Quantcast

With over eight months left till the tour starts, the smack talk has begun!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Ullrich wants Armstrong at Tour
German rider Jan Ullrich has reacted angrily to criticism from American rival Lance Armstrong that he does not train hard enough and vowed to push the six-time winner in next year's Tour de France.

Armstrong claimed T-Mobile rider Ullrich, 30, had become too lazy in training and that was the reason for his below-par performances over the past 12 months.

"Lance does not know me at all," countered Ullrich, who finished a disappointing fourth in this year's Tour. "This comment is probably due to his American mentality. He has no idea how hard I train. I am ambitious and devoted otherwise I would not have reached the top of this sport."

Ullrich won the Tour de France in 1997 and has finished second five times. His fourth-place finish in 2004 is his worst-ever performance in the Tour. Olympic road race champion in 2000, Ullrich has once again set winning the Tour de France as his main target and is keen for his nemesis Armstrong to be there.

"I am not going to say I will win the Tour but that target still keeps me going," said Ullrich, attending the T-Mobile presentation in The Hague in the Netherlands on Monday. "I want to beat the best in the world at the biggest races. I believe Lance will be there at the start line."

Armstrong had hinted that he might sit out the 2005 Tour after lifting his sixth title.

Team T-Mobile - 2005
Eric Baumann (G)
Giuseppe Guerini (I)
Serguei Ivanov (RUS)
Torsten Hiekmann (G)
Serguei Yakovlev (Kz)
Matthias Kessler (G)
Andreas Klier (G)
Andreas Klöden (G)
Tomas Konecny (Cz)
Andre Korff (G)
Daniele Nardello (I)
Olaf Pollack (G)
Jan Schaffrath (G)
Stephan Schreck (G)
Bram Schmitz (Nl)
Tobias Steinhauser (G)
Jan Ullrich (G)
Christian Werner (G)
Steffen Wesemann (G)
Alexander Vinokurov (KZK)
Erik Zabel (G)

J

JRB

Well, it's smarter to trash talk during the off season than to eat twinkies and get fat, like he did last year.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
He has no idea how hard I train. I am ambitious and devoted otherwise I would not have reached the top of this sport."
I'm sorry Jan, I didn't realize that taking "E" and crashing Porsche's was considered training.

He needs to amend that statement to; "I would not have once reached the top of this sport." Jan hasn't been at the top of anything but a beer stein since Lance's hair grew back.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Damn True said:
I'm sorry Jan, I didn't realize that taking "E" and crashing Porsche's was considered training.

He needs to amend that statement to; "I would not have once reached the top of this sport." Jan hasn't been at the top of anything but a beer stein since Lance's hair grew back.
Hey true I`am sure he mounted a couple of Ho`s toooo :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The funny thing about Ullrich is, without Armstrong, he could have gone down in Tour history for his performances over the past 5/6 years. Ullrich is to the Tour and Armstrong as Scottie Pippen was to the NBA and Jordan. It's too bad we will never know just how far one (Ullrich) could've gone without the other (Armstrong) in the way.