Quantcast

Wintergreen Report and a few pictures

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
More importantly than when they open, WHAT is going to be open? Are there any new trails? Have the old trails been taken care of? Are the freeride stunts reinforced?

Wintergreen used to be the deal, and if they are taking care of stuff, I'm TOTALLY down for riding there. If the trails are all shot to hell, and the stunts are sketchy and rotting, maybe not.

Also, how much is a day pass?

Thanks for the info, and thanks for coming to the board!
When we open Memorial weekend, most of the old lift serviced downhill trail system and the shuttle serviced 7 mile "Loggers Alley" fire road from the resort at the top of the mountain down to the Stoney Creek Golf Course, will be open. A few new trails were added to the lift serviced system a couple of years ago but most are the same as they were early this decade.

The trails are being taken care of and generally are in fair to good shape. One section of one of the expert trails will be closed for opening until we have time and resources to repair the erosion.

Needing the most work is Mecca, the freeride section. Some of the wooden features are in need of repair and those features will be closed until that is done. Those in good shape will be open.

A day pass remains $35.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
It seems that with some much closed for repair and other trails being in "fair" shape there would be a reduced fee until Wintergreen spends the proper time and resources to fix things back up.

I'm not a freeride or DH guy, so I have no vested interest. That just seems like the logical/business minded thing to do.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
No, actually last year I thought, for the staff, it was ok. I think the resort is testing the waters with new ownership. It could be a slammin place if someone was put in charge of the trails and bikes.

However the resort would have to have faith in the indivisual, and allow the person to have a bit of a say so, and allow them some leeway in how things should be done.....

Just my 2 cents, but for Richmonders, its a fun day-trip, and is not to far for the DC folks.

Then of course this discussion about the resort has been beaten into the ground, dug up, and beaten again...

It would be nice for the resort to actually listen to the riders who ride there...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
is it really that bad? i heard people were having fun down there even though it was kinda ghetto. I'm def going to make it down once this summer.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
sounds like a ****hole as it was the last two years

Or, maybe you are just an a**hole.

Come on, they are trying. If you don't want to ride there don't.

I actually like having an easy day trip to a lift serviced mountain. When I originally started this thread two years ago, I had a ton of fun there. 3 seasons ago, it was the only place I rode.

Anyway, I'm excited about the lift serviced stuff being open, Loggers Alley not so much, I don't want to get 5 flats in a run again!

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Mike go easy on the kid....especially after I saw the stuff he built in Centreville/Clifton....I mean he is the last person that should be talking about places being a #$#@hole. Wintergreen is what you make it. I could sit here a piss and moan about my experience at Wintergreen, Mike was there and saw first hand that $10 mechanical rear disc brake (rear only no front brake) 24" street tires, 40# chro moly hardtail, Stupid crazy rider and ski slopes dont mix too well....especially when you literally melt your brakes and lose them halfway down.....I didnt get all pissy and quit riding, I just started using Saplings to stop me on the trails.

I would be all for giving Wintergreen another shot especially after all that is going on at the "shoe"

Man that was a fun day!!!! Makes me want to take my brakes off and go ride into some tree's!!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Or, maybe you are just an a**hole.

Come on, they are trying. If you don't want to ride there don't.

I actually like having an easy day trip to a lift serviced mountain. When I originally started this thread two years ago, I had a ton of fun there. 3 seasons ago, it was the only place I rode.

Anyway, I'm excited about the lift serviced stuff being open, Loggers Alley not so much, I don't want to get 5 flats in a run again!
yeah, but Mike, the best part about your five flats is this, someone else beat your record, I won't mention Noname, but needless to say, they ran their bike out the rest of the 6 miles!

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
It's been my experience that the trails improve with more riders on them through the day. Last year I was there right after a huge storm rolled through. No mud but lots of erosion and some deadfall. After @ 2 hours of riding(we stopped and moved some deadfall, too) the trails were perfect.
So I'm sure that after a weekend of riding the trails will be prime.

