Quantcast

Winter Vegas / UT riding vacation

mattover

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
Hi everyone;

I am going to be in Las Vegas for the first two weeks of January for a conference (one week for the conference, one week of riding). My current plan is to take a bike with me and hit up some local (or some not-so-local) trails while I am there.

I've never ridden in that part of the world so I was hoping some locals or those with experience would be able to let me know about some good riding in the area. Friends have told me that driving into UT to Gooseberry Mesa would be their recommendation, but I am concerned about snow cover at that time of year. Should I be?

For places closer to Vegas, the Blue Diamond area looks interesting, as does Bootleg Canyon, based on my limited research. Any recommendations of places to ride or avoid would be gratefully received.

For the record, I'll probably bring a Santa Cruz Nomad along, so I am not afraid to sweat it out on the climbs to earn some fun, technical descents.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Matt

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Bootleg is A+ and rideable all year round, although blistering hot during summer months. Chances are places in Southern Utah are going to be COLD and possibly covered in snow. Unless you were to hit Virgin which is still cold, but not always covered, and not necessarily suited towards a Nomad. You could always hit Phoenix. Weather has been super nice, and they're plenty of trails in the area for whatever kind of riding you wish. PM me for more

mattover

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
Thanks for the advice - most appreciated. Looks like Bootleg is the plan. :)

I'll loop back in with a ride report after my trip!

Cheers,
Matt

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm actually heading to St. George this weekend. I can give you a little report on the riding. I think the weather is supposed to be 56 degrees. Not bad for us since we'll be coming from mid 30's.
You can probably get some updates on www.utahmountainbiking.com
I can give you some info when we come back. Gooseberry is up a bit high, so it might have snow. I can give you some ideas on what to ride while you're out there too.

Definitely hit up Bootleg. That place is fun. Better bring your "A" game if you go down the DH trails. They're intimidating if you haven't been on the bike for a bit.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I wouldnt spend all your time at bootleg. moab has tons of great stuff to ride in the general area and is such a legendary place you'd be silly not to at least check it out when youre there from halfway around the world. Fruita, CO is 100 miles from moab and some of the best riding anywhere; horsethief canyon etc. you could also go south towards sedona, AZ where i've heard that there is awesome stuff. Ive camped and climbed out there but not mtb'ed.
if you want specifics on moab feel free to pm me, been there several times.

Last edited: