Quantcast

Winterberg Germany

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Was talking to a friend today turns out his brother owns a pub out there. Just wondering what its like for biking is it worth a visit?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's a big park in terms of number of trails but the mountain is not the biggest. Will give it a try in 2 weeks so write me a PM after 3 ;)

We rode there for 2 days in June, it is definitely worth a visit, the trails are short but fun and there is enough there to keep you busy for few days. The short runs are actually kinda nice cause you can ride all day without getting to blown up, and at least for us they trails got more fun the more we learned them.

There is a really fun DH track, lots of lines to learn and try for as short as it is around a 2 minute run.
There is a pretty good sized slopestyle area, with hits of all sizes.
A really fun buff berm trail and a few other trails with bridges, jumps drops etc. A little bit of everything. Pretty cool little town down below as well.
If you go there Winterburg, then your also only 30 minutes from Willingen. Willingen was lots of fun as well, but don't show up there if your looking for a mellow day of riding. That track requires your full attention and commitment.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Check out the latest issue of dirt mag! They have a who article on Germany! I had a great time while I was there, there trails were short but incredibly well built! 2-3 days would suffice as its not the largest park. Have fun!!!

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
There is a video of the winterberg dh track in the yeti video vault. could be named ixs dirtmasters.

I like the track very much, it isnt very long or very hard but as long as you dont win there is still improvement possible.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Some Winterberg tips :

- A bike with 6" or 7" travel is more than enough
- If you can, try to visit during the week days, it can be very crowded in the week-end.
- Make sure your seatclamp is tight before you put your bike on the lift!
- I would suggest a 2.35 DH tire.
- Never ever use the phrase "this is my last run of the day"...it's cursed.
- If you have a SX Trail - your not the only one.

You probably already found this one : http://www.bikepark-winterberg.de/

Have fun.

Last edited:

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
winterberg was my local track for a few years. The dh trail is short but fun and lots of flow, if you like northshore or freeride there is plenty to keep you entertained. Check out Todtnau if you are in Germany, great DH track. Bad Wildbad also has more of a "real" dh track. I love the one at Winterburg, but it is really short. And lastly, Morzine kicks the crap out of anything in Germany. I'm sure you already know that though.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Winterberg is a top class bikepark and it's more then enougth to have some fun up there.I like the DH track it's short,fast and a bit technical.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Cheers for the info. I've been to morzine too many times and kinda think it sucks at this stage. Not the biggest fan of braking bumps and the last few times i've been it never stopped raining. I've had good experiences there don't get me wrong but as they say a change of scene is needed. I've just been to alp d'huez and the trails where great just not enough of them. Les Deuz alps looks class as i got in some glacier boarding while i was on my trip but didn't get a chance to get there with the bike.

Is there much in the way of trail bike riding in Winter Berg or is it all bike park man made dh trails. The thing i loved about Alp D'huez was most of the trails where just natural singletrack and where super flowy no big jumps or anyhting like that just loads of rocks and roots and fast corners.

The friend of mine who's brother owns a bar in Winterberg is a roadie and his brother isn't a cyclist so he had no idea what the trails where like. His brother was saying that the town council where trying to really push it as a good destination to head to for a bike holiday.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
its on the cards at some stage really have to go for 3 weeks to make it worth the trip. I've a few friends from this neck of the woods who are out there at the moment. Only problem is really getting away from she who must be obayed for that long to go ride my bike.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Flying from Dublin is really not much worse than from New York. You do not have to go for that long to make it worth while I can promise you.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Winterberg is fun depending on what you like.
It has lots of freeride stuff but the DH isnt really challening, its fun though and you can do lots of runs.
If youre in Germany anyways Id suggest Todtnau, Bad Wildbad or Bischofsmais as mentioned before. Theres even better tracks but they are only opend during iXS races and have no lift acces...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Willingen is pretty close to Winterberg as well. If you are into huge jumps... :brows: