Quantcast

Woman attacked by SEVEN pit bulls

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by Damn True
Just wanted to dispell a common misconception. There is no "lock" in a pit-bulls jaw mechanical or otherwise that prevents the opening. This is an urban legend.
They are however, pound for pound, one of the strongest dogs in existance. As such, they are able to hang on rather well when they choose to do so.

The thing is, pretty much any dog over roughly 45lbs is going to have a jaw strong enough to prevent removing something from it's mouth that it dosen't wish to have removed.

Ever tried to take a tennis ball away from a lab that has not been trained to drop on command? If he dosen't want to give it up, you wont get it.

By the way, I am not making a blanket advocation of this breed. It is not for everyone, nor is a border collie for everyone (spastic high energy dogs). Every type of dog has a place and a person.

Just a couple of examples.
Pointers are rather aloof in regard to people, so if your desire is for a lap dog they are not a good choice.

Herding breeds (border collie, aussie shepards, german shepards) are high energy and very smart. They need a situation in which they almost always have a job to do or they can become bored and destructive. They are also prone to separation anxiety and sometimes are not good around groups of children.

Many mastiffs (English, Bullmastiff, Douge DeBordeaux) are tractable, but stubborn if not given new challenges. Also due to these dogs strength and power their owners must be dedicated to good control training.

Sight hounds need tons of room to run and have extremely high prey drives. Cat owners need not apply as most are difficult if not impossible to train out of their desire to chase and catch small fuzzy things. Introduced as puppies there is a chance, but once established it is very tough to break.

The point is that dogs arent bad. But sometimes, people are. And sometimes even good people (depending on circumstance) can be bad for dogs.
I'd say that's pretty much spot on.

Sounds like you've had a few dogs in your time..

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

Herding breeds (border collie, aussie shepards, german shepards) are high energy and very smart. They need a situation in which they almost always have a job to do or they can become bored and destructive. They are also prone to separation anxiety and sometimes are not good around groups of children.

True WTF is a Aussie shephard? Do you mean a kelpie? Those farm dogs are no good for town, they gotta run.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by valve bouncer
True WTF is a Aussie shephard? Do you mean a kelpie? Those farm dogs are no good for town, they gotta run.
General term for two distinct but very cool breeds from Australia.

Australian Cattle Dog

and

Australian Shephard

...and your are correct. These dogs need room, and something to do at all times. Sadly there are a lot of unhappy owners and unhappy dogs in the US becuase people have made purchases based on what is cute, or trendy without doing research into what the breed is like and what their needs are. Again, this speaks to the issue of irresponsible breeders and owners.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Silver
Interesting note:

When I was shopping around for homeowner's insurance, everyone asked if I had pets. When I said "two cats" you could hear relief on the other end of the line.

One agent I was talking to said that a lot of companies won't write a policy if you own certain "attack" breeds of dog.

In other news, the guy that drops our Fedex off at work is just back from a 6 week layoff. He had gotten hamstrung by a pitbull. Ugly stuff, man...
Something I hadn't thought much about. Thanks for the info. I wonder what other breeds are on that list.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
General term for two distinct but very cool breeds from Australia.

Australian Cattle Dog

and

Australian Shephard

...and your are correct. These dogs need room, and something to do at all times. Sadly there are a lot of unhappy owners and unhappy dogs in the US becuase people have made purchases based on what is cute, or trendy without doing research into what the breed is like and what their needs are. Again, this speaks to the issue of irresponsible breeders and owners.
Wow never seen or heard of that breed before...learn something new everyday. Blue Heelers are beautiful dogs, Red Heelers are even nicer but keeping them in town should be a crime. When i was a tacker, the guy next door to us had a blue heeler (he was a shearer but lived in town) that was a bit highly strung. It bit me twice, once below the eye and once just above, nothing really viscous but enough to scare the sh*t out of a 8 year old. It wasn't until I was older and met a few proper farm blue heelers that I realized just what beautiful dogs they are.
On a side note DT, make you cry to see the life some dogs lead here in Japan:(

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Both of those breeds have been refered to as "blues" and or "heelers". You wacky Aussies. What is a red heeler?

The biting is common with many of the herding breeds. They are bred to keep the herd in check by nipping at the heels (hence the name "heeler") of the cattle or sheep to drive them back to the herd. That's fine if you are working with a bunch of sheep. Not so hot if it's a bunch of 8 year old kids in the park or front yard.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
The list has Rotts' which can look menacing but all the ones I have had must have has issues because they were the biggest babies in the world. They wanted to be lap dogs. 120lb lap dogs just don't work.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Thanks, thats some good info. Glad to know that Roxy, my new Bullmastiff is not on the list.