I can't wait to get up there.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Five flats? I use a tire system that requires air. It works really well for me. And I bend my knees and elbows when I ride.
Sorry Mike. Wintergreen could certainly use a liitle more effort, but it is a grand place to ride. We should unite and get a super d down loggers alley. Perhaps mike should take a couple wheel sets on his run. On his camel back... Nothing personal.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Five flats? I use a tire system that requires air. It works really well for me. And I bend my knees and elbows when I ride.
Sorry Mike. Wintergreen could certainly use a liitle more effort, but it is a grand place to ride. We should unite and get a super d down loggers alley. Perhaps mike should take a couple wheel sets on his run. On his camel back... Nothing personal.
Loggers is great for a DH bike, but nothing less. There is a much better suited (and free) Super D location just 10 minutes away. I've thought about organizing one, but haven't yet gotten off my arse to do so. Anyone want to motivate the idea? :lighten:

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
And what location is that? Bald mt all the way to the lake seems like a good one. My arse is up for suggestions.
If I can get several riders who want to shuttle, I will gladly provide the service. I can carry up to seven riders and bikes. We would need to work out the date and time. For the Memorial weekend I am committed to running the Wintergreen lift Saturday and Sunday. Monday would work for me. Beyond that, Sundays would be good since the lift is only running Saturdays until July. I only ask that you guys pay for the gas I use.

I have a trail map to the Sherando Lake/ Big Levels trail system posted on my web site: http://www.leys.com

I have been asking local riders which trails might be best for downhill and it seems almost any route we choose will have some uphill, so I recommend an all mountain bike rather than freeride or downhill. After a few runs we should have a better understanding.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Ill be in the Sherando area June 3rd ready to ride. I have a small p-up 6' bed. I also have a place to enjoy refreshments @ mile* 16 parkway.
Any bike you ride off bald mt is going to be fun. A xc bike will have a hard time in (bolder alley) but perfect for the rest of the trip.
Do you want just help with the shuttle service Nick, or do you plan to ride as well? Having trouble understanding the fuel cost.

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
Ill be in the Sherando area June 3rd ready to ride. I have a small p-up 6' bed. I also have a place to enjoy refreshments @ mile* 16 parkway.
Any bike you ride off bald mt is going to be fun. A xc bike will have a hard time in (bolder alley) but perfect for the rest of the trip.
Do you want just help with the shuttle service Nick, or do you plan to ride as well? Having trouble understanding the fuel cost.
I'm testing the concept of offering a shuttle service in the area. Before I contact the Forest Service for a special use permit which is likely to require insurance and a specific plan, I want to know what works, what trails are best suited for what skill level rider (or type of bike), how long the riders take on certain trails to reach the pick-up point, if hikers are a problem, if the trails need maintenance, etc. If someone gets tired of riding I may ask him/or her to drive the shuttle and let me get a run or two in, although I am offering the use my vehicle for most of the shuttling. I expect each rider to be able to make many shuttled runs in the course of a day so a fair amount of gas is likely to get used.

Since June 3 is a Sunday, it will work for me.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Are you considering GWNF as well? There are trails much more suited for big bikes than the same run down tory ridge & slacks. If you could expand to these areas you would have a better chance with your service. Depending on your price I think you will be successful @ making yourself and others pretty happy.
Just in! A good place to start would be shuttling for the super d @ massanutten June 2nd. Im sure you could make multiple trips. You could also maybe work out a deal with the nut to use there private road and save 30 min. drive time.

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
To get back on target for this thread, I want to explain why I am looking at personally running a shuttle service in the Sherando Lake/Big Levels area.

Since I work full year round for Wintergreen and want to see their mountain bike program succeed and improve, I am looking at other biking activities in the area that could be developed.

The downhill trails at Wintergreen are short and not extensive enough for a whole weekend of riding. Also the 7 mile Loggers Alley fire road can have long delays getting back to the top if the timing for the shuttle is off. If the Sherando/ Big levels trails had an efficient shuttle available, there would be more options to attract riders to the area. If more riders come into the area then Wintergreen will likely sell more lift tickets and can then justify (economically) spending more on their mountain bike program.

There are trails at Big Levels that could be used for big bikes. I have been on the Stony Run/Stony Ridge jeep trail with my dual-purpose motorcycle. It is wide and the last few miles down to the coal road is downhill. Shuttling it might be problematic though. I won't know for sure until I shuttle a group of riders.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
I like your idea and I support it. I would like to see Wintergreens mt bike program grow but does it really require more ticket sales or a better relationship between trail builder and management?
Count me in. I will pay for the first shuttle and possibly many more if all goes well. It would be cool to do some runs during the week too.

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
I like your idea and I support it. I would like to see Wintergreens mt bike program grow but does it really require more ticket sales or a better relationship between trail builder and management?
Count me in. I will pay for the first shuttle and possibly many more if all goes well. It would be cool to do some runs during the week too.
Currently, I don't see a problem with management. The Out of Bounds Adventure Center, which runs the mtn. bike program at Wintergreen, has a new manager who is a biker himself. He is allocating as much time to the program as he can without taking it from the other activities we do, such as paintball, bungee trampoline, rock wall, mini golf, the skate park, etc.

I know there will be improvements this season but they will be made over the course of the year, mainly fixing and improving what we have.

