Quantcast

Women specific bikes? Marketing hype? Recommendations?

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
The girlfriend is giving her mom back the old steel Giant she's been borrowing from her and is looking at a new road bike. I've been really happy with my Jamis Quest, so it's hard not to recommend that. Are there any other bikes in that price range she could be looking at? Didn't someone mention Rocky Mountain makes a steel road bike?

She's looking at bikes in the Quest price range (105-ish gruppo for $1500 MSRP).

They make a "Femme" version...should she limit herself to women's specific models?

Thanks!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
All women don't necessarily need a women's specific model. I would recommend her going and being professionally fit and that will really help her to find out which bikes are going to be the best for her. I would highly recommend checking out terrybicycles.com if you're interested in a steel road bike. They make women's specific steel bikes. If steel isn't a necessity, I would also recommend checking out the Specialized bikes for women. The higher end Ruby Elite or Tarmac Elite (I've seen them going for about $1500 new) are carbon frame & fork and then there is the Dolce Comp (aluminum frame, carbon fork) for about $1000.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
They make a "Femme" version...should she limit herself to women's specific models?
I've worked with two lines with great women's specific lines; K2 and Specialized, over the past few years. Trek and Giant also have great womens' product by most accounts. The biggest thing to check is that the "women's specific" bike truly is designed for women and not just a "pink it & shrink it" of the guy's bike. This means that there's a lot less chance of having to change the bar, stem, and saddle immediately at purchase.

The biggest thing I've seen/heard about the successful women's product is that they make women want to ride them! Whether it's fit, style, color/graphic, or just the overall concept, if it works and gets more people into cycling I am ALL for it! Let's face it, most guys wouldn't want to ride womens bikes so why should we expect that 51% of the population and 60% of the consumer spenders would want to ride men's bikes?

With that said, if she likes or fits a men's bike better and will be more prone to ride and like it, then go for that.

-ska todd

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
go with getting her fit first. you may find that she doesn't need the womens specific ride. plus with the fit she can get her size down right which in the end is the most important thing.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There is some good advice here. One thing I would say on fit is that if the women's specific bikes you are looking at have different frame geometries, bars, etc. then someone with a more "average" female body type will fit them because that's who they are designed for. That means, compared to men, shorter, longer legs, smaller hands, narrower shoulders... So if the girl is 5'10" and has a short inseam a lot of women's bikes won't even have sizes big enough. That might help as an initial guide. But on the bike fit is most important.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
actually, it's on my mind:

We went to 2 bike shops the other day to let her get a feel of what's out there. Neither place put her on a bike and one of them didn't even acknowledge our presence.

I've never worked at a bike shop, but I would think your goal would be to get every person that walks in the door onto a bike. That's how car salesmen do it.....get them in the car and they'll want it. What's up with bike shops?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
it's happened to me too. and i was the only person in the friggin shop!!! you would figure with the economy as it is that if someone walks into the shop you would at least say hi. some people just don't get it :disgust1: :disgust1:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
What's up with bike shops?

$8-$12 an hour.

You love this dame a bunch right?

I'll dig up the names of the one or two decent shops in DC metro if you want her to end up happy. I think I have baltimore covered if you need it to.

Be warned, if you go to a good shop and work with someone who actually get's selling bikes, she will end up with a bike that fits her better, and is better for her that what you have now... Can you afford to buy two new bikes?

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
$8-$12 an hour.
I understand that. I'm not some crazy person that demands the highest of service and total attention, but I know for a fact the two people that didn't put her on bikes owned their respective shops. I think the one guy was being way too honest for his own good, which I'm respecting in retrospect....the other guy just ignored our presence (which he's pretty much done to me in the past).

I'll dig up the names of the one or two decent shops in DC metro if you want her to end up happy. I think I have baltimore covered if you need it to.

Be warned, if you go to a good shop and work with someone who actually get's selling bikes, she will end up with a bike that fits her better, and is better for her that what you have now... Can you afford to buy two new bikes?
thanks for the offer. we're going to go with the aforementioned honest guy. I do respect that he didn't try to sell us something, though I don't understand it.