Quantcast

Wippermann, XTR or 991 cs?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I run Sram PC-971 on all my bikes

if fitted properly (using a quality chain tool to cut the chain to correct length without deforming the cut plates) you should not have any issues with strength or durability

and the lower cost of the 971 means you can swap out the chain before it stretches and ruins your cassette and chainring, without financial excess!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You frickin weenie.
Chains wear out. Get a $15 SRAM with a powerlink and forget it. How much weight do you think you're going to save on your DH bike chain?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You frickin weenie.
Chains wear out. Get a $15 SRAM with a powerlink and forget it. How much weight do you think you're going to save on your DH bike chain?
what this guy said. I never want to replace super expensive chains, so I run em past where I should and they get loud and clacky. with cheap ass chains, I can run em for 3 months and replace long before they're worn.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
what this guy said. I never want to replace super expensive chains, so I run em past where I should and they get loud and clacky. with cheap ass chains, I can run em for 3 months and replace long before they're worn.
If by cheap you mean 15$ than you don't save money but spend more. a 40$(can be had for 30$) KMC mentioned here lasts 1-2 seasons depending on how much you ride.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If by cheap you mean 15$ than you don't save money but spend more. a 40$(can be had for 30$) KMC mentioned here lasts 1-2 seasons depending on how much you ride.
And I rode a cheapie SRAM 8 speed for half a decade. It is all dependent. My point is chains are a consumable item, and the weight difference from one to the other is negligible on something as heavy as a gravity bike. The boutique chain thing just cracks me up. Your million dollar XX shyt will never outlast my 8 speed clunker.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
And I rode a cheapie SRAM 8 speed for half a decade. It is all dependent. My point is chains are a consumable item, and the weight difference from one to the other is negligible on something as heavy as a gravity bike. The boutique chain thing just cracks me up. Your million dollar XX shyt will never outlast my 8 speed clunker.
Thats why it make sense to buy mid priced chains like the KMC. Also you are wrong. 30-40$ chains are 80-120g lighter which is a lot for only 15$ more. If I passed opportunities like that my bike would be 2-3lbs heavier.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Not to mention cheap chains will not shift as nicely as a brand new KMC x9 or x10sl chain. Which could end up as result between 1st or 2nd place podium...