Quantcast

Wireless router for $10....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Anybody had any good/bad/ugly experiences with the Trendnet TEW-432BRP wireless router? I've recently been issued a laptop at work and am going to go the wireless route at home.

I guess for $10 you can hardly go wrong, eh? :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Trednet actually makes a couple very decent higher end routers. No idea about their cheap stuff, but as you said, for $10 just give it a shot.

If it's anything like their nice MIMO routers, it could be a great bargain.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So far so good. I'm hooked up at 54Mbps on my couch. The setup of the router was a bit fraught with peril, but that's mostly because I wasn't really sure what I was doing. In the end it's pretty easy.

But be warned: if you update the firmware, all of the configuration settings go back to factory defaults. :rant:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Trednet actually makes a couple very decent higher end routers. No idea about their cheap stuff, but as you said, for $10 just give it a shot.

If it's anything like their nice MIMO routers, it could be a great bargain.
Yeah the Trendnet MIMO router is awesome with decent logging and traffic shaping. I've used one for about 1.5 years and have setup about a half dozen of them for other people.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/TEW-611BRP.htm

Their customer support is great. I requested a firmware update so OSX clients would talk to the router in WPA2-PSK (before only WPA-PSK w/AES would work which is almost the same thing but...still) and they actually updated the firmware, I beta tested, it and they eventually released it a few months later (1.0.6).