Quantcast

Wireless routers

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I bought a Linksys WRT110 about a year ago.

It's a total pos. Very unreliable.

So my question.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a router?

Are there any wireless routers that allow you to configure them with hyper terminal?

What brand / what model?

I don't need N as most N routers are a scam.

Just a decent BG.

Thanks,

RR

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
I had an older Dlink that worked great for about 6-7 years. It finally crapped out then I bought a new Dlink and put up with it being **** for 2 months. The store i bought it from returned it no problem even though they have a 14 day return policy on computer items.

Then I purchased an Apple Airport Express. Setup was beyond easy and works great!

I do hear good things about some linksys routers which allow you to install custom firmware. Not sure which models though.

I'd say Airport express as inexpensive, something like a higher end Cisco router if you want to blow some cash.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Both Belkin and D-link are extremely hit-or-miss. Depends on the model, the day, what you were wearing when you bought it...

I'm honestly quite surprised you're having trouble with the Linksys. Most Linksys routers have been, in my experience, the most reliable routers available.

Some questions:

Why do you believe N to be a scam?

What possible gains do you have configuring a router with Hyper Terminal (by this, I assume you mean with a console cable)?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Both Belkin and D-link are extremely hit-or-miss. Depends on the model, the day, what you were wearing when you bought it...

I'm honestly quite surprised you're having trouble with the Linksys. Most Linksys routers have been, in my experience, the most reliable routers available.

Some questions:

i have okay luck with Belkin and Dlink, but Linksys products have never failed me yet (knock on wood)

its Red Rabbit, he thinks everything is a scam. Wireless N is the governments way of spying on you. i mean who would want something faster than 54mbps

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado

Some questions:

What possible gains do you have configuring a router with Hyper Terminal (by this, I assume you mean with a console cable)?
For a N router to actually give you the advertised bit rate, they need four antennas. The ones that I have seen only have two or three.

wow, I just checked my facts and found out the throughput rates are exactly the same. Now I feel like an a$shole.

I'm pretty good with Cisco, I work on 5500 everyday. It's easier just to drill down a menu then mess with this gui on this router.

I feel like they really tried to dumb down the setup, but in the made made it harder for me.

The reviews for my unit online are very good. WRT 110

About once a month it drops wifi, and I need to reset it for it to start broadcasting again. I don't understand why, every time i reset it I lose all my configurations.

Maybe I just have a bad unit?

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There isn't a worthwhile router that is configured using a console cable that's reasonably priced. Even the business class Linksys stuff is web driven.

When you say reset, you aren't using the reset button on the router are you? If you're just unplugging it, losing your configuration isn't supposed to happen. Sounds like you have a bad router.

I have a D-Link DIR-655 which is about the only D-link I've ever used that's been a really quality piece of hardware. It's been great - N wireless speeds, I virtually never have to reset it (I can't remember the last time I did), gigabit switch, and the configuration is actually very thorough.

If you're really stuck on command line configuration (which, trust me, is all in your head: there are great reasons to use a command line. Configuring an IP address and port forwarding on a consumer router isn't one of them), you can consider using something like OpenWRT which has a linux kernel that'll allow some configuration via telnet. How much, I'm not sure, but when I was running it, many of the GUI configuration options could be set in the command line.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I am going to take a look into the dlink you specified. Yeah, it losing settings whenever it losing power. I was surprised, I've never had a router do that before.

Thanks for the info

RR

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have not tried it, sorry. My understanding is that it requires you to install a piece of software on every computer you want to share to. I've talked to several people who said it worked well.

My printer has an ethernet port so it was not something I had to experiment with.