiking" and shit, but put a base layer under them and they are golden.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a pair of Burton Snow pants. They work well. They have zippers on the ankle and a cinch strap for closing the Cuffs. I use them with a pair of OR Gaiters. Work to good sometimes...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Sewing machine and old ski pants?

Ice climbing pants sound like what you’re looking for. They are tighter fitting around the boots so you don’t hook your crampons. OR Cirque could work.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sewing machine and old ski pants?

Ice climbing pants sound like what you’re looking for. They are tighter fitting around the boots so you don’t hook your crampons. OR Cirque could work.
Had a good hard look at my existing wide leg pants. The construction is so complicated however. A million seams, none run the length and are all interrupted by something. Still might be worth a go however. Ice climbing might be the ticket.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
If you don't need 100% waterproof look for soft-shell fabrics, as they're more stretchy and more likely to have tapered ankles (or zips) than wide boot flares...

I'm a bargain hunter, not fashionista, so I just buy whatever Sierra / backcountry have in my size (though assume you'd prefer Canadian vendors)

I'm looking at soft shells to use for XC skiing and something like this (limited sizes) would probably cover 80% of your needs:

Or even this merino wool option:

But I can see how online shopping might not be the best if fit is your biggest driver...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Had a good hard look at my existing wide leg pants. The construction is so complicated however. A million seams, none run the length and are all interrupted by something. Still might be worth a go however. Ice climbing might be the ticket.
The seams are probably taped so I wouldn’t try and follow one. Maybe justturn the pants inside out, fold over some fabric and sew? That’s usually how I do it.

I like to modify my old winter pants and jackets for trail building, moto, working in the barn in the winter, etc. In the beginning, I taped the seams and spent more time/care and now I just cut out the gaiter and fold over the fabric run a few stitches and cut off the extra fabric.

Side note, the shoe patcher sewing machine on the right is awesome for modifying gear. The pressure foot can go whatever direction and sew through very thick stuff. You could take them to a tailor? Repurposing old gear is enjoyable for me but probably not for everyone.

E7AAB00F-EBCF-4649-BC7C-ED8C6AD8E099.jpeg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Well, I got these Solomon snow/ski pants with suspenders.
8EB4D4C6-EBAA-47B0-84DB-56713D7D165B.jpeg

they seem to do the trick. Nice cuffs, not too wide, zips for venting and drag guards on the backs. Taking them out for snow fort building. Will report back :)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Now, I’m free to modify my old one without fear. Will do that too!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Now, I’m free to modify my old one without fear. Will do that too!
Fold them inside out and run a seam right down that bell bottom leg. I ride lots of deep powder days with an untapped inseam. I used to tape the modified seams but these days I only do day trips and don’t get wet from that one untapped seam.