Quantcast

Wiring problem with my Jeep... anyone have ideas?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I am having some problems with the electrical in my 91 Jeep Cherokee. Before I left bellingham earlier in the week I found my car was dead. Battery had been drained, later that day I tracked it down to the dome lights so I pulled that fuse to keep the battery from draining. Which is working for now but that leaves me without power door locks, my stereo, my clock and the dome lights.

I have the chiltons manual for the thing but have gone through the electrical schemes and can't seem to figure out what would cuase it. The fuse is fine, my guess is a switch somewhere but I can't seem to track it down.

Anyone have experience with this?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
its not just the dome light, its the dome, the center console overhead lights, the light below the dash near the hood release.... there was a short a month or so ago that caused my radio to turn off and on a few times. I turned it off waited a second and turned it back on and it worked fine after that, now this.

I have a crappy feeling about this, and I haven't found a good non-dealership shop around here that I trust. Dealership BLOWS but they seem to fix stuff for the most part... unlike other shops I've taken it to.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
mplutodh1 said:
its not just the dome light, its the dome, the center console overhead lights, the light below the dash near the hood release.... there was a short a month or so ago that caused my radio to turn off and on a few times. I turned it off waited a second and turned it back on and it worked fine after that, now this.
if it's all those things, then you can eliminate any wiring that isn't in common with them.

How are you searching for the short? Perhaps you should pull all associated wires and install new ones?

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
so are all of these lights that would turn on when your door is open, or when you turn on the interior light manually? If so, it could be a problem with a door switch or your manual switch??

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Yup freek, they are lights that would turn on when the door is open or if you manully turned the switch on the dash to turn them on.

I will check the door switches and that switch in addition to the delay that turns the lights off after 30 seconds. Just have to study this darn chilton's manual to figure out how to go about doing everything and where it's all located.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Fixed it, stupid dome light wiring was shorting out... needless to say my dad forgot to tell me that this happened when the car was my bro's in high school.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Get yourself a wiring schematic for the circuit that the dome light is on.

Next, see what all is on that circuit, and locate where the grounds are.

Third, make sure all the connections are good and clean, and that a wire hasn't "chafed" the plastic coating off, and rubbing on metal somewhere causing a direct short.

Fourth, check all the other objects that are on that same circuit, and if you have a multimeter do an OHM test on that circuit (connect it in series of course).

If you come back with an out-of-spec Impedence reading (too little) there's a direct short somewhere. If it's within specs, your wiring itself is ok, and a device on that circuit is to blame.

I hope that helps a little.

-Matt