Quantcast

Wired Funds QUestion??

BiG WaVe

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
AZ
I have a potential buyer in the U.K. who wants to wire me funds to pay for a bike. If the funds are wired is there any way I can get hosed? Is my account information at any risk if I give him routing info? Somebody please reply A.S.A.P.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Do not wire monet ever!!! :nope: Especially to the UK. This is a classic scam. The guy will probly tell you to use a secret name to secure your funds. But this doesn't insure that you money is safe. try to use an escrow service. If the person has any problem with using an escrow service then you know it's a scam.
UK seller and wiring money=you loose money and no bike

BiG WaVe

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
AZ
I was told by another person that Western Union is not secure. Do a search on ebay and you'll see what I mean. I am the one who will be receiving the funds and shipping a bike to the UK, he's covering the bike + shipping. I was going to receive the funds, get cash, and close this account ASAP. The guys seems legit on the phone.

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
If you can do bank to bank wiring sometimes this is fine. I sold some stuff to a kid in the UK, and I gave him a routing number. that number is a one way route to a deposit system. he gives that number to the bank, and puts money in it. its nothing that can be played with tho.

meanwhile my bro andy lost $3500 via western union for a dirtbike in the UK...

iljicS

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Budapest, HU
A bud of mine lost $2400...he tried to get Intense M1 from Uk. Money is gone, bike never showed up, classic story. :(

It's a really problem because I could pay only via Western Union from my country if i'm buying something and many guys won't accept this method, altough I'm a good guy and pay BEFORE the seller send me the stuff.

VARider

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Virginia
Don't even think about making a transaction over Western Union with anyone in the UK. I got ripped off last week for $500 on a bike that I was trying to buy. There is no protection for you because the UK police say it's not in their jurisdiction and the US police claim they can't do anything either. Bottom line is do business with US customers only that way if your get ripped of you can at least drive to that person and break some thumbs if you need to.
These guys had the nerve to use other fake eBay e-mails to try and get me again by asking for user names and passwords to my accounts. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
Some people answering this thread are not understanding the question. Big Wave wants to know if it is safe to accept money by money wire or Western Union. To my knowledge, the answer is yes. I have accepted money from overseas for sales by both Western Union and money wire, and as best I can tell, both methods are failsafe for the seller.

With Western Union, you pick up the Western Union check from your local Western Union. You will need your ID, and the WU transfer # from the buyer, as well as his name/address. Usually the Western Union dealer will cash the check for you and you will have green in your hand. Then you ship the product.

With a money wire, you give the buyer your checking account # and the routing # on your check (usually the digits in front of your account # on the bottom of your check).
The buyer's bank wires the money to your account. You check with your bank to make sure the money has been deposited, don't take the buyer's word for it. Then you ship the product.

I don't know of any way the seller can get hurt by these methods. They leave the buyer at risk, because it is up to the seller to follow through on the product transfer after receiving the buyer's funds.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
www.escrow.com
you can do a safe wire transfer anywhere. takes the risk out of the buyer. and our of the deal. its very cheap too 25 bucks.

the seller never has to give his bank account number, since the wire transfer is made to escrow.com, and then escrow.com mail a check to the seller, after the carrier (fedex, dhl) declares the buyer has received and aproved the bike or whatever.

the safest for both parties.