As far as the Sherando shuttle goes, I assume you will be able to meet me Sunday June 3 as we discussed above. I am thinking around 9 or 10 am at the entrance of the Sherando Lake Park. I want to invite others from this discussion group to come. You could ride Wintergreen Saturday, spend the night in the area and explore Big Levels/Sherando Sunday.

If you plan on coming, contact me: nicknich@leys.com Include "Sherando Shuttle" in the title so I can easily see it in all the spam I get.

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
On a related note I rode Sherando this weekend. Started by the the upper lake and climbed a trail who's name I cant remember (it was next to a creek) and then up Slacks Trail. From there we climbed up Torry Ridge and over a few hike-a-bikes to the top and took a wrong turn and bushwacked by a camp site. We turned around and rode down to the parkway and took a rest/ate lunch. We then turned around and rode down the way we came- super long descent and almost all downhill. It was rough on xc hardtail with a 80mm fork but it would have been amazing on anything a bit bigger. I am deffinitley riding it again if I am passing through or just down at Wintergreen for a day.

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
Nasty Nick; I'm sure you won't find a problem finding riders in the sherando area, I dont think that youll need a permit or insurance due to the fact the area already has many riders on the trails anyways....I know some guys come from dc/maryland area just to shuttle the whole day. What you should do is buy a season pass at sherando lake. That way going in and out is a breeze for the season for $30.
On June 3rd what trail or trails are you looking at checking out? If I get my bike outta the shop Id like to join in.

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
so how was opening weekend at WG? ride/trail report?
Since I was tied to the lift, I didn't have a chance to ride but reports were good from the riders that I questioned on the trail conditions. There was a family of inexperienced riders that wished we had something easier. They were having trouble even with the beginner trail.

There wasn't a big turn out, in part I suspect, due to the Snowshoe opening, although loggers alley was popular.

I closed some of the wooden features in Mecca as they need repair, and have talked to a prospective volunteer who is a carpenter. If all works out we could start fixing them up in a couple of weeks.

I had some of the maintenance workers move the large concrete pipes from the vicinity of the road jump at the silt pond. I also moved the stack of metal pipes there and am thinking about putting a soft retaining fence on the lower road to stop any run-away bikers.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Count me in Nick. Im a big fan of bald to white rock but I would also like to check out the jeep trail since there is a shuttle service. If it sucks I will be allot less disappointed. Its seems it would be fun to blast some turns and not be as concerned with hikers.
Im looking forward to doing some shuttle runs on my cross bike :eek: :crazy:

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
If I get my bike back tommorow (I hope) Depending on # riders coming Id be up to atleast meeting up and discussing trails ect ect and doing 3 runs with you guys---I suggest torry to the furthest blue loop (probably in my opinion the best run), a straight white rock gap run, and if we have 4 riders total Id be willing to shuttle up the switchbacks of the jeep trail in my truck and let you guys bomb that-short ride less than 5 minutes to the coal road but should be a nice run since the trail is very rocky from erosion....anyways what time are you guys wanting to do this-I usually do my trail runs early (less to no hikers-no rattlers) I start round 6am-7am....let me know Im hoping the fixing of my bike, and time works out.
Last weekend I almost made trail kill out of six different hikers on white rock gap at around 10am so they are out so I say earlier the better. Let me know.

Nasty Nick

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Covesville, Virginia
...anyways what time are you guys wanting to do this-I usually do my trail runs early (less to no hikers-no rattlers) I start round 6am-7am....let me know Im hoping the fixing of my bike, and time works out.
Last weekend I almost made trail kill out of six different hikers on white rock gap at around 10am so they are out so I say earlier the better. Let me know.
If you confirm you will be there, I will meet you at 7 am Sunday June 3rd for a run or two. Meet just past the first bridge at the Sherando Lake entrance. The early runs will be for the trails closest to the lake. I will try to be back at the entrance again by 10 am to meet those who can't make it early.

See local map for meeting point:

http://www.leys.com/sherandoentrance.jpg

PS: It might make more sense to move or start a new thread on the subject of Shuttling at Sherando. Moderators, what do you think.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
The reason Ill be in Sherando this weekend is for a birthday party the night before so 7 am is kinda early and 10 is a little late. Im guessing after the introducing, dealings, and the ride to bald mt the first group will arrive back down to the lake at about 9 o'clock. Does this sound accurate ?

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
Nick-7 sounds good. How many riders will it be besides us at 7? If its just us till 10 Im sure we can still make 2 runs utilizing 2 vehicles maybe 3 depending on what trails we hit could put us at the entrance of sherando lake around 9ish....