Quantcast

Wipperman chains...any good?

Poncho78

Chimp
Nov 28, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I am not a chain destroyer, but I did blow up a Wipperman a few years ago practically JRA. Properly installed and after it failed I dropped a simano xt in and it lasted forever.

The Wipperman I chose was a gold one for what it's worth.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
KMC X9sl. This chain is sweet, its lighter than the competition, shifts great and I haven't seen any failures yet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Last edited:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
thanks for the input guys . . .I'll check out the KMC
Glad to help:thumb:

The ti-ni coated one is the way to go. That hard coating is supposed to contribute to the longevity and shifting. Not to mention, totally bling:weee:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
KMC X9sl. This chain is sweet, its lighter than the competition, shifts great and I haven't seen any failures yet.
I had a JRA episode a few weeks ago with mine. I'm not even sure what happened, but the plates just separated from the pin somehow. Totally just happened riding in the parking lot during a shift.

Saying that though, it's a great chain. I put it back on and it seems fine...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I do that to 991 non hollow pins on a REGULAR basis... Not alot of stamina but a crap load of hammering down...The KMC is the only one I dont fear breaking a knee cap with...
Sounds like a manufacturer issue of a pin not being flanged out right... I know the srams the pins rip out on me on a regular basis so I know thats not a one issue...

Mar 17, 2011
Need a new drivetrain and Im @ lost with so many different chains to choose from...I dont want to buy Sram...maybe Shimano but is this DH worthy ?

Wippermann 920 Teflon
We have the chainwear test results on our website. The test includes chains from these manufacturers: Connex, Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM, KMC, Yaban, and Point.

www.CantitoeRoad.com/connex

The above link also has some shifting (of new and worn chains), and breaking load test results. We try to keep this page updated with testing results, as well as, the methodology and testing facility information.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I think I paid $9 for a SRAM powerlink at Whistler last year when I lost one getting all gnar gnar on Heart of Darkness

Gnar.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
i have been usingWipperman stuff for years with no problems. I just replaced the blue teflon coated one from my Dh bike. It was on there since 2006. It was definatly wore, but lasted hauling my 280# ass around.