Quantcast

Wolf Tooth Components chain pliers

I ordered up a set of Wolf Tooth's ultra-light pack pliers which arrived today. Here are some observations and comments:

They're chain link pliers/link holder/tire iron and Presta core wrench. A pair of magnets, one in each handle, hold them in the closed position when not in use.

They're small and light. I have two quibbles:
  • When used as pliers, it's easy to drop link segments.
  • There's a lot of play in the pivot, measured at 0.02" difference between barrel nut and holes in the handle. Rather than start with reasonable clearance and tightening the pivot fully, they apparently use Loctite and tighten just until handles come up against a nylon shim washer. They could have done better with the mechanical design.
I'll report further after they have spent some time kicking around in my pack.
1610222359094.png

1610222427842.png

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just carry a Leatherman type set of actual pliers, which also has a sharp as heck knife and other stuff on it. Weighs more, but has come in handy a bunch of times.

This looks nice, but will take up more rooms and I already have a zip lock bag with links and tire levers in it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just carry a Leatherman type set of actual pliers, which also has a sharp as heck knife and other stuff on it. Weighs more, but has come in handy a bunch of times.

This looks nice, but will take up more rooms and I already have a zip lock bag with links and tire levers in it.
So my iditarod trip is coming up and yeah, I make sure to have some kind of pliers, because you never know what you might need some pliers for.

I'm not sure what the Wolftooth pliers are for, I've had chains break *ultra rare now* and in those cases, I would remove the damaged links with a chain tool. I can think of zero times I've been on the trail and wanted to disconnect the quick-link thing and of course, putting one in just requires a good hard stomp on the pedals to lock. For the home-mechanic, I can see the point. I got lucky and have some slim wire strippers that are the exact right size for chain links, so I can use that at home, but on the trail? Not sure what situation would warrant it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So my iditarod trip is coming up and yeah, I make sure to have some kind of pliers, because you never know what you might need some pliers for.

I'm not sure what the Wolftooth pliers are for, I've had chains break *ultra rare now* and in those cases, I would remove the damaged links with a chain tool. I can think of zero times I've been on the trail and wanted to disconnect the quick-link thing and of course, putting one in just requires a good hard stomp on the pedals to lock. For the home-mechanic, I can see the point. I got lucky and have some slim wire strippers that are the exact right size for chain links, so I can use that at home, but on the trail? Not sure what situation would warrant it?

I have had to break a chain apart on the trail after it has jammed between cassette and wheel.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My pack pliers are a Leatherman Skeletool. They work good and have a built in blade too. I also carry a single blade pocket knife cause I am OCD about knives on rides. Once my buddy was almost stranded at the far end of Phil's World and all we needed was a pocket knife. Luckily I found a chert flake that was plenty sharp and we used it to dissect the tube who's valve stem had welded into the rim.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What drove me is that quick links can be a PITA to disengage.
No question, they can be. I was just reminiscing how it's never been something that I thought I'd need on a trail, because you already need a chain-tool to get rid of bent/trashed links if you have to use a quick-link and I've never ran into a situation where I would have needed one while riding, heck we didn't even have quick links back in the day. But for the shop, sure, that can be a nice thing to have, although I'd probably want even more leverage to make the job easier.

No question, they can be. I was just reminiscing how it's never been something that I thought I'd need on a trail, because you already need a chain-tool to get rid of bent/trashed links if you have to use a quick-link and I've never ran into a situation where I would have needed one while riding, heck we didn't even have quick links back in the day. But for the shop, sure, that can be a nice thing to have, although I'd probably want even more leverage to make the job easier.
Hence the Park MLP-1.2 .

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Leatherman folding pliers. :P
Bringing big heavy leatherman pliers on a ride is pretty overkill too, I'd agree. Even some of the smaller ones, but pliers are nice for some of the more obscure stuff that you might face. Then it's a struggle between having pliers large enough to be effective and not carrying around 2lb in pliers.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I've got that tool and have used it trailside on several other peoples bikes (not my own as yet thankfully).
It works, does what it says on the pack(pliers)! it's also a tyre lever but take care on carbon rims.
it is a lil on the short side for leverage which is why I've just upgraded to the newer predictably more expensive version.
longer way more tools packed inside, but only room for 1 set of spare quicklinks not 2 like the old one.
But overall way way better.
My tool kit now consists of this thing, a crank bros speedier lever, tubleless repair tool/CO2 inflator and a tyre boot.

