Quantcast

WNBA: Who Cares?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I was just watching sports center and they showed some WNBA highlights. I noticed that (besides the terrible play) the stands were almost completely empty.
They were in a full size arena, and there couldnt have been more than 2,500 people there. How is the WNBA still around? The continually have the lowest TV ratings (yes, below poker) and apparently no one attends the games either.
Are they subsidized by the regular NBA or something? I wish it would just go away so we could get more T.O. news. :banghead:

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
yeah, who knows how in the **** it's still around

no, but really, it sucks so bad. The 2500 folk that were there were either family of the players or won the tickets on a 'today's pop music' radio station and didn't have **** better to do on a wednesday nite

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Word, quite honestly I have no idea how it's lasted this long. It's almost like nobody wants to fold the league because of the sh!tstorm they would have to endure.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was just watching sports center and they showed some WNBA highlights. I noticed that (besides the terrible play) the stands were almost completely empty.
They were in a full size arena, and there couldnt have been more than 2,500 people there. How is the WNBA still around? The continually have the lowest TV ratings (yes, below poker) and apparently no one attends the games either.
Are they subsidized by the regular NBA or something? I wish it would just go away so we could get more T.O. news. :banghead:
These teams are subsidized by the NBA. Being a sport saavy fan, I am not surprised you noticed the problem with the WNBA.

Frankly, if these women were hotter, I bet there would be more interest, a la tennis or golf.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think they tried to push the "hot women" angle at the beginning with a couple of the marginally attractive players, but eventally just gave up because 99% of the players are straight up fugly.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think they tried to push the "hot women" angle at the beginning with a couple of the marginally attractive players, but eventally just gave up because 99% of the players are straight up fugly.
They all drive subaru foresters and wear denim shorts with keen sandals too. :happydance:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Homer "Ooooo, look at Jeanene Girafalo"
Marge "Homer, I don't think it's a good idea to taunt the 7' tall chinese lady"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Frankly, I think the problem with the WNBA is twofold:

1. What do they do that you couldn't find in NBA or college basketball?
2. I do think they hide the personal lives of the players. If they are freaks, let it out, like FIBA soccer.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
"They made fun of our women's basketball team? Did you explain to them how our good fundamentals make up for thier inability to dunk?"
-futurama

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
They all drive subaru foresters and wear denim shorts with keen sandals too. :happydance:
Hey that almost describes echo too...I kid, I kid. Yeah the WNBA is subsidized by the NBA, the only reason I can think that it still exists is to keep whatever popularity womens college bball has.
Or to destract people from how awful the NBA is compared to college ball...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
"They made fun of our women's basketball team? Did you explain to them how our good fundamentals make up for thier inability to dunk?"
-futurama
bwahahaha. that's a great episode.
"what did they all die from?"
"broken pelvises."
"yeah! woohoo! right on!"

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Hey that almost describes echo too...I kid, I kid. Yeah the WNBA is subsidized by the NBA, the only reason I can think that it still exists is to keep whatever popularity womens college bball has.
Or to destract people from how awful the NBA is compared to college ball...
Funny you mention that. I am not a basketball fan but my dad is. (He follows HIGH SCHOOL ball, fer goodnessakes!) Therefore I grew up knowing basketball. Anywho... I was listening to an interview with John Wooden on the radio last year. He was saying that he rarely watches pro ball these days and that he finds more skill and fundamental basketball in the college ranks.

In talking to older basketball fans like my dad and his brothers I find that most are dissapointed with the state of the game now as compared to the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Well, some of the college top players are pretty hot (except for the forward and center player positions -oafs).

I think if WNBA enforces a sports top/bra jersey mandatory league policy, two things may happen:
one- endorsement from Speedo/TYR would pick up, and two, more male target audience would be enticed to watch the sport, I mean the WNBA.

yup, this is heather talking. :p

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Meh, I don't mind the WNBA too much. I really hate the centers in NBA, especially Shaq. Too much brute force plays in the NBA IMO.

In the WNBA it seems there's more passing, the game moves pretty quickly, and there are some pretty good shots.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Meh, I don't mind the WNBA too much. I really hate the centers in NBA, especially Shaq. Too much brute force plays in the NBA IMO.

In the WNBA it seems there's more passing, the game moves pretty quickly, and there are some pretty good shots.
...you call yourself a man. :brow:

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW

The Bears should be calling soon, asking you to remove their logo from your avatar.... maybe you can replace it w/ something Martha Stewart or Oprah related.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Why
No
Body
Attending ?

because nowadays all pro basketball sucks.

the N.B.A. is suffering the post jordan slump.
and it doesn't help, that nothing but a bunch of tattooed hoodlums have infiltrated the game.

for as far back as i can remember, i've been a fan of the game.
but nowadays none of the teams (men or women) are worth stopping to watch while you're channel surfing.
let alone paying $$$ to go and see in person.

i used to never be a fan of college hoops.
but now that where the best game resides. (men and women)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think if WNBA enforces a sports top/bra jersey mandatory league policy, two things may happen:
one- endorsement from Speedo/TYR would pick up, and two, more male target audience would be enticed to watch the sport, I mean the WNBA.

yup, this is heather talking. :p
Unless implants come with the sports bra, no.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
WHAT!! I CARE

These Women work their Hart and soul out everyday dreaming of a Shot in the WNBA. Then when the WNBA gets established you guys just want to throw them aside like an old jock strap! :rant:

You should all be very ashamed very very Ashamed!!

LOL... Did I fool anyone!! :happydance:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Why
No
Body
Attending ?

because nowadays all pro basketball sucks.

the N.B.A. is suffering the post jordan slump.
and it doesn't help, that nothing but a bunch of tattooed hoodlums have infiltrated the game.

for as far back as i can remember, i've been a fan of the game.
but nowadays none of the teams (men or women) are worth stopping to watch while you're channel surfing.
let alone paying $$$ to go and see in person.

i used to never be a fan of college hoops.
but now that where the best game resides. (men and women)
Sounds to me like most long time basketball fans agree with Coach Wooden. (And if you don't know who Coach Wooden is you shouldn't be allowed to call yourself a basketball fan!)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i went to the game when the Seattle Storm won the championship, and it was alot of fun. i still skim thru a game when it's on the tube, but i don't follow it as closely as a true fan. i just don't have enough lesbian in me i guess.