Quantcast

women in combat

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If a battle broke down to hand to hand combat all the men would stop what they were doing if two chicks started going at it. World peace ensues.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
no wonder they don't have a competitive football team - they always go w/ the same play: "slant right"

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
awwww...the po widdle mens can kill, but for some odd reason can't control themselves around a woman.... (kinda like how women in the middle east must cover themselves up because men can't control themselves).

Woman must be made out of kryptonite.
I realize you are an exceptional woman and most of what i'm going to say doesn't really apply to you, personally.

In World War II Soviet Union had a lot of women snipers and they did a terrific job so I'm not against womenaim some combat situations. Special ops would probably work, I was on a sub and worked with SEALS and they are discplined enough and their selection criteria rigorous enough that they weed out the bad eggs. A Submarine crew might work, although I have some doubts about finding enough women willing to that job especially once they really know what is involved, and I believe the navy is starting a program to allow women on submarines.

Personally I would rather have women all the way in and in every roll and assignment or all the way out. When I was in the navy I knew some very competent women that I would not have minded serving with in a mixed unit. However before I left the navy I was assigned to a submarine tender, just to kill a few months. For me it was the easiest duty I ever had, but it was technically sea duty. It was one of the few places women could get sea duty and they had a requirement of five years of shore duty/two years of sea duty. Men had a requirement of 5 years of sea duty/two years of sea duty. Many(almost a majority) of the women found duty on the sub tender to be so arduous they purposely got pregnant to get a hardship discharge. I was appalled. A majority of women are going to have to harden the **** up, before they are ready to face many of the assignments men in the military get, much less combat. When you are working 18 hours a day you don't have time or patience to deal with a princess who won't pull her weight. I've had to spend 63 out of 72 hours on watch before, and then various other tasks so I got about 4 hours of sleep in three days, the rest of the crew was in the same boat(pun intended), we were all bonded together by a common goal and hardship. People who don't pull their weight aren't tolerated in the "real" military, be they men or women.

Personally I think women today are way too protected and coddled. They aren't expected to perform at the same level as men, all sorts of special of allowances are made. Even in the civilian world I've only rarely seen women in my field work anywhere near the level men do. The department I worked for, they actually have lower physical requirements for women than men. So I guess if a women chases a criminal fences automatically lower themselves, the criminal runs slower and her partner who is shot loses 50% of his weight, and the criminal doesn't pull as hard when he wrestles around trying to take away a gun, just because she is a woman. Must be nice.

In the bureau I worked for, almost everyone was salaried. The women left on time or ahead of schedule. The men stayed handling problems for several hours, everyday. If you walked in at 5:00 pm on a work day you wouldn't see a single female even though half the bureau was female. There was exactly one woman who would work at night or on weekends to get projects done. One. And she would only do it on her schedule. Women need to have the same access to jobs as men and be held to the same qualifications with the same expectations as men. Yet the women who did the least amount of work felt the most "entitled" to promotions, special projects etc, and b*****d the loudest when they weren't given preferential treatment all while complaining about how unfairly they were treated. That was when the two top positions were held by women.

Well that was all over the map but in short the military should at least do a pilot program before the refuse to put women in combat positions. And the majority of women need to bring a lot more game to the table. Again I think you're exceptional and my comments and observations only deal with the women I've worked with.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Sergeant James Wagner, wearing a shirt that said “I keep my unit out of women, so keep women out of my unit,”

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Argh. Wonder how the services will implement. Nothing in the article says they can't keep gender segregation, just that the roles have to be open to women.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Argh. Wonder how the services will implement. Nothing in the article says they can't keep gender segregation, just that the roles have to be open to women.
if they keep them segregated, who will protect them?
will they phase out segregation with a futanaria brigade?
what would we do without rhetorical questions?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The AF didn't already have female fighter pilots? I think naval aviation had them quite some time ago...
article said:
After Col. Jeannie Leavitt finished pilot training at the top of her class in 1992...

Fortunately for Leavitt and all female Airmen with similar aspirations, the following year then-Defense Department Secretary Les Aspin ordered all service branches to drop restrictions on women flying combat missions.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
"It was weird that I could grow a beard and trick them into thinking I was one of them," she writes, describing the experience of dressing up as an Afghan man. "And really I'm an Amazon woman in disguise as a U.S. military guy in disguise as a Pashtun!"
That's some crazy talk right there.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It was weird that I could grow a beard and trick them into thinking I was one of them," she writes, describing the experience of dressing up as an Afghan man. "And really I'm an Amazon woman in disguise as a U.S. military guy in disguise as a Pashtun!"

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
There is a gal here who is a retired male Marine...had the surgery awhile back. I play hockey with a couple SEALS...we rarely talk shop, but it will be hard not to bring this up next time we all get together...they almost always have interesting inputs regarding Special Operators who go public.