Quantcast

wirless problems

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
So we have a linksys wireless router in my house off the dsl box. A few times we have had this problem but i thought it was because i was using a stinkin windows... I would go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning turn on my monitor and the internet doesn't work. I restart the dsl box, wireless box, and then the computer a few times over. Still doesnt work on my mac or my dads windows laptop, but works fine on my moms why is this happening? and what is the easy fix.

internet works on mom and brothers windows laptop and pc, i get a wireless signal on my macbook pro but no internet connection and my dad gets nothing on his windows laptop. we dont have a network or anything no passwords free internet if your in my driveway kinda deal... whats the point making one when your the only house within 400 yards of the next house or a road?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
My linksys router would lose it's IP address from the internet provider. Restarting the router fixes this because it requests a new IP address when it starts up. I upgraded the firmware to it and seemed to fix the problem.

When mine "broke" I could connect to it in the setup mode and see the IP address was zeros. I could then do the equivalent of an IPconfig /release and /renew. It would pick up a new addy and everything would start working.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is very confusing and you've left a lot out. Let's me reiterate:

During long periods of inactivity, your internet connection goes out. Restarting the systems that lose connection has no effect on this problem. Restarting the modem and the router also has no effect on this problem. Yet for some reason two of the systems (your mom and your brother) aren't affected.

Is that right?

First off, do you have any wired systems or are they all wireless? If they're all wireless, can you access the internet if you plug into your router with an ethernet cable? If no, can you access the internet if you plug directly into your DSL modem?

Also, you are saying this like it's permanent. Are you STILL unable to access the internet? If not, what eventually brought it back?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Funny this topic came up. My router had to be reset from scratch last night because the WiFi was not WiFi'ing...A hard connection worked, but the wireless portion ceased to work. I reset the cable modem and router. Left both off for about 10 minutes, came back, connected, and still the WiFi portion of the Internet was poo poo'd.

After a reset I had to go back and recreate all of my securities, ranges etc..I've abandoned my port forwarding however because I don't play that many games anymore...

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
all of us are wireless, if unplug the wire that connects from the dsl box to the linksys box and plug it into my comp it asks for a password that noone in my house remembers. the times in the past we had the problem it just fixed itself but thats like having the check engine light come on on monday and tuesday its off.... you should still want to know why it happened. im still with out interent on my mac, and my dad is at work so no idea about him.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
fixed, i turned off my mac then unpluged the wireless router then the dsl box.... then plugged in the dsl box, then the wireless router then turned on my mac.... internet is so werid

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Resetting the DSL/Cable modem first is key. The reason is because once you do that, resetting the router will allow it to acquire a valid IP, or actually, renew. Sometimes I've noticed the modems can hick up, or someone does something at the main Comcast office to cause the IP to get screwy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The problem is that you're jumping on a hundred solutions at once so you're NEVER going to isolate the problem.

If my engine has a problem and I have them replace sixteen components on it at once, it doesn't tell me what the problem was.

So.

When it happens again, the first thing to try is rebooting your DSL modem. Reboot it and give it 2-3 minutes. Then try connecting.

If you can't connect, reboot your wireless router. Wait 2-3 minutes. Then try connecting.

If you STILL can't connect, then come back and I'll walk you through troubleshooting your router.

Also, you never answered my question if plugging in a network cable from the router to a computer let you connect to the internet.