Quantcast

With this thread I RM Wed<<<

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Happy to be back in the office after a 2-week hiatus due to adventures in parenting...

My youngest kid (turned 7 during his misadventure) burnt his esophagus quite badly two weeks ago today. We were getting ready to take our oldest to his XC ski practice that night, and he took a big gulp from a thermos into which I'd just poured boiling water to make tea... we wound up spending a week at the hospital. The burn was all the way around the esophagus, and he needed pretty aggressive pain management (he was on a nurse-administered morphine drip for a couple of days). We got home a week ago today. He's going to need to keep the tube for another 2-4 weeks, and can't go to school with it, so my wife are taking turns wfh and going to the office every other day. It's been quite the trip, but goddam are kids ever tough, and I'm happy to be back at the office and not sitting in a hospital room anymore...

Also, I'm looking forward to ride-night tomorrow!
Yikes. Glad that got handled.

Yerp.

I half-laced up my new front wheel last night.
i too pulled a front hub swap last night. side a went flawless, side b had to be laced 3 times. a few too many beers had me thinking i started lacing it in the wrong spot the first 2 times until i realized that i had also been going in the wrong direction. i practically wanted to just smash the wheel and go buy a new one by the time i was done...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i too pulled a front hub swap last night. side a went flawless, side b had to be laced 3 times. a few too many beers had me thinking i started lacing it in the wrong spot the first 2 times until i realized that i had also been going in the wrong direction. i practically wanted to just smash the wheel and go buy a new one by the time i was done...
Never happened to me with wheel building (I never built wheels), but I’ve been in that boat on other types of projects. Reworking things will wear out patience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the only major screwup i ever made while lacing a wheel was when i was given a box of parts from another mechanic at my shop to lace up a BMX wheel (he was donating it to me). it laced up fine, but there was way too much spoke sticking out the nipple. he failed to tell me the spokes were sized for a 4x lacing not 3x.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
tonight is the first meeting for kindergarten readiness at the local school. can't believe my first kid will be starting in the fall.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Does anyone publish defect rates for MTBs or are you citing bro statistics?
anecdotal evidence is the best we have. guy i work with (who is a global director or R&D, a decidedly non-bro) went through i think 3 warranty frames before he gave up on yeti.

also plenty of pictures of broken yetis on these here innernetz.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
anecdotal evidence is the best we have. guy i work with (who is a global director or R&D, a decidedly non-bro) went through i think 3 warranty frames before he gave up on yeti.
Is that such a bad thing?? Lifetime warranty on Yeti, so break a bike, get a new one, break a bike, get a new one.... :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Starting to see a little interest in the dentist bike I have for sale... this guy made me an offer via eBay message, citing a year-older bike he saw on CL as reasoning/justification for his (perfectly reasonable starting point) offer. Hoping he finds my post on CL and connects with me that way, and we can both get a mo'bettah deal.
Hey there, thanks for the message. And also for the reminder that I need to renew the listing I have on Craig's List... you're offer isn't offensively lowball until one takes into account the offensively high eBay fees and such. Perhaps have another look on Craig's List in my area and see if anything new popped up recently? wink wink nudge nudge.

Cheers,
Full Trucker
I have also broken more aluminum bikes than plastic. And I've had a grip of plastic bikes.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Skiing was accomplished. The chute to the right as one goes up 3 Bears Lift is fun! Managed to not look like a goon and eject from my skis underneath Blackjack to boot, unlike on Sunday.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Pretty much a repeat of a couple of days ago as I have the same fresh ingredients still but HOLY SHIT the scotch bonnets are sooo tasty when not used in excess. :drool:
On a side note I may find it difficult to have a pizza that I like better than mine.

Now waiting for the afterburner to kick in. :panic:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Front wheel wheeled.

Still waiting on adapters to true up the rear. Modern rims in 26" seem like cheating to true.
received_2765710493483100.jpeg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Pretty much a repeat of a couple of days ago as I have the same fresh ingredients still but HOLY SHIT the scotch bonnets are sooo tasty when not used in excess. :drool:
On a side note I may find it difficult to have a pizza that I like better than mine.

Now waiting for the afterburner to kick in. :panic:
Good looking Pie.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Don't have any pizza shot to share, but have a nice rear hub story though.

Stripped the ratchet ring in my fatbike hub. Le screwed. :(