Quantcast

Winter X-Training

Tacoma

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
WHAT-Ready to get some winter cross-training in for the upcoming Fluidride Cup slalom? Let's race some BMX mountain bike-style!! BMX is a great skill, fitness, and strength builder. Where's the proof, you ask?.......Lars Sternberg used to be a pro BMXer. 'Nuff said.

WHY-Two seasons ago a bunch of us mountain bikers formed a BMX class at Peninsula Indoor BMX. It was by far the largest class of riders at the BMX track and we had tons-of-fun.

WHO-There is a new track operator at River Valley BMX in Sumner, WA. His name is Mark Hutko. He is very interested in getting mountain bikers to BMX races to form their own class. Prior to Mark's take over of River Valley mountain bikes were not welcome, but Mark is excited to see a mountain bikes at his track, not only for races, but during the week for free practice and he is willing to cut us a deal on the race fees!

THE DETAIL$$$....You will need a one year ABA BMX membership which is $40. A day of racing is $10. However, Mark is willing to give any mountain biker two free days of racing when they purchase a membership. If you figure in the free days you only pay $20 for a 1 year membership. I know $40 is a bit of money, but just a drop in the mountain bike bucket!!

OTHER DETAILS-You will also need a fullface helmet, long pants, and long sleeve shirt. you will NOT have to change your mountain bike. Gears and 26" wheels are allowed in the ABA rulebook.

TIME-- River Valley BMX will be racing SAT & SUN through the winter. Racing practice/signup starts at 10:00am and goes until 11:00. Racing starts ASAP after practice.

to check out direction, times, details etc cut n' paste http://www.rivervalleyBMXracing.com

I will be out tomorrow Feb 10th. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Anyone interested please come out and race.

Tacoma

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
The track is outdoor. I saw a bunch of BMXers racing there today. The track was firm and in descent shape. Probably a good idea to bring goggles though.

Tacoma

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
I'll be there for some Saturday race action. The more mountain bikers out there the more fun it will be.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Well Kyle, Ben Wes and I showed up for the saterday race this past weekend. the race ended up being us and another guy named Ben S. the track was wet and muddy and tons of fun. I learned 2 things I suck at gate starts and am way out of shape for that much pedaling. but it was a blast.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Get that guy behind you on a bike. It looks like he needs the ride time more that you guys... :shocked:

I thought this thread title was going to be about skiing, snowboarding, drinking/eating way too much and doing some trail digging in preparation for riding again in the spring and using your off season out of shape condition as a perfect excuse to show the better half that you need to get out and ride with your buddies more. Well, that's what I do...