Quantcast

Wisp Race

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
And the Heisman trophy goes to:

Wooo! Go Sean!

Nick, your shots friggin' awesome. You're really talented, and you sure know how to use that fisheye! I specifically love the berms shots (see above). You had some awesome ones in there. I did see one of me (#106 but the number is bit blurred so it's hard to tell). Keep up the good work!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what lens were you shooting with and on what body?

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
Wooo! Go Sean!

Nick, your shots friggin' awesome. You're really talented, and you sure know how to use that fisheye! I specifically love the berms shots (see above). You had some awesome ones in there. I did see one of me (#106 but the number is bit blurred so it's hard to tell). Keep up the good work!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what lens were you shooting with and on what body?
thank you, thank you.... who said that? Luigi? tell your friends!

anyhow, i have a nikon d200, a 10.5mm f2.8, a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (tested it, it was sharper and better contrast than the nikkor!), & a 70-200mm f2.8. i want to borrow a canon to test cuz i have been having lots of focus issues with the d200. even still i'll have the d300 in november.

what's up with the buff monster? you write?

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
Am I Luigi?
Am I friends with him?

HAHAHAHA, lets just say we're not on the best terms with one an other.

I've got a d40, but I'm not impressed with it. Canon is known for having a way faster shutter and clearer images. But in my opinion Nikons overall picture quality is far superior to Canon.

About the Buff Monster, I do a little art here and there. I'm not as much as a protestor as he is, but rather I like to get some messages across. Plus, his work is just amazing... and I liked the picture.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I've got a d40, but I'm not impressed with it. Canon is known for having a way faster shutter and clearer images. But in my opinion Nikons overall picture quality is far superior to Canon.
I don't really want to get into a big technical debate, but I will give strong endorsement for the Canon digitals and could debate it for many days if needed. It is not the same debate as it used to be before digital, when the debate came down to focus, camera speed and lens sharpness. Digital technology shifts the debate to one more similar to computer debate. The reality with that is, Canon is a much bigger company with far greater resources than Nikon, which is much smaller by comparison. Canon is doing a lot of things that Nikon just seems unable to keep up with-- a full frame camera is just one example. While Nikon has finally made some progress on that front, Canon is on their fourth generation. The Canon's seem to handle difficult lighting situations better. They handle low lighting much better. Don't get me wrong; both companies put out really nice systems and there are no other companies I would endorse. If you have invested heavily in Nikon, there is no reason to buy all new stuff. But when sh t hits the fan, Canon is the camera of choice. I know of numerous newspapers, big ones, that have completely ditched their Nikons in favor of Canon. I am talking about a huge investment of 100s of thousands of dollars, so trust that there is a difference.
I do wish canon would come out with a sub $1500 full frame camera, so I can get my wide angle on. If anyone cares for an explanation as to why a fisheye doesn't work of a non-full frame sensor let me know.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yeah apparently she goes to races with her dad and brother quite a bit.
If it is the same girl, I think I met her and her dad at Ray's last year. She was riding a BMX bike and killing the jump line! If its the same girl, she is a ripper!

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
Write up from the Racer Edge website;

Hudson Trail Outfitters
Mid-Atlantic Cup Finals
Wisp Resort September 29-30, 2007

Saturday – Riders poured into the parking lot of Wisp Resort all morning, many of them just getting off of a red eye flight from Vegas as they returned from Interbike. The Racer’s Edge crew of mostly volunteers had been dialing in the tracks for weeks and now the stage was set for the last race of the 2007 Mid-Atlantic Cup, which was also round #8 of the newly re-organized, Gravity East Series. The racing started with Dual Qualifying at noon, as over 50 riders staged up for their run against the clock, that would later determine who would race whom the finals. The Dual finals got underway around 3:00pm. - But this time with a twist – Double Elimination. “It’s something riders have been asking for so we solicited some help getting the brackets and decided to do it”, said Racer’s Edge, Inc. President Mike Hartlove. The crew was up for the challenge and things went off virtually flawlessly. The racing was intense and, all but, belonged to team 9.8/Germantown Cycles, as they swept the pro podium in the same order that they qualified. Brian Price – 3rd, Trevyn Newpher – 2nd and Jason Beckley, National Champion – 1st. In the expert open category, it was Rocky Mountain Cycles rider and National Champion, Neko Mulally schooling the class on his way to another victory. Followed in second was another Germantown rider, Andrew Farrell. Third in the expert class went to Wes Boucher of Trails End Cycles who battled his way to the podium in the biggest class of the day.

