Quantcast

Winter Splinter FR comp...

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Sorry it's a bit o'spam.
Just trying to get the word out and support the SE scene.

SORBA Freeride Alliance (SoFA http://www.ridesofa.org/), the freeride chapter of Southern Off Road Bicycle Association (SORBA), in conjunction with Hcor.net announces the first ever mountain bike skatepark competition near Atlanta, GA.

Keep your competitive edge going and come out and join in the winter fun. SoFA will be holding their first annual "Winter Splinter" on Sunday, December 11, 2005, beginning at 9:00am at the Factory Skatepark in Newnan, Georgia . The Factory in Newnan, GA is just 25 miles from the heart of Atlanta. This will be the first year for the competition from the recently formed SoFA.

The Winter Splinter will be an indoor jump jam/bike battle type of competition. Only 24 and 26 inch wheels will be eligible. There will be a pro class and an amateur class. Pro class will have 100% payback in cash prizes and loads of prizes for the amateurs.

The Factory Skatepark is Georgia’s premier skatepark, featuring a 40,000 square foot indoor park with the only thirteen foot indoor vert ramp on the east coast. In addition, it has a six foot mini ramp, five foot bowl, an awesome street course with an eleven foot wall ride and much more. There is a separate rhythm section with two table tops, a double roller, a spine, and a nine foot roll-in. The comp will take place on the street course, the rhythm section, and the thirteen foot half pipe.

Based on the east coast of the US, Hcor.net is one of the premier gravity sports media groups for mountain bikes on the internet with readers spanning the globe.
SORBA is the second largest mountain biking organization in the U.S., behind IMBA. This organization has chapters in Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina and Alabama. SoFA is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting freeriding and downhill aspects of mountain biking within the South East Region through trail development, skills clinics and demonstrations.

Go to www.ridesofa.org for more details

In addition to a Pro-Purse, there will be Live bands and great swag.

Product prizes for AMs include: Industry9 wheelsets, a Frame from Nemesis Project.
Thanks to our sponsors.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Anyone interested in checking it out?

some better pics of the factory up at Hcor.

K2

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Atlanta, GA
This comp is going to be awesome. Pros get cash and amateurs get some really good prizes going 5 deep in each category. There are two frames, two wheelsets and much more. Check it out!

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
not to be a smart ass either, but why name it Winter Splinter FR Comp if thers no freeride stunts in it, since its a skate park comp the name should fit. kinda throws ya off when you first look at it, plus it was kinda a joke post seeing how if you actually read it it says its a skatepark competition.

On a side not that park does look pretty cool. Would be pretty fun to watch.

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
I realy like the idea of a Free Ride Park competition. Even if a skate park ain't exactly got the same kind of things we do in the woods. It's got to be a good thing. Might be a lot of fun to make the drive just to see how this thing turns out.

Tell ya what. If someone wants to put together a Free Ride Mountain Park competition up here, I'll host it. So, if Sorba or the Triade boys want to handle organization and competition angles, I'm game. Guard did such a great job with the Dark Mt comps. Maybe he would volunteer.

I know it would motivate me to get busy and buiild some new stuff. Right now I could use some motivation.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
We decided on the skatepark thing because we didn't want to mess with possible rain dates and weather cancelations.

Of course it hasn't rained in who knows how long and it is 70 degrees outside in Nov. but anyway.

The factory skatepark is huge. Even if street isn't your thing they have a nice rhythm section to the side of the street course.

Come down on Saturday if you can. There is plenty to ride in the area too. Just ask Peete. :thumb:
The local holiday inn is offering a reduced rate just mention the comp.
I can post details if you need them but I think everything is on Hcor at the moment.

Wyatt gettin funky on the rhythm section

Attachments

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
ZachTheMech said:
not to be a smart ass either, but why name it Winter Splinter FR Comp if thers no freeride stunts in it, since its a skate park comp the name should fit. kinda throws ya off when you first look at it, plus it was kinda a joke post seeing how if you actually read it it says its a skatepark competition.

On a side not that park does look pretty cool. Would be pretty fun to watch.
I'm with ya bro ;)

think1up

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Did we mention:

Pro purse payout five deep with first place a minumum of $500

Amateur class prizes range from a Nemesis Secret Agent Frame to Industry Nine wheelsets.

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
I think you might see some big name pros at the competition with a pro purse like that! Amatuer class is where its at!!!

think1up

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Cool!

So who's in? $1200 Pro Purse! Am prizes include frames from Nemisis Project, Soul Cycles, components from Deity, SIC, e.Thirteen, Maxxis tires, 2 Industry Nine wheelsets, Sponsorhouse premium membership, and tons of other stuff.

I know you guys are out there, show up!!!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
<badumpbump>
If things dry up there will also be a jump jamp at the starlight on Saturday.
Also companies like Industry 9, Nemesis Project, SIC, and Diety will be showing off their latest and greatest.

So come out and support the scene in the south east.