Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was almost hit for the second time today, on top of being clipped by a SUV.

10 minutes before I got hit, a woman tried to merge into the bike lane while I was descending down Mission doing 20mph.

Just now, I saw a chick pull over, to put up on her makeup or talk on the cell, I don't know. As I pass her, she decides to pull out right then.

She wasn't nice like the woman who actually hit me. She started yelling through the window, so I slapped her mirror back.

Tomorrow, I'm rolling with a hammer, ice pick, knife, dog chain, spray paint, and my u-lock in my pocket...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm not the mooshoo. All were sideswipes when I was at least level with the driver, and when I was clipped by the front bumper.

Don't be a douche.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Why aren't you picking up these chicks and banging them? I mean damn man, you've got a great opening line AND a sympathy card to play. Quit telling us about it and get to laying some pipe!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Serious note....Last year we got a little flury of snow over in Yucaipa. I was driving behind this lady who was just all over thr effin road. When she finally ran another driving from the oncoming off the road, I started honking at her and screaming out the window to pull over... She did, I oulled in front of her, got out to see if she was ok....I was thinking she was having a medical problem or something of that nature........Nooooo.....She has three inches of snow on her windsheild....She was trying to drive with about a 1 in hole she made in the snow. I ask her what the **** she thinks she is doing trying to drive with all the snow on her window, her responce was I am late to work, and the wipers are stuck... what else can I do.....I say, dont be a dumbass to start.... I show her the trick of using a CD case to scrape the snow off......She thought I was a mirracle worker........Yes, she was hot, redheaded, and if I was single.... I would have gotten her number for some late night loving.........

So after that little rant...I feel for Sanjuro a little, but I will remind him once again the golden rules for two wheels

1, YOUR INVISIBLE.... there is no arguing that, two wheels, means best invisibilty cloak ever

2, If they can, they will......If they can cut you off, if they can pull in front of you....assume they will, and prepare ahead of time

3, There is only one person responsible to keep you safe...... thats you, dont expect other drivers to yeild, to see you, to do what makes you safe... thats on you

4, ALWAYS have mor thanone way out of the situation your in. If you find yourself stuck between two cars.... find somewere else to be,

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
So after that little rant...I feel for Sanjuro a little, but I will remind him once again the golden rules for two wheels

1, YOUR INVISIBLE.... there is no arguing that, two wheels, means best invisibilty cloak ever

2, If they can, they will......If they can cut you off, if they can pull in front of you....assume they will, and prepare ahead of time

3, There is only one person responsible to keep you safe...... thats you, dont expect other drivers to yeild, to see you, to do what makes you safe... thats on you

4, ALWAYS have mor thanone way out of the situation your in. If you find yourself stuck between two cars.... find somewere else to be,
5. dont be a pu55y.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There seems to be a common factor in all of your run-ins with cars.

You.
Your asshattery aside, I did think about why all 3 incidents occurred.

I ride on these roads regularly and yesterday was the first time anything serious has happened. Two happened in the morning, the second at night but I had my Niterider and my blinkies on.

The first one there were no parked cars, I assume for street cleaning, so the driver thought she could sneak up the road or maybe do a quick pull over. I was doing 20-25mph, so that adds to the danger. Still she had to look to her right before making a quick maneuver.

The second one where I actually was clipped, she did not signal and her front bumper made contact with my pedal. I knew she was going to make a right even though she hadn't signaled or even pointed her wheels.

I did have right of way and I was not in her blind spot. I could have slowed and let her turn in front of me but I had an out so I wouldn't have to slam into her even if she hadn't stopped.

The third one was at night. I knew by the way she pulled over, she could pull out at any second, but I was in the bike lane, fully visible.

Ultimately, all three drivers were doing something out of the ordinary (for them), didn't spend the extra 1.5 seconds looking around, and probably would have hit a less aware cyclist on a fixie or a junker.

I'm a veteran commuter on a high end mountain bike. Definitely made a difference.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your asshattery aside, I did think about why all 3 incidents occurred.

