Quantcast

Wireless router question

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Got a question that Google doesn't seem to be helpful with.

The place I'm moving to in two weeks has wireless broadband for the community. My laptop already has a wireless card, but my desktop does not. Will my Linksys router uplink to a wireless network? I've never had the opportunity to try it. Right now, I have the uplink port plugged into my DSL modem, and I can't find anything that states that you can uplink wirelessly.

My next question would be, if the answer to the first one is "no", does anyone make a wireless network adapter that runs on an ethernet cable vs. running out of a USB port? I can't locate one on NewEgg. The goal, of course, would be to plug that into the uplink port of the router. I realize it would need a seperate power supply since USB provides power but ethernet does not.

edit: I realize I'm going about this the hard way, when I could buy a wireless PCI card for the desktop, but I have my reasons :D

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
If your wireless router and their wireless router both support bridging then yes that will work. I lived in one of those apartment complexes with "free wireless", I had my cable modem reinstalled within the week.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
Another attempt at world domination?
Well, you know how it is. Things always move slower than planned.

In this day and age, though, I'd say a good internet connection is mandatory when attempting to conquer the world.
gigapower said:
If your wireless router and their wireless router both support bridging then yes that will work. I lived in one of those apartment complexes with "free wireless", I had my cable modem reinstalled within the week.
Thanks for your answer. That's one of several reasons that I don't want to buy a wireless card for my desktop - the connection may suck. It's not free, by the way, it's $20/month.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
binary visions said:
Well, you know how it is. Things always move slower than planned.

In this day and age, though, I'd say a good internet connection is mandatory when attempting to conquer the world.
Yeah the internet and a crap load of ball bearings will get you a long way towards your goal. Its all ball bearings these days.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Isn't an access point what you're looking for? I'm not sure if that's the right name, they're pretty expensive compared to a wireless router but they can be used to connect something like an Xbox or PS2 via cat5 cable to a wireless network. I believe they have a couple of ports with an integrated router. Check some of the nerdy linksys forums though, you may be able to flash your router to another bios that would turn it into an access point, I know some linksys routers have that capability.