Link for the haters.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've got that tool and have used it trailside on several other peoples bikes (not my own as yet thankfully).
It works, does what it says on the pack(pliers)! it's also a tyre lever but take care on carbon rims.
it is a lil on the short side for leverage which is why I've just upgraded to the newer predictably more expensive version.
longer way more tools packed inside, but only room for 1 set of spare quicklinks not 2 like the old one.
But overall way way better.
My tool kit now consists of this thing, a crank bros speedier lever, tubleless repair tool/CO2 inflator and a tyre boot.

Link for the haters.....
What was the repair where you had to use it on the trail? Curious.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bringing big heavy leatherman pliers on a ride is pretty overkill too, I'd agree. Even some of the smaller ones, but pliers are nice for some of the more obscure stuff that you might face. Then it's a struggle between having pliers large enough to be effective and not carrying around 2lb in pliers.
I have the Leatherman Rebar version, which is under half a pound and they function like normal pliers - big enough for anything on a bike and they fold away very nicely - about the size of my Crank Brothers multi-tool. I've only used the knife and the flat head thing in it, but the other tools on it stay tucked up and away.

These things have helped people unjam chains and on a few occasions (including in the middle of PA and Quebec) it was the only tool that would unscrew corroded locknuts on tubeless valve stems - those guys would have been walking home for hours otherwise.

I'm already carrying a tall can of beer on most rides, which I think it over a pound (?) and 2 pounds or more of water (if its super hot/humid in the summer). So my thought is that its better safe than sorry and isn't actually adding much to the weight of the pack in the long run.

But yeah if you want something lighter and maybe don't use a hydration pack, it won't be the best option. I'd never go out on those long rides where you end up far from your car or roads without it though.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have the Leatherman Rebar version, which is under half a pound and they function like normal pliers - big enough for anything on a bike and they fold away very nicely - about the size of my Crank Brothers multi-tool. I've only used the knife and the flat head thing in it, but the other tools on it stay tucked up and away.

These things have helped people unjam chains and on a few occasions (including in the middle of PA and Quebec) it was the only tool that would unscrew corroded locknuts on tubeless valve stems - those guys would have been walking home for hours otherwise.

I'm already carrying a tall can of beer on most rides, which I think it over a pound (?) and 2 pounds or more of water (if its super hot/humid in the summer). So my thought is that its better safe than sorry and isn't actually adding much to the weight of the pack in the long run.
That's what I mean with normal pliers, they do come handy at times and it's hard to anticipate what you need them for, sometimes to bend something back, sometimes to tighten or loosen a valve locknut when your cold gloved fingers ain't cutting it, etc. Mostly IME it's the pliers and having some serrations/grip available, the less other shit usually, the better.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I got a set of these not long after they were released and to be honest I haven't used them once. I try to avoid carrying single-purpose items and although these have a couple of extras they have one fundamental purpose, and there are several other ways to open a quick link on the trail if needed.

(112) How to open up a chain connector the easy way - SRAM powerlock - how to / tutorial - YouTube

(112) How to unlock a bicycle chain with SRAM Powerlink without tools - YouTube
When I went from 9 to 11 speed chains, the links, in my mind, got noticeably harder to disconnect. This is why I took to carrying a Park tool, which is lunky.

Use one or don't use a connector tool as you choose. Ain't no right answer nor anyone telling you what to do.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Harder yeah, but still doable in an emergency. I have the park pliers at home, they're great, I just haven't found that I really need them on the trail. Just providing my experience, hope they work out for you.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
You are obviously better at puns.

Really close to, is where I put my Syadasti hat on.

16 fl oz would be 473 grams or 1.04lbs and to be truly pedantic beer generally has a specific gravity or 1.010 or 5% heavier than water so your 'over' pounder is 1.04~1.09lbs not adding in the can.

And really imperial pints are the better volume of measure where beer is concerned.

Well, I do...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The little OneUp pliers have got to weigh 25% as much as the Wolf Tooth thing, and stay in the "stash" tube of my EDC.