Quantcast

Wireless N

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DIR655 is a proven option at a decent price but most of these consumer routers with USB mass storage support have poor performance compared to a NAS and they usually require a client on each computer accessing the HDD. Get a cheap NAS enclosure separately for the performance and ease of use.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm generally not a big D-Link fan, but my DIR-655 has been the most trouble-free router I've ever owned, the web interface is excellent and comprehensive, and it does allow USB hard drive sharing.

That sharing requires an application on all of the host computers since it's not a real NAS. Generally speaking, I see little advantage of a single-drive NAS device over a simple shared folder on an always-on desktop, unless you don't own a desktop.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not having to leave a computer on all the time is a significant advantage considering the single drive NAS usually barely use more power than the HDD itself versus a PC at several times more watts (unless you have WOL, can figure out how to send a magic packet on your own [which may not work over wifi depending on the configuration], and don't mind waiting for the machine to power back up every time). Folder sharing will probably have better performance than cheap NAS but other than that its wasteful.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i dont mind having a program on each computer to access the HDD. my desktop is usually on 24hrs a day as it is but does it need to be on to access the external drive via the router?
getting a NAS enclosure is a option, but id still like to get a router that does wireless N anyway...Linksys has a model with USB too, but their products have been hit or miss with the ones ive had. DLink is the option im looking at.

i looked at new external drives with ethernet connection, but the transfers seem slow

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
my desktop is usually on 24hrs a day as it is
This is what I mean, not that you should have a dedicated computer to run a network share. A lot of people have their desktop on 24/7, so instead of having slow network transfers and an extra piece of hardware, why not just create a network share for the other machines to access?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
through a home network im assuming?

it still leaves me with wanting to buy a faster router
If you have a laptop & desktop sharing an internet connection, you already have the home network.

And sure, buy a faster router. I just mean that if you already have a desktop on 24/7, you don't need to include the ability to plug in a USB drive in your criteria.