Quantcast

WinXP and slow performance

shyampc

Chimp
May 12, 2007
My PC is very slow after I installed Win XP. It was not like this while I was working with Win98SE. What could be the reason for slow speed and performance? How can I improve these?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Since you upgraded from Win98SE, I'm going to guess that it's a really old computer.

The answer is: buy a new computer. Newer operating systems have higher system requirements, and your outdated PC is simply not enough to handle it. You could tweak it for days to squeeze an extra 10-20% performance increase but it's still not going to make it run fast.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
If you look on ebay you can find some nice pc's for around $2-300, if you were using a computer with win98 then most anything that is out today would be an upgrade.

shyampc

Chimp
May 12, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. My PC is P4 1.7 GHZ with 256 MB of RAM. Will I have to buy a new one? Since after I purchased my PC, it never gave me a trouble. I am using it full time without any rest. So, disposing it means is like what I cannot think about. But if there is no other way, no choice.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. My PC is P4 1.7 GHZ with 256 MB of RAM. Will I have to buy a new one? Since after I purchased my PC, it never gave me a trouble. I am using it full time without any rest. So, disposing it means is like what I cannot think about. But if there is no other way, no choice.
See if you can at least increase the memory. XP is a hog and your machine is probably page filing like crazy.

Mike

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
A little spam maybe? Just wondering from the links in the sig.
sure seems that way, but googling a few phrases tells me it's not a bot or a n8 ctrl-c|ctrl-v type.

* edit: hey! the n8 smiley is gone!! wtf have you done w/ nate?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The N8 smilie is still here, you just need to capitalize the "N"

I figured the bots usually don't talk back :p

To the original poster: I agree with Dartman. Increasing the RAM would help. Frankly, though, I'd probably try to scrape together the bucks for a new one.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
odd, N8 wasn't showing up in preview, but is now. time to reboot intarwebs