I dunno about the dobie, every one I've ever met has been a complete marshmallow.
Tell me you didn't name your dog after a line of surfer girl clothes.....:D

What's your address, I'll send you a sticker :devil:

I dunno crap about dogs, I've been scared of them ever since I was a little kid. I was like 4 years old and this big German Shepard barked at me. I'm a wuss to this day.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
There are two huge bull mastiffs that run around free guarding the property of one of the homeowners near my favorite local trail. One day while exploring near the property line, they came running up to me barking and menacing. I had a Glock in my pack, fortunately, but decided to try and think my way out of trouble. I dismounted my bike keeping it between me and one of the dogs and slowly walked back to my truck, talking playfully with the dogs the whole way. One kept circling behind me, which I found quite unnerving, but I eventually made it back with them barking the whole way. I really didn't want to lift the bike to put it back in my truck, but finally did so without provoking an attack. I'm not sure I could have drawn my Model-20 quickly enough to prevent a mauling, anyways, they were THAT close. I have only seen them once since that day and have taken to calling them "Zeus" and "Apollo" after Magnum's favorite pooches.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
My dog was attacked by some a-hole’s pitbull. I dumped 4 ounces of OC bear spray into the dog’s face from 2 feet. Took about 20 seconds for the pit to let loose. I should have used the last 2 ounces on the owner. They are impressive dogs and no doubt can be awesome pets. But let’s face it, they were bred to fight/attack. I’ve been going to public dog parks and have seen plenty of dog fights that are nothing but posturing with minor injuries. Not the case with this pit.

We adopted a dog last week from the humane society. Two dumbf^cks were also adopting and all they wanted was a pitbull or rotweiller. Overhearing them, I’m confident they weren’t just fanciers of a maligned breed. Felt sorry for the dogs.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Silver
Tell me you didn't name your dog after a line of surfer girl clothes.....:D

What's your address, I'll send you a sticker :devil:

I dunno crap about dogs, I've been scared of them ever since I was a little kid. I was like 4 years old and this big German Shepard barked at me. I'm a wuss to this day.
Her AKC registry name is Dame Roxanne of some-pretentious-bullsheite. Roxy seems easier.

Still amazed and sadend that someone abandoned her.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
There are two huge bull mastiffs that run around free guarding the property of one of the homeowners near my favorite local trail. One day while exploring near the property line, they came running up to me barking and menacing. I had a Glock in my pack, fortunately, but decided to try and think my way out of trouble. I dismounted my bike keeping it between me and one of the dogs and slowly walked back to my truck, talking playfully with the dogs the whole way. One kept circling behind me, which I found quite unnerving, but I eventually made it back with them barking the whole way. I really didn't want to lift the bike to put it back in my truck, but finally did so without provoking an attack. I'm not sure I could have drawn my Model-20 quickly enough to prevent a mauling, anyways, they were THAT close. I have only seen them once since that day and have taken to calling them "Zeus" and "Apollo" after Magnum's favorite pooches.
They were behaving as bred. They most likely would not have bitten. Bullies tend place themselves between an offender and what they are protecting and if challenged they tend to tackle and hold intruders rather than bite.

Damned irresponsible for the land owner to let them run like that w/o a fence. Unless of course you were tresspassing, then it's on you and good doggy.

The playful voice was a good move. Ive never seen nor heard of a dog attacking while being told "good-boy" in a high pitched praising type voice. As a hasher, I have tresspassed quite a bit....shhhhh.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Spud
My dog was attacked by some a-hole’s pitbull. I dumped 4 ounces of OC bear spray into the dog’s face from 2 feet. Took about 20 seconds for the pit to let loose. I should have used the last 2 ounces on the owner. They are impressive dogs and no doubt can be awesome pets. But let’s face it, they were bred to fight/attack. I’ve been going to public dog parks and have seen plenty of dog fights that are nothing but posturing with minor injuries. Not the case with this pit.

We adopted a dog last week from the humane society. Two dumbf^cks were also adopting and all they wanted was a pitbull or rotweiller. Overhearing them, I’m confident they weren’t just fanciers of a maligned breed. Felt sorry for the dogs.

Yeah, that kind of thing fries me. Irresponsible owners, breeders and in some cases, adoption agencies are making for the runiation of a breed. Thankfully most agencies will not allow an intact dog to be adopted. Most require obediance classes though some still do not and even fewer have any means of enforcement.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by stevew
Since you are in Japan, do you see many Tosa Inu's?

steve
Tosa is the old name for Kochi prefecture. I live in the next prefecture to Kochi and have been there many times. I did see this guy walking 2 Tosa Inu (inu is the Japanese word for dog for those who don't know) one day when I was down there. They were f*cking enormous, biggest dogs I've ever seen, more like a shetland pony than a dog.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Tosa-Inu are amazing animals. I have wanted one for years. The size of an English Mastiff, but the agility of a dog 1/2 the size.

They were originally bred as fighting dogs. The thing about them is the way they fight. I was shown a video of a fight once. They don't bite, snarl, bark, yelp or in any way act like a "normal" dog. They wrestle in a manner similar to Sumo. Amazing to watch. The dogs walk away unharmed. Except for the occasional joint injury.

As companion dogs they are very docile and well mannered, extremely rarely dog aggressive (if you allow the dog to become so, it will) and not at all prey driven. It's almost like a really large powerfull man knowing he is the baddest mo-fo in the room and that he has nothing to prove.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
The biting is common with many of the herding breeds. They are bred to keep the herd in check by nipping at the heels (hence the name "heeler") of the cattle or sheep to drive them back to the herd. That's fine if you are working with a bunch of sheep. Not so hot if it's a bunch of 8 year old kids in the park or front yard.
More people are bitten in Australian, by blue and red healers than any other dog breed. It is really only cattle dogs that nip, sheep dogs like kelpies and border collies don't have that problem.