Quantcast

Wintergreen DH and Sherando Lake

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
I am going to my cabin in Wintergreen for memorial day weekend. Now that the trails closed :disgust1: I was wondering if there are any shuttle DH/FR trails in the area. Since I live right by the top of the mountain (think it is called Devil's Elbow) I am planning on cruising down the ski hill on my bike. This is the side of the mountain where the original trails aren't. I will probably get in serious trouble but whatever. Anyway, besides the logger' Alley run which i have down like 50 times, is there any other DH/FR stuff on the mountain or near Sherando Lake?

Thanks,
Matt

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I'm pretty sure you can shuttle the Big Levels area around sherando with access off the parkway. I've never personally done it but have heard of it happening. If I remember correctly, the trails are Torrey and I think Slacks...

PM mud'n'sweat, and he'll be able to give you the info you need.

Cycle-Recycle used to run a shuttle out there, but have since stopped (owner's the mother of a friend)

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I'm from Staunton and grew up riding at Big Levels and eventually Sherando as my skill grew.

There are a few shuttle-able rides that run from the Parkway down into Sherando. My favorite was always White Rock Falls. Don't miss that if you're going to be in the area, but if you do, be sure to bring extra tubes!

PM me for some more info about both areas if you'd like!

EDIT: I can't remember the name of it...but there is a park in Crozet (other side of Afton Mtn.) that has a decent little network of semi-challenging XC trails; stuff well-suited for a relaxing, slow-paced ride.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
I know the Sherando area very well. It is the total package. Any type of rock garden you want, fun swooping turns, fast smooth roller coaster single track, a couple of drops. If you are shuttling, go to Bald mt. (mile marker 21 or so) on the parkway, take a right @ the T and look for the trail on the left. Hang a right at the next intersection on the trail. One of my favorite spots is a small section just before you get to White Rock Gap. From then on its pretty mellow for the next two miles to the lake.
Caution: Be prepared to peddle.
Also: watch out for hikers! IM sure there will be many.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
About to ride Logger's Alley twice today. Rode it yesterday. So much fun. It sucks though, it was $50 for a pass and to rent a crappy like 1992 Kona Stinky. The shuttle was also 30 minutes late. Some guys built some berms and rock drops though.

jaekormtb

Chimp
Jan 29, 2002
South Korea & Virginia
I've shuttled Sherando a few times. The trails off of Torry ridge are great. These include White Rock Gap and the two Blue Loop trails. They are, however, quite a long ride. On a dedicated DH bike, you'll be pushing a fair bit, but it's worth it. On a dual duty bike, I don't think you'll lose anything to the DH bike, and you'll have a shot at the climbs. The shuttle ride to the top is kind of long: around 20-25 minutes. Get four or five buddies (easily found on this board), pack lunch, and plan to be there at least 5 hours.