Quantcast

wireless network, can they identify you?

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
If I join an encrypted wireless network because I have the password, can the main server, or whatever its called, identify my computer. And if so, what sort of identifying information will they see? Thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, they can see you, and they can see whatever the router or server is set up to log. Potentially every packet that goes in and out of your computer.

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
Thanks. One more thing, if i'm using a laptop, how do they know its me thats connected as opposed to someone else with a laptop? Is there any identifying information sent, like my name that I used to set up the laptop, or is it just numbers or something. Thanks again.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
probly your hardware address, which can identify your computer specifically

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
On my Router/WAP I can see the IP, MAC and Computer Name. The IP does little good, simply because my router provides it. The MAC is unique to your hardware, and the Host Name can be whatever you want. I can also log every site visited by whichever computer.

My SSID isn't broadcasted so I don't get any intruders, but if I did the first ting I would do would be to check your PC for open shares. If you have the Windows Firewall turned on, no open shares on your PC and a host name that is either very generic or complete gibberish you should be safe from most people.

Although if the network is encrypted they probably feel safe enough that they don't pay much attention and most likely won't even notice you are there.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Dirty said:
probly your hardware address, which can identify your computer specifically
This is true - but it identifies the MAC address of your wireless NIC, not anything in particular about the laptop (unless the wireless is built-in of course). I suppose when you are done with whatever illegal activity you are contemplating, just throw your NIC in the trash like a murder weapon.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SLAPSHOT said:
Thanks. One more thing, if i'm using a laptop, how do they know its me thats connected as opposed to someone else with a laptop? Is there any identifying information sent, like my name that I used to set up the laptop, or is it just numbers or something. Thanks again.
In practice, I'm not entirely sure how much information can just be requested from your computer regarding non-"secret" information like your registration name (secret information such as your Windows serial number and such is kept hidden). I never register my computer under my real name.

Things such as your network card's MAC address are used to identify your computer on the network and are unique to your computer (they can be spoofed, but I'm not going to get into that ;)).

The fact is, since every packet in and out of your computer can be monitored, it's not a good idea use someone's internet connection to do anything you don't want them to see, unless you have a secure tunnel set up or something like that.