Quantcast

Wireless Network Security ?'s

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I've got a couple questions on wireless network security.

1. How do I turn off the SSID broadcast? If I do manage to turn it off, will my PC's be able to connect to the network?

2. I changed the SSID from the default name and I set the WEP to 128 bit encryption. Is there anything else I should do (short of SSHTunneling)?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
N8 said:

1. How do I turn off the SSID broadcast? If I do manage to turn it off, will my PC's be able to connect to the network?

2. I changed the SSID from the default name and I set the WEP to 128 bit encryption. Is there anything else I should do (short of SSHTunneling)?
Just went thru this...
I think SSID is necessary, altho I haven't tried to manually config a wireless network. On the Qwest/Actiontec AP there was WEP (up to 256), and MAC authentication. So, it doesn't matter who tries to hack it, it'll be pretty tight (trying to hack a MAC and WEP at 128). If you're shopping for an AP, I'd make sure it has MAC authentication. It can be spoofed, but then they'd have WEP to deal w/.
Buuuut, SSH would be pretty tight!

Edit: when in doubt, rotate your WEB key once a month. At 128-bit, a monthly rotation should cover your ass pretty well.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Cool! Thanks!

I have figured out how to turn off the SSID using the maunual router interface program.

Then I set my self up 128-bit WEP password and enabled MAC authentication.

I figure it will deture the casual hacker and I don't really have anything that would be interesting to a determined one.

My system is working fine with SSID off (I have a Linksys).

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
you dont need to broadcast your SSID, but it should be changed from the default regardless. Preventing broadcasting is a security measure not really a performance gain measure on small LANS

you need to enable WEP or WPA (whichever your wireless router supports, some older ones dont support WPA) which is more secure than WEP.

Enabled DHCP but limit the IP scope only to what you are going to use and lock a specific IP to a specific IP address.

Even if your has a stateful packet inspection firewall capability, it doesnt replace the need for a good software based firewall as well sitting on top of it.

Download Net Stumbler to scan your neighborhood for other signals so you avoid channel interference, and just to see how some people do not enable any of the security. Download Boingo to quick connection to hot spots, such as coffee shops, etc.

N8 said:
Cool! Thanks!

I have figured out how to turn off the SSID using the maunual router interface program.

Then I set my self up 128-bit WEP password and enabled MAC authentication.

I figure it will deture the casual hacker and I don't really have anything that would be interesting to a determined one.

My system is working fine with SSID off (I have a Linksys).

N8 said:

1) You log onto the console of your access point as an administrator and root around (or read the manual) until you find the setting. Your PCs will still be able to connect as long as you know the SSID - you'll have to enter it manually for each PC.

2) Make sure that you create a secure password for the administrators account. Disallow remote management.