Quantcast

wireless network question? possibly dumb

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
My home PC is linked to the internet via the modem that came from my cable company which is my ISP. I just purchased a MacBook Pro, and want to connect it wirelessly. Is there some way to keep my PC linked via the wire (it does not have wireless hardware installed) and still have a wireless network for my laptop? Thanks in advance!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep. You need a wireless router.

There are lots of options in this department. I'm partial to Linksys products myself, and I'm sure syadasti will chime in with his favorite wireless router - I can't remember the model name off the top of my head.

Your MacBook comes with a built-in wireless card if I remember correctly, so the router should be all you need.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
yes just go get a linksys router, the wireless G router is on sale for 49.99 right now at Office Depot (tech guy for them) and just hardware your existing desktop into it with the supplied ethernet and set up a network with password and you are good to go.

Make sure to you use a WPA-Personal Password for it, because PC and Mac read the Network MAC addresses differently unless you use this form of encryption. hope that helps and i didnt lose you.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got my Netgear at Fry's for $20 (or was it $18?). I use Netgear when I can, but I have had some luck with Linsys as well (but have had some issues in the past).