Quantcast

Wish me luck!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i'm leaving in just a few minutes for hotlanta. my brother is an opthamologist there and is going to do Lasik surgery on my eyes.....for free!!!!

...the only catch is that he will be using a new type of laser...and i'll be his first patient with said new laser. i guess i trust him though

i'll give a full report when i return on friday, hopefully, i'll still be able to see the keyboard :monkey:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you end up with smoking holes where your eyes used to be, make the best use of the space. Store small items in there, or perhaps plant some small flowers.

MD

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
MikeD said:
If you end up with smoking holes where your eyes used to be, make the best use of the space. Store small items in there, or perhaps plant some small flowers.

MD
well whatever happens this thread sucks without pics

oh good luck btw

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
manimal said:
i'm leaving in just a few minutes for hotlanta. my brother is an opthamologist there and is going to do Lasik surgery on my eyes.....for free!!!!

...the only catch is that he will be using a new type of laser...and i'll be his first patient with said new laser. i guess i trust him though

i'll give a full report when i return on friday, hopefully, i'll still be able to see the keyboard :monkey:

Best of luck to ya! My brother in-law had this done last year and said he can't remember ever seeing so well.Said everything was alittle fuzzy for a few days but after that it was all good :thumb:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Good Luck and hope you have a quick recovery!
If he wants another "subject" to do this "laser" surgery on let me know, I need to get my eyes done, and I'm only 2 hours away from Hotlanta.

Cheers,
Brian

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
MikeD said:

MD
If'n it wuz me... Id keep little candies all up in my eye holes...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
My GF's dad had this done recently and it took more than a few weeks for his vision to fully restore/correct. It was scary there for a while because he had totally different vision in each eye (one near, one far) for quite a while but they eventually evened out and he is way stoked now.

Remember to use the special eye-drops frequently, that is key to proper healing, if your eye's dry up the cornea can peel back when you blink and that's no bueno!. :dead:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Best of luck dude! I'm sure you did plenty of research and have plenty of people to answer questions for you... but I had the surgery a few years ago and would be happy to answer questions if you run out of people to ask :p

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
the surgery turned out great!!! i was able to see 20/30 within 30 minutes of the surgery and at my post op today i was 20/20 in my right eye and 20/15 in the left!

he used the new allegreto (wavefront technology) laser that works a wider area to eliminate the halo effect and glare at night. i went out to rent a movie last night and everything was clear.

i'm using a ton of eye drops, both the medicated/prescribed ones and the artificial tears. i have naturally dry eyes so i'm being extra vigilant with the drops.

dr. brother says i should be back riding before the feb 5th fontana night DH race :thumb:

oh yeah, can't forget to add a pic.

lil manimal dropping to a tranny. i think he landed flat on this one and rode it out like a pro.

mtnbikeair

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Greensboro NC
I must say, you and your son are the men. I saw you guys out at country park last week, and your son has got some balls. I must say i hope when i have kids they will be as interested in cycling as your son.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
mtnbikeair said:
I must say, you and your son are the men. I saw you guys out at country park last week, and your son has got some balls. I must say i hope when i have kids they will be as interested in cycling as your son.

we'll be back out there as soon as it dries up. hopefully, i'll be much smoother with my new eyes :D i had a hard time focusing with my 4 yr old prescription glasses.....and i think i'm going to stick w/ the hardtail on that course :thumb:

here's a pic of noah at country park, we didn't quit until well after dark 'cause he didn't want to leave. i think it's his new favorite place!

it was so dark that i had to guess where he was to take the pic...but it still came out ok

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
That's awesome! :thumb:

This morning I was talking to my wife and she told me to start investigation laser surgery. My company's insurance will get me a %15 discount if I use one of their affiliated doctors. There's about 15 on the list, so I need to start making consultation appointments.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
werd i need some free/discounted eye fixation

oh and congrats on the new eyeballs

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
jet said:
I wish I would have known you were coming to the Atl.

We could have hooked up for a ride.

Is dr. brother still looking for guinea pigs?
ha, i mentioned that to my brother. i was planning on staying till saturday to work in a ride with peete/jeffd...the macon/atl crew but my brother overhead my plans to bring my bikes and responded with a HELL NO!

so...next time i suppose. :(

pixelninja - be sure to ask about wavefront technology and make sure that your opthamologist uses it. can mean the difference between good night vision and glares/halos.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
manimal said:
pixelninja - be sure to ask about wavefront technology and make sure that your opthamologist uses it. can mean the difference between good night vision and glares/halos.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to ask about that when I start calling around.