Quantcast

Wireless network help

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Since you guys are the smartest people I don't know, I was hoping you could help. On my home wireless network when ever I shut down my xbox after being on Xbox live my wife gets kicked off of the network on her laptop. Also if I get on the Xbox and then she starts her laptop up it knocks me offline. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Since you guys are the smartest people I don't know, I was hoping you could help. On my home wireless network when ever I shut down my xbox after being on Xbox live my wife gets kicked off of the network on her laptop. Also if I get on the Xbox and then she starts her laptop up it knocks me offline. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help
What kind of router are you using to start with?

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
seems they take over each others ip addresses. hit win key+r, type cmd, enter, type ipconfig /all, enter to find out which ip v4 address your pc is using when connected (it should be 192.168.1.2), you are looking for what's written under the wireless adapter. you will also need to know your subnet mask (255.255.255.0 by default) and the default gateway (192.168.1.1 by default).

if 192.168.1.2, go to network adapter properties and change it to say, 192.168.1.10 (or anything else between 3 and 254), this way the xbox should have the .2 address available for it to use. if the ip addressing was on auto, set to manual and type away - the ip add, subnet mask and default gateway, for the dns server address type in the default gateway address., click ok on everything and see if it works. if not, revert the ip address to auto. if you have addresses different than 192.168.1.2, tell me what they are here.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
How many devices do you have connected to the router and how many is it designed to handle? Two phones, two laptops, a DVR and the Xbox work fine for me. Adding a seventh device causes problems.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
seems they take over each others ip addresses. hit win key+r, type cmd, enter, type ipconfig /all, enter to find out which ip v4 address your pc is using when connected (it should be 192.168.1.2), you are looking for what's written under the wireless adapter. you will also need to know your subnet mask (255.255.255.0 by default) and the default gateway (192.168.1.1 by default).

if 192.168.1.2, go to network adapter properties and change it to say, 192.168.1.10 (or anything else between 3 and 254), this way the xbox should have the .2 address available for it to use. if the ip addressing was on auto, set to manual and type away - the ip add, subnet mask and default gateway, for the dns server address type in the default gateway address., click ok on everything and see if it works. if not, revert the ip address to auto. if you have addresses different than 192.168.1.2, tell me what they are here.
Thanks for the info.

baca262's premise that your wife's laptop and the xbox are trying to use the same IP address sounds reasonable based on the information provided so far.

The answer to Silver's question would help, exactly what router are you using?
We had a Linksys router up until a few weeks ago. We just got new router from Verizon a week or so ago. Had the problems with both of them.