Quantcast

Wire vs. Kevlar...again

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I want some cheap mud spikes...arrow racing immediately comes to mind (sub $30). I can get kevlar (@950g) for $25, and wire bead for $29. Both tires are DH rated and come in at the same width. Should I go for one or the other?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dammit. What is it about kevlar vs. wire bead that makes the retards and trolls come out. Every thread I found on this subject degraded into name calling and off-topic poo flinging.

I'd just like to know what I'm giving up by going to a kevlar beaded tire...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
dammit. What is it about kevlar vs. wire bead that makes the retards and trolls come out. Every thread I found on this subject degraded into name calling and off-topic poo flinging.

At nearly 500grams weight difference I'd be suspicious that the kevlar version comes with a slightly lighter casing as well. You may want to keep in mind that the Arrow tire is a 77 durometer rubber compound and would probably only be useful in the nastiest of conditions.

Duro, whom manufactures the Arrow tires and blatantly ripped off their molds for their own line of tires essentially makes the same tire in a 60 durometer compound which when cut down may be a bit more practical in non-Noah's Arc conditions.

Linky link

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

You're giving up finishing your run with air in your tube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At nearly 500grams weight difference I'd be suspicious that the kevlar version comes with a slightly lighter casing as well. You may want to keep in mind that the Arrow tire is a 77 durometer rubber compound and would probably only be useful in the nastiest of conditions.

Duro, whom manufactures the Arrow tires and blatantly ripped off their molds for their own line of tires essentially makes the same tire in a 60 durometer compound which when cut down may be a bit more practical in non-Noah's Arc conditions.

Linky link
cut down muckmeisters are actually pretty great all around tires. ask voodoohoo, he swears by them.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer

You sir are giving up a wire bead, some grams, and some $.

You are gaining the ability to fold your tire up and stuff it in your back pocket like Spicoli.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
to actually answer your question, do you want a 1.5 ply mud spike (kevlar 950g) or a full on 2 ply dh casing w/ rubber reinforcement (wire bead - 1250g)

the bead itself is really only about 50-75g in difference between kevlar and steel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
to actually answer your question, do you want a 1.5 ply mud spike (kevlar 950g) or a full on 2 ply dh casing w/ rubber reinforcement (wire bead - 1250g)

the bead itself is really only about 50-75g in difference between kevlar and steel.
Thanks dude...that's what I thought but arrow does some weird stuff and Kevlar is cheaper...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Too be honest those arrow tires look too tight of a tread and will pack up more than most other mud tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Too be honest those arrow tires look too tight of a tread and will pack up more than most other mud tires.
marsha LOLson-
not worried about the perfect mud tire...i'm thinking about the best CHEAP mud tire. If I want to spend 80 bucks on a mud tire, there are some great ones readily available...I don't want to spend more than $30 at the moment.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't find the black turdholes anywhere....BUT....

There are some cheapy intense not-quite-mud-spike tires for cheap, as well as some geax mud tires. The geax tires got good reviews on pinkbike and have a soft compound, and they're extremely cheap. I think I'll pick up a pair for the mud days, and keep the butchers around for everything else.