Quantcast

Wireless router issue

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
So I have a Belkin Wireless G Router. I had it connected to my HP tower (running Windows Vista) and to my Qwest Actiontec DSL modem. Everything worked fine, I had wireless in my house.

Well I tried to hook it up again recently and I can't get the router to connect to the internet. The modem shows the internet is working, the required lights on the router are green, but the internet light just blinks and won't connect. The computer says limited/no connectivity.

I have an ethernet cable connected from the modem to the router. Then the router has an ethernet cable connected to the computer. The connections are correct. I tried using the CD that came with the router, but now, halfway through, it asks me to reboot and says that the program will run after rebooting - it doesn't. Just stops there.

I'm at a total loss. I've seen where it has been suggested to update the firmware on the router, but how can you do that if you can't connect the router to the internet to access the Browser page? Doesn't make sense to me...
Well, hopefully someone here can suggest something. Thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Have you gone as far as to log into the router via the router's webpage? The documentation should have information as to how to do that. If not, you can plug the model of your router and the words "default IP" into Google.

If you have gotten to the webpage and logged into it, you should be able to find a status page somewhere. With the DSL modem plugged into the WAN/Internet port on the router, check to see if the router is getting an IP address.

The other thing to check, is with your computer plugged directly into the DSL modem, go Start/Run, type "cmd" and hit enter, then type "ipconfig" and hit enter. You should see your computer's IP address. Compare that with the default IP address of the router that you looked up in the previous step - if they are similar (e.g. if your computer is 192.168.1.50 and your router is 192.168.1.1), then you'll have to change the IP address of your router... which I can help you with if that's the case.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a quick diversion:

first off, belkin isn't officially supported by qwest; but that's not to say you can't get it functioning again. i also have qwest, & my actiontec gt701-wg crapped out - and it was being phased out in my area - so i had to upgrade to actiontec PK5000 (~$70 on ebay/cl). i called up & asked if they would cut me a deal on a new router, and they were cool & shipped me mine @ half off - $50. ridiculously easy to set up, & plays nice w/ xp, vista, 7, mac, *nix. also, you can dole out up to 128 wireless connections. your setup is unusual to me (router and modem, versus all-in-one), and if i were you i'd consider rolling that up if you can't get this easily resolved, or it this happens with any kind of regularity.

back on topic:
everything above seems to get you well on your way.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
a quick diversion:

first off, belkin isn't officially supported by qwest; but that's not to say you can't get it functioning again. i also have qwest, & my actiontec gt701-wg crapped out - and it was being phased out in my area - so i had to upgrade to actiontec PK5000 (~$70 on ebay/cl). i called up & asked if they would cut me a deal on a new router, and they were cool & shipped me mine @ half off - $50. ridiculously easy to set up, & plays nice w/ xp, vista, 7, mac, *nix. also, you can dole out up to 128 wireless connections. your setup is unusual to me (router and modem, versus all-in-one), and if i were you i'd consider rolling that up if you can't get this easily resolved, or it this happens with any kind of regularity.

back on topic:
everything above seems to get you well on your way.
Thanks guys for the help.
After some exhaustive Google searching and trying everything you guys listed above - no dice.

The biggest problem I have is that I can't access the router's webpage, because I can't get the internet to connect through it. Period. No matter what I have tried, it will not work. So I can't do any of the web-based fixes.

I'm thinking I should just upgrade to a new modem/router through Qwest - I've been with them awhile anyways, so maybe they can cut me a deal like they did with you. I'm not a big fan of them, but I don't have any other options in my area.

Thanks again!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kavu, you don't need an internet connection to access the router's webpage. The webpage for the router's configuration is hosted locally on the router, so all you need to do is be able to connect to the router.

When you plug your DSL modem into your computer directly, go to a command prompt like I listed, and type "ipconfig" - what's the IP address of your computer? I bet that's the problem.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Kavu, you don't need an internet connection to access the router's webpage. The webpage for the router's configuration is hosted locally on the router, so all you need to do is be able to connect to the router.
That's the thing, I can't pull up the configuration page AT ALL. Just says that it can't connect.
I'm running IE8 and Firefox...could that have something to do with it?

What really burns me is that this used to work on this computer...so I know it works, its just frustrating because I know I must be missing something.

And the reason I'm running a router AND a DSL modem instead of an all in one is because when I first bought my modem, I didn't have a need for a wireless setup, a friend bought me the router so I could set it up for my laptop and phone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well that sucks :p

Most Belkin routers us a 192.168.2.x IP address; so we don't have a conflict. I was hoping it was that simple.

That said, when I was contracting, I had a couple Belkin routers that simply never recognized the WAN link. Not sure if they were bad but I never got them to work, despite multiple configuration changes and the best efforts of a few guys at the shop, too.

If you plug your computer into the router, and do that ipconfig thing, do you get an IP address? Does it look normal or does it start with 169.x.x.x?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Well that sucks :p

Most Belkin routers us a 192.168.2.x IP address; so we don't have a conflict. I was hoping it was that simple.

That said, when I was contracting, I had a couple Belkin routers that simply never recognized the WAN link. Not sure if they were bad but I never got them to work, despite multiple configuration changes and the best efforts of a few guys at the shop, too.
I think it might just be either outdated or it could be fried. Its pretty old, so I wouldn't be surprised either way.

If you plug your computer into the router, and do that ipconfig thing, do you get an IP address? Does it look normal or does it start with 169.x.x.x?
Nope, looks normal, same IP I listed above.