Quantcast

wireless network issues - SORTED

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
goddamn, for months i was trying to get my two downstairs laptops networked w/ my upstairs PC. tried everything my friends and i could think of, but what finally did the trick was to disable the firewall which came w/ the ASUS mobo and just use the windows firewall. the windows firewall isn't nearly as sophisticated or configurable, but at least it doesn't F up my network connections.

:dancing:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:thumb:

Glad you got it sorted! Didn't know ASUS had their own firewall utility. Something to stick away in the back of my brain next time I'm troubleshooting some poor schmuck with network problems ;)

BTW, over the course of the past few months, I've had two friends tell me that they've received Asus motherboards that were DOA. Sounds like Asus needs to beef up their quality control.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If its a newer motherboard, it might be the nvidia firewall part of one of their newer chipsets - its a pretty damn good firewall for a consumer grade one...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
syadasti said:
If its a newer motherboard, it might be the nvidia firewall part of one of their newer chipsets - its a pretty damn good firewall for a consumer grade one...

yeah, that's the one. but i couldn't get it to recognize the other two machines...there also seemed to be very sluggish/strange responses using Firefox as a browser. anyone every get the pop-up message that says "this page contains no data", even though the page does and isn't blank?

i'm certainly not a firewall expert, so maybe there is a way to configure it and still maintain my network connections, but i'm not gonna use it. btw, i could ping all the machines from each other, but just not make a network connection under the windows explorer.

but now, all 450GB of music can flow freely down to my stereo. :dancing:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah I haven't used one myself, but have heard great things about it. nVidia updates their drivers a lot and also Asus on the Bios - might try those options if you still want to get it working and you know your rules were right.

You have to double check you have the right rules configured - a secure firewall only lets traffic flow as specified and keeps everything else out by default.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
but now, all 450GB of music can flow freely down to my stereo. :dancing:
One of these days I am going to show up at your door with Guinness and 500 gigs worth of blank hard drives.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ciaran said:
One of these days I am going to show up at your door with Guinness and 500 gigs worth of blank hard drives.
bring enough guinness, and an extra drive; i'll be over 500GB soon enough (i wish i could hire some cheap labor to digitize some of my beloved lps and singles which never made it to cd).