Quantcast

Woman On Mountain Bike Crashes Into Black Bear

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
My friend did that once in the Adirondacks. Riding back to his campsite in the dark. Ran right into it's backside. He hit the ground and froze. The bear sniffed him from head to toe and then reared up on it's hind legs. At this point he got up and sprinted to the nearest building about a half mile away. I happened to be there and got to see how large his eyes were(funny later, not at the time). He was so out of breath that it took him a couple minutes to tell us what had happened.

Thinking about it now, that was probably a brown bear he hit. A black bear would have f**ked him up.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So the article says the bears will be 'shifting gears.' That's bad news, folks...they were dangerous enough as singlespeeders.

If they go full-sus, we could be in serious trouble as a species.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
w00dy said:
Thinking about it now, that was probably a brown bear he hit. A black bear would have f**ked him up.
If you have your choice of which bear species to tangle with, go with the Black Bear. Browns are much bigger and will regulate your natural world if you F with 'em.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
llkoolkeg said:
If you have your choice of which bear species to tangle with, go with the Black Bear. Browns are much bigger and will regulate your natural world if you F with 'em.

That and I'm pretty certain there are no grizzlies in the 'dacks.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I don't see what the big deal is here, this sort of thing seems to happen at least once a year in Whistler and nothing ever comes from it. Of course, it may be that the Whistler bears are used to being blindsided by crazy Canucks.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Just another reason to KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD. Honestly, how can you miss a big bear sitting in the road? (The news said it was just sitting there.)

splat

Nam I am
TtotheJ said:
I don't see what the big deal is here, this sort of thing seems to happen at least once a year in Whistler and nothing ever comes from it. Of course, it may be that the Whistler bears are used to being blindsided by crazy Canucks.
that is because the crazy Canucks are doing it on purpose trying to get a date.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm going to be in Tahoe for a week starting Sunday, I'm wanna hook up with this bear. From that article......" In Nevada, near Lake Tahoe, a bear climbed into a vintage convertible July 2 and snacked on pizza and beer". Anyone know if Lakeside Pizza reopened?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
robdamanii said:
Anyone notice she was doing a triathalon? Somehow I doubt she was on a MOUNTAIN bike there ;)
Two possibilities:
1. she didn't want to invest in a TT bike. Lots of people ride mtbikes with slicks during pavement events and races.
2. it was an off-road Tri... mtb, trail run kind of thing. We have them.

very cool story!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Chunky Munkey said:
I can't BEAR it anymore... I have to say this... it's TOO perfect for this thread...

So she hit the Fridgerator?

You'll get that one in a few minutes.
Bears, Bears, Bears....