Quantcast

Winter training equipment?

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I have been hitting the weights some to start my winter training here in Maine. I really need to get my cardio and leg endurance up. I have a concept rower that is great for high intensity cardio but being a cyclist my arms seem to tire out much before my legs do. The gym where I go only has access to stationary bikes if you are paying for spin classes. I would like pickup either a nice stationary bike or a trainer I could use with my beater road bike.

My biggest training flaw is my lack of speed and agility. The lack of riding for 4 plus months gets me mentally and physically "clumsy" if that makes sense. It seems like it takes me the first month of riding just to get even half my speed back. I do downhill ski every other weekend which dose help some. And when I do hit the slops I try and ski in the trees as much as possible as its a better workout and much more fun. What do you guys do for training for agility?

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Agility can come from a lot of different aspects of training.
First off, ill say that I personally think you can accomplish more for your Cardio on a rowing machine then a stationary bike but that's just me.
Look into some WODS on the Crossfit site, or learn some olympic lifts at your gym, such as the Snatch, Front Squat, and Clean and Jerk, and Max vert box jumps. Exercises like that will help you with explosiveness.
You can get into strict plyometric training, or things like shuttle runs. I have been following a program called CFFB for the past month or so, and it implements alot of drills used to train sports teams to aid in agility,explosiveness and power. All things that come into play on a DH, or XC bike.
That being said, mobility is a large part of being agile, work on a stretching routine and keep yourself limber. crossfitmobility is excellent, however I use a routine developed by James Wilson for one of his programs, it incorporates some Yoga and basic stretches, takes about 7 minutes and starts at the top of the head to the feet.
Find a program that is geared towards your goals, and follow it. Training plans need structure to work properly.
I started with James Wilson, had a personal trainer design a program for me that I followed for while and recently got on the Crossfit Bandwagon. Switching things up keeps things interesting.
Any questions just ask.

Chris.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
if you have any indoor ramps you can ride on a bmx or skatepark style bike that will help to keep you fresh on the bike

Jan 4, 2013
is there an elliptical machine they will let you use? maybe you can get a free trial on the spin class and see if you like it.

going along with stinky, any time you can spend on any bike will prolly help, even if you just ride in a parking lot.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'd avoid spending money on a trainer. Getting fit is hard work, but it shouldn't suck the fun out of your existence as much as those things do. If you have access to them, then spinning classes offer a more social and interactive setting, which pushes you to not feel like the fattest guy there. They remove the ticking stopwatch on your handlebar, and let you focus on the workout being delivered and timed by someone else. The problem with (most people on) trainers, is that the self motivation just isn't there, because whos going to know if you bitch out while spinning alone when its dark outside at 4pm? It's an unproductive way to exercise, and a real good way to feel ****ty about turning pedals. Avoid it at all costs.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I personally don't know how this will turn out, but I bought a set of rollers and set up my BMX cruiser on it for my winter non-weight workouts. Thus far, it's has been a blast. I like the idea of the ability to get a spin/sprint workout while keeping up my agility via the at least initial heinous sense of keeping balance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Holy crap, you have your BMX on there? I have a hard enough time staying straight on my road bike. I tried to get a workout in the other day and I think I was sweating more from concentrating on staying vertical than actual work.

I think, if I hadn't gotten these for $30, I would have bought a spin bike. It doesn't seem like it's going to possible to work on sprints and high power output on rollers...but I might just suck at them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Holy crap, you have your BMX on there? I have a hard enough time staying straight on my road bike. I tried to get a workout in the other day and I think I was sweating more from concentrating on staying vertical than actual work.

I think, if I hadn't gotten these for $30, I would have bought a spin bike. It doesn't seem like it's going to possible to work on sprints and high power output on rollers...but I might just suck at them.
i've used rollers before... never again. i have a kurt kinetic which isn't bad on the days i don't feel like bundling up and using the headlights for a night ride.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

Yeah, cruiser with the seat jacked up and flat pedals. I found it pretty fun, but my guess is that the novelty will wear off when I crash. Thus far, I have a wall to lean an elbow on and a box to put my foot down on as well.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I do crossfit type workouts in the winter, and snowboard, and chop wood. In my garage I have a barbell, a pull up bar, a TRX, some kettle bells, some dumbells, medicine balls and some plyo boxes.

My son asked for some agility cones for christmas, they came with a DVD, all for $20. Don't know how much "bike agility" they will help with, but overall fitness and agility should maintain well with them. They are obviously aimed more towards football/basketball/soccer type agility, but that can't hurt.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
For cardio and leg endurance, try xc skiing. Skate skiing will help even more.
Being on skinny, slippery skis will also help with balance, co-ordination and agility.

Indoor stationary pedaling causes brain damage after 20 minutes. Ski outside for hours.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Get a CX bike and get out in the snow. Hardpack snow is no problem on mine, and it's much more rewarding than sitting on a trainer for an hour like I used to. Better work out too.

Again: Ride.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
If you have an indoor climbing gym around try that. Its more fun than weight lifting, if your bouldering its anarobic and it builds great grip strength