I ride on these roads regularly and yesterday was the first time anything serious has happened. Two happened in the morning, the second at night but I had my Niterider and my blinkies on.

The first one there were no parked cars, I assume for street cleaning, so the driver thought she could sneak up the road or maybe do a quick pull over. I was doing 20-25mph, so that adds to the danger. Still she had to look to her right before making a quick maneuver.

The second one where I actually was clipped, she did not signal and her front bumper made contact with my pedal. I knew she was going to make a right even though she hadn't signaled or even pointed her wheels.

I did have right of way and I was not in her blind spot. I could have slowed and let her turn in front of me but I had an out so I wouldn't have to slam into her even if she hadn't stopped.

The third one was at night. I knew by the way she pulled over, she could pull out at any second, but I was in the bike lane, fully visible.

Ultimately, all three drivers were doing something out of the ordinary (for them), didn't spend the extra 1.5 seconds looking around, and probably would have hit a less aware cyclist on a fixie or a junker.

I'm a veteran commuter on a high end mountain bike. Definitely made a difference.
A guy I used to work with has a son that has gotten in about 5 accidents in the past 10 months. Every accident has been someone else's fault. I keep telling my friend he should take away his son's license, he is a danger to himself. All the accidents may have been caused by someone else but the most important skill in driving is not letting the other idiots on the road wreck you. Not trying to bust your balls, your two incidents could easily just be bad luck. But there is certainly something to be said for going out of your way to prevent other people's mistakes impacting your safety. Maybe you should juggle flaming torches while riding or fly a giant bright orange penis shaped flag.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A guy I used to work with has a son that has gotten in about 5 accidents in the past 10 months. Every accident has been someone else's fault. I keep telling my friend he should take away his son's license, he is a danger to himself. All the accidents may have been caused by someone else but the most important skill in driving is not letting the other idiots on the road wreck you. Not trying to bust your balls, your two incidents could easily just be bad luck. But there is certainly something to be said for going out of your way to prevent other people's mistakes impacting your safety. Maybe you should juggle flaming torches while riding or fly a giant bright orange penis shaped flag.
I agree with your assessment of your friend's son.

But I don't remember the last time I've been hit by a car.

At one point I was riding over 100 miles a week through the urban sections of the Bay Area.

Before I moved here, I was racing around the Hartford area, and to give you an idea about my training mileage, I came in 3rd in the criterium state championships and I rode from Hartford to Saratoga Springs, 140 miles in a day.

A few years before that, I bike toured from Seattle to San Francisco.

Before that, New York City bike messenger.

Now I ride aggressively in a major city, and I have close calls every day. But I don't feel out of control and I don't have to perform emergency swerves/braking to prevent accidents.

Yesterday, I was riding in a safe and predictable fashion, except it was in the light rain. And three times yesterday, if I wasn't paying attention and I didn't perform an emergency maneuver, I would have hit a car.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
correction: Women Drivers + Drizzle + Bay Area = Blindness

Something about when the roads get a little wet in the bay - reminds me that most are clueless about how to drive in it. Glad to hear you came out unscathed... take it easy out there.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I agree with your assessment of your friend's son.

But I don't remember the last time I've been hit by a car.

At one point I was riding over 100 miles a week through the urban sections of the Bay Area.

Before I moved here, I was racing around the Hartford area, and to give you an idea about my training mileage, I came in 3rd in the criterium state championships and I rode from Hartford to Saratoga Springs, 140 miles in a day.

A few years before that, I bike toured from Seattle to San Francisco.

Before that, New York City bike messenger.

Now I ride aggressively in a major city, and I have close calls every day. But I don't feel out of control and I don't have to perform emergency swerves/braking to prevent accidents.

Yesterday, I was riding in a safe and predictable fashion, except it was in the light rain. And three times yesterday, if I wasn't paying attention and I didn't perform an emergency maneuver, I would have hit a car.
if your 'tude on the streets is like it is in here, it is a wonder you are still alive.