Sunday – Morning came quick as the Racer’s Edge crew rallied to re-locate the finish line into the bottom of the tubing park. Some additional jumps were put in on Friday to add some flare to the, spectator filled, finish line arena. Racing started at 1:00pm with the pro women. Azonic rider, Kathi Krause took the win by nearly five seconds over 2nd place finisher, Hillary Elgert. Certainly worth mentioning, was new-comer, Lauren Daney, who won the sport women class and was only ten seconds off the Pro win! Next up, the Pro men. 9.8/Germantown Cycles rider Trevyn Newpher, crossed the line with a flat rear tire and still placed third. Off the couch and onto the podium, Todd Bosch showed everyone he still has what it takes, despite his near one-year hiatus. The winner and perhaps the biggest story of the weekend, Jason Beckley (9.8/Germantown/Kenda) pulled off the double as he won both events in the field of Pro men. The other big story of the weekend was the young man from Reading, Pa., Neko Mulally Rock(y Mountain) who also won his class in the downhill, also scoring a double for the weekend. What was most impressive was that Neko’s time was second fastest of the day. We’ll be watching this young man as he ascends his way into the pro ranks. Others who won their expert age groups included, Justin Gregory (19-29), Bob Brien (30-39) and Eric Charles (40+).

On a somber note, 16 year-old Jack Ausden, suffered a broken neck during his race run as he approached the finish line. The race was put on hold as the emergency staff attended to the young man. The good news is that Jack is expected to make a full recovery. Everyone was asked, at the awards assembly, to keep Jack in their thoughts and prayers and based on the doctor’s prognosis; the power of prayer seemed to prevail. Our thoughts will stay with Jack and we all hope to see him on his bike again soon.

All wrapped up – Racer’s Edge Inc., Wisp Resort and Hudson Trail Outfitters, amongst several others, collectively gave away over $10,000 in cash and prizes during the weekend. Good times were had by all and momentum seems to be building for this beautiful venue located in western -Maryland. The Mid-Atlantic Cup Champions will be crowned at the 2nd annual BikeToberJam in Hereford, Md. on October 20, 2007. Stay tuned to www.RacersEdgeOnline for more details.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Thats awsome. If i remember she was really young. Like highschool
HS might be pushing it she was pretty young and killing it with no protective gear. I'm glad she won her class there was a sandbagger in it who was whining about catching the lady in front of her.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
HS might be pushing it she was pretty young and killing it with no protective gear. I'm glad she won her class there was a sandbagger in it who was whining about catching the lady in front of her.
Yeah her and her dad and brother camped next to us at Snowshoe a few times. Her brother is a ripper too and I think he is only 16 or 17. She's younger than he is, I'm thinking like 14 or 15. Their dad is very cool. Real neat to see a parent supporting their kids racing like he does.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
If the lady in front of her would have stopped blocking the trial the "sandbagger" (second year racing by the way there chief) then she would have won the race.

If you get caught, move the hell over, don't block someone out just to be a bitch. Damn...

You guys realize that the Wisp race results are over and done with??? You should thinking about more constructive things. Like " How can I hit those jumps as smooth as that 15 year old girl that won last year???" Not a sermon, just a thought.

Dave Kalt
Cyclist

PS

I'm so glad I don't race beginner/sport class......those racer's are CUT-THROAT!!!!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Pulling over for a faster racer is considered good etiquette, but whining is never allowed.